6D -3 EV???
/forum/topic/1165802/0

2       3       4       end

esanchez
Total Posts: 1463

What does it mean that the 6D has "center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV" and what makes it special?

BrianO
Total Posts: 8551

"EV" means exposure value, and is an indication of the amount of light. The system was developed by a German photographer and shutter maker named Friedrich Deckel in the 1950s. At any given exposure value there are a number of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed combinations, known as equivalents, that will give the same exposure.

EV -3 is pretty dim, and many cameras' autofocus systems will not be able to lock onto a subject with so little light; so the 6D's AF capability in low light is pretty astounding. It would be great for wedding and event photographers, and anyone doing a lot of existing light photography.

For an idea of how dim EV -3 is, if you were using an f/1.4 lens at ISO 100 you'd need a shutter speed of 15 seconds. It's about as much light as a moonlit night.

The regular AF sensors work by locking onto areas with distinct patterns and comparing the phase shift as they rack focus. (Live View Focus uses a different method, Contrast Detection.) "Cross-type" sensors can work with either vertical or horizontal lines on subjects, making them more accurate with a variety of subjects.

Bijltje
Total Posts: 815

BrianO wrote:
"EV" means exposure value, and is an indication of the amount of light. The system was developed by a German photographer and shutter maker named Friedrich Deckel in the 1950s. At any given exposure value there are a number of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed combinations, known as equivalents, that will give the same exposure.

EV -3 is pretty dim, and many cameras' autofocus systems will not be able to lock onto a subject with so little light; so the 6D's AF capability in low light is pretty astounding. It would be great for wedding and event photographers, and anyone doing a lot of existing light photography.

For an idea of how dim EV -3 is, if you were using an f/1.4 lens at ISO 100 you'd need a shutter speed of 15 seconds. It's about as much light as a moonlit night.

The regular AF sensors work by locking onto areas with distinct patterns and comparing the phase shift as they rack focus. (Live View Focus uses a different method, Contrast Detection.) "Cross-type" sensors can work with either vertical or horizontal lines on subjects, making them more accurate with a variety of subjects.

Thanks for the clear explanation!
For comp arising, do u also know the EV's of other camera's autofocus? For example the 5D3 and 30D?

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11645

I think 5d3 is -2 and the 1div/iii is -1.
I had this pamphlet that canon sent me and it had all of the EV of cameras minus the 6d, 1dx and 5d3.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3898

Bijltje wrote:
BrianO wrote:

Thanks for the clear explanation!
For comp arising, do u also know the EV's of other camera's autofocus? For example the 5D3 and 30D?

5D IIIs AF went down to -2 EV (like 1D Xs
5D IIs AF offers - 0.5 EV, EOS 30, 40, 50, 60D the same

onegreatcity
Total Posts: 1405

This was new and useful information for me, thanks all.

WesN
Total Posts: 2002

I just checked the Canon Camera Museum and as others mentioned the 5DIII is -2 and the 30D is -0.5.

Wes N.

Ralph Conway

What makes it special?

When I tested the 6D, Canon offered a darkened cave beside the (photokina) booth.
I did a test shot with 50mm 1.4 at ISO 12.800 (as far I remember). I did not really recognize any motive, just realised some less darker spots I targeted upon. The AF grabed immediatelly without any hunting and I did the picture. Watching the screen I recogniced I was shooting something like a collection of boxes glued to the "caves wall" and zooming into the picture I could read the text printed on them! It looked razorsharp (in focus). That felt mind blowing (my mind, of course ).

PhilDrinkwater
Total Posts: 1936

There is another element other than just EV - it's the general effectiveness of the focus system and whether a point is cross or non cross (or dual cross in the 5d3/1dx AF system).

I've never really believed the 5dii's (centre point) AF system was effective in particularly dark conditions. It was "OK".

PhilDrinkwater
Total Posts: 1936

Ralph Conway wrote:
What makes it special?

When I tested the 6D, Canon offered a darkened cave beside the (photokina) booth.
I did a test shot with 50mm 1.4 at ISO 12.800 (as far I remember). I did not really recognize any motive, just realised some less darker spots I targeted upon. The AF graped immediatelly without any hunting and I did the picture. Watching the screen I recogniced I was shooting something like a collection of boxes glued to the "caves wall" and zooming into the picture I could read the text printed on them! It looked razorsharp (in focus). That felt mind blowing (my mind, of course ).

Ralph Conway

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
There is another element other than just EV - it's the general effectiveness of the focus system and whether a point is cross or non cross (or dual cross in the 5d3/1dx AF system).

I've never really believed the 5dii's (centre point) AF system was effective in particularly dark conditions. It was "OK".

+ 100

Tom Dix
Total Posts: 1690

Maybe Ralph is correct about the 6D. It just may be a truly outstanding camera at about 2K; price most surely to settle lower. It has piqued my interest in this camera.

esanchez
Total Posts: 1463

Thanks for the info guys... So it's sounds like a killer low light camera. High ISO, -3EV, along with F1.2 - F2 lens...huh...

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1528

I don't think Canon has ever released the sensitivity of the outer points of 5D Mark II. Anyone knows how sensitive they are?

WesN
Total Posts: 2002

Canon Museum says 5DII is -0.5 (obviously the center point), no mention of the outer points.

fraga
Total Posts: 2239

If memory serves me correctly, -3EV is for the center point only.

Wahoowa

WesN wrote:
Canon Museum says 5DII is -0.5 (obviously the center point), no mention of the outer points.

In my opinion, I doubt they go as low as -0.5 EV. I believe 6D is the first camera ever that Canon reveals the sensitivity of the outer focus points that are not cross-type. One test that I'd like to do if I could get my hands on both 5D2 and 6D is to test them side-by-side on the performance of the outer focus points. If they have the same sensitivity, I guess we're all screwed by Canon, big time.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19910

Wahoowa wrote:
I don't think Canon has ever released the sensitivity of the outer points of 5D Mark II. Anyone knows how sensitive they are?

+10EV

Wahoowa

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Wahoowa wrote:

+10EV

With how those points actually work in the field, it's reasonable to think that's the case, isn't it.

Ralph Conway

Yes, only center point works -3 EV.

And yes, the outer points are no cross-type, but in my experience they worked very fine compared to those in my 5D II. I did this test on photokina, Wahoowa, even it was quick and basic.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1150348/4#10986968

Ralph

2       3       4       end