Post-Deployment Lens Advice
/forum/topic/1166174/1

end

mttran
Total Posts: 6239

I would add Eg-S focus screen to your 5D2 if you plan to shoot with any fast lenses.

DRosdahl
Total Posts: 226

Great news, just about 1 month left before I go home! The time has come though to make this purchase. I have decided on the 35mm focal length, but with the new F2 IS, Sigma 1.4 and of course the 35L I must ask; which one do I go for? I am not too worried about the price, as previously mentioned I just want the best lens for travel, portrait and everyday use out of these three. I am leaning towards the 35L, but the IS and the Sigma look promising...help!

cputeq
Total Posts: 4242

DRosdahl wrote:
Great news, just about 1 month left before I go home! The time has come though to make this purchase. I have decided on the 35mm focal length, but with the new F2 IS, Sigma 1.4 and of course the 35L I must ask; which one do I go for? I am not too worried about the price, as previously mentioned I just want the best lens for travel, portrait and everyday use out of these three. I am leaning towards the 35L, but the IS and the Sigma look promising...help!

Meh, IMO at 35mm, f/1.4 > F/2+IS.

As to 35L vs Sigma 35 - seems like most people have good luck with the Sigma 35, which is sharper than the L. Up to you whether you want to try with the Sigma or not.

robbymack
Total Posts: 310

First and foremost thank you for your service.

I'd get the sigma. Looks like its a cracker of a lens, plus saves you a few pennies which can be put toward that new kid of yours. Enjoy!

Tom Dix
Total Posts: 1612

35l

jojomon11
Total Posts: 6983

Agree with David, excellent combo and advice

Phil

Chris Anthony
Total Posts: 378

I could care less what lens you buy. I just want to thank you for your service.

With that said, I'd be looking at the 35l, but I have crop bodies and 50mm isn't that appealing so my advice is probably irrelevent

Paul Mo
Total Posts: 2393

I agree with DavidP.

I love my 135 but for kids it's too long. It's for street photography or formal (where they will keep still) portraits.

35 to 85 gives a nice balance of focal lengths. Plus, in owning the 85 and 135 you're almost doubling up on FL's - one or the other, not both.

John_T
Total Posts: 2808

Thought about getting the EF 40 2.8 STM pancake? It's a cracker and costs little enough that you could still add another lens without breaking the bank.

outlawyer
Total Posts: 1377

Sounds like you already have the perfect lens for the shooting you describe, the 85.
I know how the lens bug is, though.

FWIW, I wanted so badly to love the 50L, but it was unrequited. People love it, but IMO it's the odd duck in the range from 35L to 135L, odd in that the others are so much more reliable and...better.
If I had the 5DII with its MA ability the Sigma 50 would definitely be worth a try.
But between the 35 and 50L, no contest in my book. 35L FTW.
YMMV.

bhollis
Total Posts: 69

Thank you for your service and come home safe.

I vote for keeping the 85 f/1.8 and getting the new Sigma 35 f/1.4.

DRosdahl

Well, after extensive deliberation and some serious sweet talking to my wife and self I decied to go with the 24-70 II. I have never been a big fan of my 24-105L and I decided that the 1.4 aperture wouldn't really be used as often as the 2.8-4.0 range with a mobile little child. The flexibility of the normal zoom coupled with the phenomenal reviews sold me! Thanks again for all of your advice and support. I will get some pictures up of my little family reunited as soon as possible!

Cheers.

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4388

Honestly, any L prime between 14 and 135mm is a winner. haha!
I've bought many a lens/camera due to deployments or short tours, so I know where you're coming from.

The 24-105 is an incredibly useful lens, don't ditch it.
The 85/1.8 is a HUGE value lens in the EF line.
The 50L is an awesome lens, but like others have said, I think a 35 would be a better pair to the 85. Especially since you already have all of these FL's covered by the zoom.

subjectochange
Total Posts: 104

Thanks for your service! I think you made a very smart choice to grab the 24-70 II. I rented that last month when i visited Wyoming, and the autofocus is incredibly reliable with impressive sharpness. I'd call it the best zoom, but the 70-200 2.8 II is right there, too. IQ-wise they are so close, but I do have a slightly higher keeper rate with the tele zoom, given the IS.

Are you still keeping the 85 1.8? I think that is an excellent pairing with the 24-70 for portraits.

DRosdahl

Agreed on the 24-105, but unfortunately my wife limits my number of lenses pretty strictly.

I am definitely keeping the 85 1.8, love the lens and the bokeh that comes from it. Can't wait to get my hands on the 24-70!

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4388

ahh, didn't see your last post- I think the 24-70 + 85 combo will be great!

DRosdahl

ISO1600 wrote:
ahh, didn't see your last post- I think the 24-70 + 85 combo will be great!

I think so too! Now I just need to get home and use them both!

end