Anyone use InDesign for albums?
/forum/topic/1165674/0

dnapsqm
Total Posts: 555

I am trying it for the first time and looking for advice when adding text to the album. When I export the album as a jpeg (so I can send it to my lab) the text looks jagged. What is the best way to ensure the text prints smoothly? There seems to be no anti aliasing option for text in CS5 version?

joelconner
Total Posts: 3818

the export to jpg option in CS5 does not work well for everyone. Apparently, the issue was fixed in CS6, but in CS5 we export to pdf then batch convert them to jpg

abadass
Total Posts: 205

joelconner wrote:
the export to jpg option in CS5 does not work well for everyone. Apparently, the issue was fixed in CS6, but in CS5 we export to pdf then batch convert them to jpg

+1

I've never printed albums before but I use InDesign CS5 a lot for my design work and exporting to jpeg gives me bad results. Exporting to High Quality PDF gives me the best quality.

TTLKurtis
Total Posts: 9916

Joel what issue do you have exporting to JPG?

joelconner

lots of artifacts...looks very low-res

mccallmedia
Total Posts: 382

Yes, and as others said export to pdf. Always export as pdf from indesign if it's for print. All newspapers, magazines, etc. do this. I use to design newspaper and magazine pages. If you need to save as jpeg, export as pdf, pull it into photoshop, then save as jpeg. For some reason, indesign has issues exporting jpegs, whereas illustrator, photoshop and acrobat don't. Maybe this is fixed with cs6 but I haven't used it yet.

TTLKurtis

joelconner wrote:

Are you sure you're not making the images larger than they're supposed to be in InDesign? If you don't up-res them first, that will happen, but only if the image isn't sufficient resolution to begin with.

Export to JPG works fine for me in CS5.

joelconner

TTLKurtis wrote:
joelconner wrote:

Are you sure you're not making the images larger than they're supposed to be in InDesign? If you don't up-res them first, that will happen, but only if the image isn't sufficient resolution to begin with.

Nope...I checked it all sorts of ways. Sometimes it looked fine, and other times...not. I troubleshot it for a while before I gave up and just settled for the pdf route.

sboerup
Total Posts: 9771

I never had an issue with CS5 export to JPG. The only time I saw an issue was if I had a photo rotated in the design, then it might skew something but I never saw it myself.

RichardLavigne
Total Posts: 5353

Yup we use it....

TTLKurtis

sboerup wrote:
I never had an issue with CS5 export to JPG. The only time I saw an issue was if I had a photo rotated in the design, then it might skew something but I never saw it myself.

Yes this is one thing apparently that happens, but the solution is to simply fix your photos before they get to InDesign.

Ryan Britton
Total Posts: 1999

TTLKurtis wrote:
joelconner wrote:

I built a custom preflight check profile to warn of any images not at least 300 dpi for this very reason. InDesign's own upsizing is horrible, so I just run the small ones through Photoshop as needed.

DblDrgn
Total Posts: 319

for those that export a PDF from CS5, then convert that PDF through Photoshop into PSD files, have you found an easy way to then turn the PSD files into JPG files? (other then manually clicking and "saving as" for each page)