Capture NX2 upgrade ?
/forum/topic/1167808/0

allstarimaging
Total Posts: 1852

Hello,

I've had Capture NX2 on my MAC for a long time. I needed to upgrade to the latest version to process files from a D800. It appears that my previous versions ID code is not valid and it seems as tough I would need to purchase the latest version to use Capture NX2. I have a fully operational Capture NX2 version 2.2.7 and now the new version (2.3.5) is telling me I need to buy a code. Is that correct or am I doing something wrong here??

Jack

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7177

Hi, Jack, you are inputting five groups of five characters? Maybe you need to trash the preferences and then install it?

lou f
Total Posts: 5205

from nikons nx2 page

This software will update a previously installed full version of Capture NX Ver 2.3.0 - Ver 2.3.4 to Ver 2.3.5. Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.3.0 - Ver 2.3.4 must be installed before proceeding with this update.

you should have a code for capture nx and capture nx2 and i think your only alowed to load the sf on to 5 computers with those codes. pretty sure they started enforcing the code limit a while back so you may need to delete nx/nx2 off an old machine or something. i know i got a limit warning once a while ago but i did something or other but cant remeber what, probably a full reinstall.

allstarimaging
Total Posts: 1852

My issue is that my current version of Capture NX2 has 4 sets of 5 digit numbers for the product key. The new version is looking for 5 sets of 5 digit numbers.
Jack

James R
Total Posts: 4802

I had the same problem as you did when I upgraded CapNX2. Contracted customer support and the fun began. Couldn't peovide what they consider a valid serial number, even though it worked. I had to provide proof of purchase, since they don't have records of who owns its products (my assumption.) So, I took a pic of the original software disk, showing the serial number, and send them a screen capture. A couple days later I received a new serial number to use, All this for a program I rarely, if ever, use.

Happy Thanksgiving.

NightOwl Cat

It only shows four groups of five in the Help, About, screen, but I got five / five with both CaptureNX and CaptureNX2 upgrade. If you put it in your MyNikon account, you can go back and dig it out of there, too, as it stores all five groups.

Happy Thanksgiving, Jack, and watch out for the wild turkeys in the neighborhood

JBPhotog
Total Posts: 521

You will need to upgrade in an incremental manner as you have not kept up with the software updates. As stated on Nikon's website, you can not upgrade from 2.2.7 to the latest version, you will need to find the update from 2.2.7 to 2.3.0 then do the upgrade. And the key is five groups of five which your software will already implement if you do an incremental upgrade. HTH

runamuck
Total Posts: 6449

Nikon only shows 4 groups. Your original install program has 5 sets. Use that number for the update.

Bernie
Total Posts: 4077

When I tried upgrading NX2 over a year ago and they wanted 2 license codes, the second from I don't know how many years ago from NX (?), it became obvious to me that Nikon does not want software customers.

I know some still swear by NX2 providing the best conversions, but I found that it can no longer compete against ACR. Maybe you need to work a little more in getting the colors you want, but in terms of IQ, noise control, flexibility, and speed, ACR wins hands down IMHO. ACR and CS6 have certainly extended the life of my D300...

ytwong
Total Posts: 1497

I wish ACR is good as NX2 since I need to deal with multiple raw formats (Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and sometimes Ricoh and Canon), but NX2 is still much better (quality wise) than ACR.

Noise control.. you can try to see if the new NR 2012 is better (if you shoot high iso, NR 2012 is not used by default but the older one is used instead)

Longitudinal CA correction.. I think this is not used by default but when you need it, it works great. I don't think there is such function in ACR.

CA/fringing.. NX2 can deal with them automatically, but I need to use brush to do the same in ACR (otherwise fringing removal can give odd results).

Distortion correction.. I think Nikon knew their lens...

ACR seems better for highlight recovery, and I kinda like ACR's gradual filter.

Wes Bailey
Total Posts: 115

I find this of interest because I just installed a trial version of CaptureNX2 - version 2.0.0 which came with my recently purchased used D700.

What happens after the trial period if I elect to register the software? It seems to me I'd end up purchasing a license for my current old version then have to buy an upgrade license. But what about the incremental upgrade issue? I'm new to Nikon and have no idea about how this all works so I apologize for my ignorance.

lou f
Total Posts: 5205

capture nx is the 1st version you need a licence for and capture nx 2 you also need a licence for, so two licence. i found nikon mall the cheapest place to get a licence for nx2.

runamuck
Total Posts: 6449

Wes Bailey wrote:
I find this of interest because I just installed a trial version of CaptureNX2 - version 2.0.0 which came with my recently purchased used D700.

What happens after the trial period if I elect to register the software? It seems to me I'd end up purchasing a license for my current old version then have to buy an upgrade license. But what about the incremental upgrade issue? I'm new to Nikon and have no idea about how this all works so I apologize for my ignorance.

You can upgrade without a license within the trial period. Also, the license for 2.0.0 will be good for updates also. When I updated, one required re-entering my serial #. 2 others didn't.

NightOwl Cat

So Jack, just curious, did you ever resolve this?

mhayes5254
Total Posts: 1688

I had to do what James R did

Wes Bailey
Total Posts: 115

runamuck wrote:
Wes Bailey wrote:

You can upgrade without a license within the trial period. Also, the license for 2.0.0 will be good for updates also. When I updated, one required re-entering my serial #. 2 others didn't.

When I try to update Capture NX2 I receive an error message from the Nikon Message Center that I could not communicate with the Nikon server - this message occurs every time I've tried to update the software. Any thoughts?