Before sunrise at the Salts
/forum/topic/1168993/1

3       end

teked
Total Posts: 7172

Superb capture, Fred. I also agree with the comments from Scott and Jim.

Cheers,
Ed

michael49
Total Posts: 5434

Awesome!!

Jude Perera
Total Posts: 8051

Super shot. The movement in the clouds adds up interest to the image.

Jude

nburwell
Total Posts: 3401

Awesome shot, Fred! I love how you utilized the long exposure to capture the clouds moving.

-Nick

Mike K
Total Posts: 2252

Fred,
Good use of your modified filter holder on the 17mm TSE creating a really expansive capture. Terrific! Using the same lens without the filter, I would have to do an exposure bracket to get decent sky/salt flat frames.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1081875/0?keyword=filter#10300793

Was your tilt angle close to maximal (camera lens 5" off the ground plane?). Belly to the deck!
Mike K

capt don
Total Posts: 874

Fred, awesome shot, love the contrast between the salt and the sky and the detail in both. I use my 24mm t&s and wish I could justify owning the 17mm. Great shot.

Mirza Ahmad
Total Posts: 1243

Beautiful.
Mirza

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3877

Guess I will spend some more time in the landscape devision of this forum in the next future. Amazing shots here ...

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17912

gregfountain wrote:
Beautiful...makes me want to go to Death Valley and try Landscape photography!

Greg

That is what this board is all about. I keep drooling at some work posted here and that motivates me to get my gear and hit the road.

Fred Miranda

Mike K wrote:
Fred,
Good use of your modified filter holder on the 17mm TSE creating a really expansive capture. Terrific! Using the same lens without the filter, I would have to do an exposure bracket to get decent sky/salt flat frames.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1081875/0?keyword=filter#10300793

Was your tilt angle close to maximal (camera lens 5" off the ground plane?). Belly to the deck!
Mike K

Mike,
The 17mm TS-E filter adapter is a great tool and I use it all the time. It's well worth the extra effort putting it together. The best part, is that I can use the same filters on all my the lenses. I don't recall the tilt angle but was not 'belly to the deck' for this one.
Take care,
Fred

Jfarmer
Total Posts: 3379

Love the low angle and textures that it brought out.
Jon

John MacLean
Total Posts: 391

Fred Miranda wrote:
Scott Kroeker wrote:
Great light and atmosphere Fred. A couple things and this is only personal taste is that the foreground seems too bright in comparison with the rest of the scene. The centered horizon is also something that I am not sure about. Since the fg is such a dominate feature maybe a little more of it to anchor the image better. Now it is a visual battle of fg vs sky. Both of which are great but both are fighting for the viewer's attention. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just my 2 pennies.

Thanks for the feedback Scott. The foreground color and luminosity are always a difficult decision for me when preparing images like this one. I usually have more color and less exposure on the foreground. For this one however, I was going for a different look. I will try your suggestions.
Fred

Fred, Awesome shot! But I agree with Scott. I would consider using the Adjustment Brush and boosting the Shadows and Exposure sliders a bit on the center section.

Best,
John

Sankar Salvady
Total Posts: 50

Great shot Fred. With both the foreground and the sky havings something equal to offer, placement of horizon in the middle works for me in this shot.

mike.way
Total Posts: 611

Beautiful. Elemental dawn colors from yellow to orange, set off by blues above and harsh gray textures below. Quite a capture, thanks for sharing.

Mike

scottiedds
Total Posts: 82

You are a badd man Fred !!!!

Tim Kuhn
Total Posts: 45235

I'm looking and learning from this one Fred, needless to say excellent work. In my eye I would be wary of having the sharp lower foreground and soft clouds but.... it works way better than I would have thought it would.

Tim

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

Great and very dramatic shot Fred

Fred Miranda

Thank you all for the comments. I really appreciate the feedback.
All the best,
Fred

Jim Sanderson
Total Posts: 3595

Still having fun with your Death Valley shots I see. I think this is one of the best. Nice shot.

Jim

AMaji
Total Posts: 2436

Great shot... the perspective and the contrast of the textures make it a great shot.

3       end