Graphite tripod maintenance.
/forum/topic/1167981/1

end

sjms
Total Posts: 19582

That's quite a bit of weight savings my friend. 2lbs is roughly 30% and that's a lot considering. For you the TVC-2x would be a better choice i think

ben egbert
Total Posts: 7164

My small landscape only bag + tripod is 23 pounds. Going from 23 to 21 is what I see. This is leaving my 70-200 out. My vest weighs at least 5 pounds.

sjms

I do my calculations on a per component level. that then gives me the opportunity to look at the other parts that make up the whole and see what can be done with each individual one to reach a particular theoretical or real world goal I have in mind.

remember that will be 2lbs you are not carrying around. it's a start.

ben egbert

I have a new lens arriving tomorrow. I will put my bag together and weigh it again, and see what the total is.

ben egbert

Ok new weigh in with new lens set.

The vest is actually 3 pounds, the bag 11 and the tripod still 7. A grand total of 21. Or 19 with a RRS TC2 with head and column. I could save a bit by eliminating the column but that is one feature I really want. In fact I would like to have a leveling head too, but that just adds more weight.

peter_n
Total Posts: 878

ben egbert wrote: But the need to take it apart and clean it and regrease it put me off. Not just the work, I have plenty of time to do this, itís the need that puts me off.

They mostly just work. It's really not that hard, just tedious. This last weekend I just re-greased a series-3 Gitzo because I didn't like the way the twist locks worked. It seems Gitzo use some kind of graphite-based grease which I removed and replaced with auto white lithium grease. Now the locks are nice and smooth.

ben egbert wrote: The 2 series is starting to look like not much weight savings.The new 2-series is a systematic and if you're going to use a center column all the time it might make sense for you to buy a used 2-series from their previous generation of tripods. The new systematic range from Gitzo are all heavier than the previous generation and the 2-series is no exception. A previous generation GT2541 weighs 3lbs including center column. Actually you might be able to get a new one at a good price at the moment: B&H are selling the 2541 for $510 with a rebate.

sjms

ben egbert wrote:
Ok new weigh in with new lens set.

The vest is actually 3 pounds, the bag 11 and the tripod still 7. A grand total of 21. Or 19 with a RRS TC2 with head and column. I could save a bit by eliminating the column but that is one feature I really want. In fact I would like to have a leveling head too, but that just adds more weight.

My TVC 33 has the leveling head on semi permanently

peter_n
Total Posts: 878

I've not had the RRS leveling head off my 3541LS since it arrived. It's a very nice design.

end