Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!
/forum/topic/1169289/1

3       end

sjms
Total Posts: 19544

yeah that makes sense. so many issues so get away from the camera and use it remotely.

turbodude
Total Posts: 1390

No AF when using as a remote, set focus, tape focus ring and forget it, however all the getty shooters I know still rock d4's

sjms

actually I have seen the "remote rigs" AFP used. far from "tape and wait" setups

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/28/remote-camera-mounts-replace-afp-photographers-at-olympic-games/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

nugeny
Total Posts: 5293

I saved the new firmware on a CF. Now what do I?

Kerry Pierce
Total Posts: 3665

stuuke wrote:
Getty had so many issues with them that they only use them for remote cameras at sporting events right now.

Wow! That's not good news and certainly contrary to what I've been seeing from folks posting their experiences. I tried some web searches looking for more information on Getty's problems with the d4, but came up empty. Have you a link that would give more info on it?

thanks
Kerry

stuuke
Total Posts: 1600

Kerry Pierce wrote:
stuuke wrote:
Getty had so many issues with them that they only use them for remote cameras at sporting events right now.

Wow! That's not good news and certainly contrary to what I've been seeing from folks posting their experiences. I tried some web searches looking for more information on Getty's problems with the d4, but came up empty. Have you a link that would give more info on it?

thanks
Kerry

I talked to a local Getty shooter that covered the Olympics. He didn't say 100% of Getty shooters but he did say that it was an issue at the Olympics and that they used them as static remote cameras. The autofocus is a little quirky at times but I've been using mine for action since the day they came out. I wouldn't say that it's as consistent as my D3S but when it's working it does a great job.

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 4099

nugeny wrote:

you need to make sure you saved the .exe file and then opened it to get the .bin file. Put it on the main(root) directory on your card. Turn on the camera(with a fully charged battery) go into the menu and go to Firmware and it will give you the option to change it. Push OK and leave every button alone(sit it down) until it says it's done.

Matt

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 4099

stuuke wrote:
Kerry Pierce wrote:
stuuke wrote:

thanks
Kerry

I talked to a local Getty shooter that covered the Olympics. He didn't say 100% of Getty shooters but he did say that it was an issue at the Olympics and that they used them as static remote cameras. The autofocus is a little quirky at times but I've been using mine for action since the day they came out. I wouldn't say that it's as consistent as my D3S but when it's working it does a great job.

I have a couple of friends who shoot for Getty and after seeing your post I sent a couple of Texts to them. It was news to them of issues with Autofocus. My D4 is way more consistant than my D3s which I still use. Both of my friends said they would check around and see if they can find anything about what you are saying. Because it was news to both of them.

Matt

ZoneV_Nikon
Total Posts: 147

Matt OHarver wrote:
stuuke wrote:
Kerry Pierce wrote:
stuuke wrote:

thanks
Kerry

I have a couple of friends who shoot for Getty and after seeing your post I sent a couple of Texts to them. It was news to them of issues with Autofocus. My D4 is way more consistant than my D3s which I still use. Both of my friends said they would check around and see if they can find anything about what you are saying. Because it was news to both of them.

Matt

What gear are they assigned to, then, if not D4?

ShutteredMe
Total Posts: 2989

Mine seems to be focusing ok...

david debalko
Total Posts: 817

James R wrote:
david debalko wrote:
I just did the firmware update. I don't currently use a tc, I am wondering if I will notice any difference in the AF.

Have people been complaining about the D4's AF? i haven't heard that many complaints about the D4. Don't have a TC 2.0 and why would I want to put Format in My List. Improving the AF would be a plus, but currently it seems excellent, better than the D3s.

I have/had no issues with the AF, I always thought that a new firmware update will bring improvements to the camera. Is there any reason to fear the update and hold off on doing the update?

Steve Perry
Total Posts: 4748

The only time I had AF issues with mine was in the spring shooting black bear. Camera had a terrible time locking on and staying on - no TC just straight 500mm. Not enough contrast I suppose, but my D3x seemed to be able to hold focus OK.

stuuke
Total Posts: 1600

Matt OHarver wrote:
stuuke wrote:
Kerry Pierce wrote:
stuuke wrote:

thanks
Kerry

Matt

I don't know why he would have made it up but I guess it's possible. Just reporting what he said. Obviously it's not an issue for everyone including myself.

ShutteredMe
Total Posts: 2989

david debalko wrote:
James R wrote:
david debalko wrote:
I just did the firmware update. I don't currently use a tc, I am wondering if I will notice any difference in the AF.

Have people been complaining about the D4's AF? i haven't heard that many complaints about the D4. Don't have a TC 2.0 and why would I want to put Format in My List. Improving the AF would be a plus, but currently it seems excellent, better than the D3s.

I have/had no issues with the AF, I always thought that a new firmware update will bring improvements to the camera. Is there any reason to fear the update and hold off on doing the update?

I did the update and haven't noticed anything different, but it sure didn't kill the D4. I don't have a 2x TC anymore, just a 1.7x and 1.4x, but those always seems to be fine with the 600mm and the 300mm.

nugeny

Matt OHarver wrote:
nugeny wrote:

you need to make sure you saved the .exe file and then opened it to get the .bin file. Put it on the main(root) directory on your card. Turn on the camera(with a fully charged battery) go into the menu and go to Firmware and it will give you the option to change it. Push OK and leave every button alone(sit it down) until it says it's done.

Matt

Matt, thanks. That is a lot of instructions.
"you need to make sure you saved the .exe file and then opened it to get the .bin file. Put it on the main(root) directory on your card"

.exe file?
.bin file?
open it?
main(root)?
all mysteries for me.
I may just stay where I am.

AndresG
Total Posts: 40

Do a youtube search on firmware updating.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aQYmN59ZTmo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaQYmN59ZTmo

This may help

sjms

nugeny wrote:
Matt OHarver wrote:
nugeny wrote:

Matt

"you need to make sure you saved the .exe file and then opened it to get the .bin file. Put it on the main(root) directory on your card"

.exe file?
.bin file?
open it?
main(root)?
all mysteries for me.

MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS CHARGED

1- it is simply called: D4_0103.bin
2- drag it from your desktop to a CF or XQD card. do not put it into any other folder on the card.
3- slide the card into the camera and turn the camera on
4- navigate via the left icons to the wrench
5- once in that setup mentu navigate to the end where it says firmware version
6- access the that menu and it will show you 3 pieces of data: A, B and L
7- with the card in your camera in the right location it will see the new file automatically and ask if you wish to update it.
8- do it (takes about 3 minutes)

cohenfive
Total Posts: 2971

i'm still looking for guidance on whether this update does anything noticeable..i sort of hate to wreck a good thing unless it becomes a better thing....

sjms

the only comment I have here is I've done it and the camera functions normally. you generally don't notice all that much with these updates unless they actually add a new function. in this case they optimized a particular situation there are generally other code optimizations and minor fixes (clean ups) that are not listed. you are not taking any real chance here. in the long run if and when the next update shows up you will get whatever was in the last one too.

no fear here.

nugeny

sjms wrote:
nugeny wrote:
Matt OHarver wrote:
nugeny wrote:

Matt

.exe file?
.bin file?
open it?
main(root)?
all mysteries for me.

MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS CHARGED

1- it is simply called: D4_0103.bin
2- drag it from your desktop to a CF or XQD card. do not put it into any other folder on the card.
3- slide the card into the camera and turn the camera on
4- navigate via the left icons to the wrench
5- once in that setup mentu navigate to the end where it says firmware version
6- access the that menu and it will show you 3 pieces of data: A, B and L
7- with the card in your camera in the right location it will see the new file automatically and ask if you wish to update it.
8- do it (takes about 3 minutes)

thanks for help. I am getting closer, not quite.
I downloaded and copy the file D4-0103.bin--- D4Update to both XQD and CF, not under any file.
When I accessed setup, firmware it showed: only A:1.01 B:1.01 and L:1.004 and: done,OK
There was no option for update and it doesn't show the new firmware 103

3       end