Remote SW Vista
/forum/topic/1168509/2

1       2      
       4       end

Bsmooth
Total Posts: 929

I just discovered Luminosity Masking myself about a month ago, and really started using Photoshop CS6 about 2 months ago after using CS3 for about 2 or 3 years.
This method looks interesting, I really do hope you have a tutorial here at FM soon.
I realize some do better with video tutorials and some better with written word tutorials.
I think written word ones are better myself as you can skip around and reread parts that aren't understood as easily, whereas in a video, you have to "find" where the part is and then keep going back to it.
Looking forward to seeing that tutorial soon !
That image transformation is pretting amazing

gdanmitchell
Total Posts: 9219

After playing with "blend if" a bit more and thinking about where it does/doesn't improve on the alternatives:

- It seems like it might be faster in some cases, though alternative "tricks" (like "locking down" points on masked curves) can accomplish similar things pretty quickly and effectively, too.

- The notion of controlling the width of the region in which the blend takes place calls for a bit of caution. Essentially, in that luminosity zone, the curve gets compressed - what a friend refers to as visual constipation. In an image in which that range of luminosity holds less important image information, that could be OK, but careful!

- it is certainly worth having in the bag of tricks... but it doesn't replace the need for certain other techniques, notably the careful use of masks of various sorts.

Take care,

Dan

Lee Wiren
Total Posts: 854

Very nice shot... reminds me of the Painted Hills here in Oregon... just so much cooler! Great post work and wonderful pic.

Lee

Mark Metternich
Total Posts: 7170

gdanmitchell wrote:
After playing with "blend if" a bit more and thinking about where it does/doesn't improve on the alternatives:

- It seems like it might be faster in some cases, though alternative "tricks" (like "locking down" points on masked curves) can accomplish similar things pretty quickly and effectively, too.

- The notion of controlling the width of the region in which the blend takes place calls for a bit of caution. Essentially, in that luminosity zone, the curve gets compressed - what a friend refers to as visual constipation. In an image in which that range of luminosity holds less important image information, that could be OK, but careful!

- it is certainly worth having in the bag of tricks... but it doesn't replace the need for certain other techniques, notably the careful use of masks of various sorts.

Take care,

Dan

Dan, I appreciate your thoughtful feedback here. After getting to know many Photoshop "gurus" over the years it is obvious that at the advanced level most have their own way of doing things. Having said that, I cannot explain in words here all that I do with "Blend If". It would have to be seen because a lot of it is far beyond description. It has totally revolutionized my workflow over the last few years, and I am one who has both used and taught every technique imaginable. In no way is it in my "bag of tricks." It is my "bread and butter" go to, for most of my blending issues. Even my recent video only hits on how I use them to control dynamic range and how to use them for advanced dodging and burning. There is a whole world of other things I use them for.

The written tutorial will be very basic in comparison to all that can be done. But that should help a lot of folks at least try it. For some it will open up a whole new world of blending made simpler with no comprise in power.

Slabshaft
Total Posts: 286

I have yet to hear of any problems with the public being on this site. I've been there 3 times with no issues. Although we were the ONLY people there. I'm pretty sure they prefer a bit of tourism anyway. If the tribe could charge you to get in the would. Trust me. Until the tribes figure out who owns it, we should be free to enjoy it. It's Blue Canyon that is the iffy one because I THINK it's on private property and the owner has been rumored to kick people out.

Mark Metternich

Slabshaft wrote:
It's Blue Canyon that is the iffy one because I THINK it's on private property and the owner has been rumored to kick people out.

Or shoot at them!

Just kidding.

Mark Metternich

roman.johnston wrote:
Well seen, recorded and processed Mark...

I cant wait to get back in the SW next year (gonna be in Page area for my birthday next fall....late celebration)

Roman

YAY for you! Really, I am glad. It is such a nice "change up" from the NW from time to time.

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6560

The written tutorial will be very basic in comparison

Will this posted here by any chance? I played around with it a little, but would love to see even a modestly thorough description of it's use to get a better idea of how it works! Thanks for sharing your work!

Greg

Mark Metternich

gregfountain wrote:
The written tutorial will be very basic in comparison

Will this posted here by any chance? I played around with it a little, but would love to see even a modestly thorough description of it's use to get a better idea of how it works! Thanks for sharing your work!

Greg

I was told the tutorial article would go: "to the Main Articles page of the site as well as Facebook, twitter, front page, etc."

Hope it helps.

ShaneB77
Total Posts: 87

My God, what a transformation. That's incredible.

thw2
Total Posts: 2839

What an awesome shot. Don't think I know where this is. Thanks for sharing your postprocessing technique.

Mark Metternich

thw2 wrote:
What an awesome shot. Thanks for sharing your postprocessing technique.

Thank you very much for the compliment. I will be sharing a lot more about the technique here very soon.

BennyR
Total Posts: 1423

Great post and photo Mark.

Benson

ashok
Total Posts: 71

Hi

This is excellent shot specially the way you have post processed it. The colors are true to the location. If I am not too far from it the guess is it coal canyon? if not would you mind disclosing the location.

Thanks and keep up good work

Mark Metternich

ashok wrote:
Hi

This is excellent shot specially the way you have post processed it. The colors are true to the location. If I am not too far from it the guess is it coal canyon? if not would you mind disclosing the location.

Thanks and keep up good work

Coal Mine. The green is unusual and it surprised my client and I. They had recently had some rains and the green grass just pops up everywhere when the desert gets any real rain.

Thanks on the processing compliment.

Nigel Turner
Total Posts: 467

Hi Mark,

Very nice capture and great to see a somewhat different viewpoint from the normal one.

There is so much to see and capture on the Navajo Nation but they make it so difficult to gain access to their lands.

I could say to them 'open it up and charge' but look at Antelope for where that has gone.

So I guess the best option is to leave things as they are and keep it less well known.

How's life in Oregon?

Cheers,
Nigel.

Mark Metternich

Nigel Turner wrote:
How's life in Oregon?

Cheers,
Nigel.

thank you Nig

Thank you Nigel. Life is good. I am living where I love and am very, very fortunate to be able to travel to many other locations during different seasons of the year. All is very well. I hope things are well for you too.

Mark Metternich

Mr Grimm wrote:
I absolutely love your transparency Mark. Nothing held back and no secrets to hide. That is the sign of someone who is truly confident in their work.

If only more pros would take the time to post untouched raw files. It might give more people the inspiration to look past the boring shades of grey prior to processing and see what hidden colours can be brought out. Im off to go look through some old files now Thanks!

Thank you very much for this compliment. I think it takes many years to develop confidence. I, like anyone else, did not have that in earlier years. It comes slowly, sometimes painfully and in time. I used to hold fast to every thing I learned as a secret to try to get an advantage over my competition (I have been admittedly way too competitive over the years) but as time went on I began to realize that I am not competing with anyone! There is a huge world out there and plenty enough room for everyone to do well in it. If someone benefits from learning a technique I share, great. I guess what I am saying is, I used to have it in my mind that we need to be careful not to create our own competition. That may be true in some fields, but I don't see that anymore in the case of myself and Landscape/Nature Photography. If someone else does really well in the field, it has no detrimental effect on my life whatsoever. Yet, if I learn to be more generous in helping others (and I, as much as any, am in process) then my life gets enriched. As an example, the other day I was going through stuff and found all my folders of past student/clients when I was living in Vegas. This is not including my growing Skype clients I had. I was totally stunned to see all the clients (relationships) I have had and all that they got taught! Some have even gone on to be professionals. Time flies and as I age (I'm certainly not old yet) I realize more and more it is really the giving that is meaningful.

Scott Stoness
Total Posts: 9822

Mark: This is very nice and shows what a skilled developer can achieve. Great picture. Thanks for sharing. Scott

genefixer
Total Posts: 6419

Mark

Masterfully processed!! You are a magician!!

Beautiful surrealism!!

Mike

1       2      
       4       end