Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??
/forum/topic/1166160/0

MBMK
Total Posts: 1896

Never had any lens serviced but the 35's been giving me trouble since day 1. I should have sent it in back then but with busy schedule I've lost track.

So I sent the 35L for servicing because the focus is off. It's very soft. Even between f2 to 2.8 it's just too soft. It shouldn't be. I could understand at wide open which I never really do.

So I sent it to have it calibrated and they quoted me $179 plus $16 for shipping. Does this sound fair?

DannyBostwick
Total Posts: 439

Dude they're prices must be going up. Flashstand got blown over last week, it sucks, but it happens, It's always been about 80 bucks to fix, this time it was 120. Frustrating.

sboerup
Total Posts: 9726

Where else would you send it? Fairness is often equated through comparison, so if you have nothing to compare it too then who knows I personally wouldn't trust it to anyone but Canon.

joelconner
Total Posts: 3533

I had a lens with a messed up AF fixed for $50 a few years back. I sent in our 24-70 a while ago, and it was a $220 for the same type of issue...yikes.

MBMK

Thanks guys. I am not trying to compare it with any other companies. I am jsut wondering if you've sent your lens to Canon lately and got asked to pay around that much.

So looks like the price is going up for Canon. Kindda sad....I'll pay it though.

JR Magat
Total Posts: 2246

Yeah, any repair sucks if it's not covered under warranty...

$195 is a tough pill to shallow, but i'd say its well worth it if it comes back and performs the way it should. Like Spencer mentioned, I wouldn't trust any other place to repair other than Canon

Mitch W
Total Posts: 2773

I paid $240ish recently to have my 50L dialed in at CPS. It's now my sharpest and most used lens, so that helped sooth the sting of the repair cost. I'm having similar issues with the 35L as you (since moving to the 5D3) so that will go in at some point as well. Or I may sell it and get the 24L instead, not sure yet.

lilyphoto
Total Posts: 588

I've found that if you call and talk to an actual person you can sometimes get them to agree to do it for free. I have done this before. Basically mention the $$ you paid and that such an expensive item should perform flawlessly.

It's been a while since I've done it but it worked for me in the past. :-)

Mitch W
Total Posts: 2773

lilyphoto wrote:
I've found that if you call and talk to an actual person you can sometimes get them to agree to do it for free. I have done this before. Basically mention the $$ you paid and that such an expensive item should perform flawlessly.

Great idea... never hurts to ask. At the very least maybe they'll come down on the cost.

MBMK

lilyphoto wrote:

Oh NOW you say it! I just paid them over the phone 20 minutes ago!

lilyphoto
Total Posts: 588

MBMK wrote:
lilyphoto wrote:

Oh NOW you say it! I just paid them over the phone 20 minutes ago!

Hah -- oops! Well now you know to try.

Prettym1k3
Total Posts: 1502

Could be an industry wide thing. Sent in an SB-600 not too long ago and it was $140 to repair a $200 flash.

Also, just sent by D700 in for a check-up and new grips. $143.

joosay
Total Posts: 1245

Is that with CPS?

WNStudio
Total Posts: 1152

It'll be too much if nothing changes- If it will work then worth every $. I guess you'll find out soon
And talking to real people couldn't harm.

MBMK

joosay wrote:
Is that with CPS?

No CPS

Ghost
Total Posts: 2014

I say that's pretty reasonable.

My 17-40L had a focus problem. Sent in to Canon Canada. It was out of warranty. Before they even want to open the box to inspect they want me to pre-authorized a minimum $240 charge. I asked why. The rep said because it is an L lens.
Fortunately the final cost to fix it was pegged at $240. Imagine it still had to go up from there!!! They had to replace the USM motor.

LivLif
Total Posts: 1823

Are you guys equipment out of warranty? I just sent in a 70-200 2.8 VRll, 85 1.4G, 35 1.4G and got them all cleaned, calibrated, and the lens mount replaced on the 70-200. All of it was free of charge. Sent them into Nikon Melville. All lenses are under warranty though.

BGP1
Total Posts: 902

$200 sucks but better than a useless $1400 paperweight for a lens. CPS gold is $100/year but you would have saved 30% on the repair and free shipping.

fastcarsspeed
Total Posts: 282

I really think Canon is pushing CPS and that is why they went to the points system. The cost of CPS Gold and the discount we get for it has made it up. Sending in bodies for clean and checks and also having loaners and demo's comes in handy. We are going to test the 5D III in a couple weeks from CPS to see if I want to plunk down the funds.