Nikon Service - Unbelievable!
/forum/topic/1165617/1

end

Dustin Gent
Total Posts: 4758

trenchmonkey wrote:
Cut a piece of paper to just smaller than the shape of the opening.
Place strip of gaffers tape over it and enjoy your D800e, F' da part!

lol, seriously though! Adds character to the camera

Looks like I switched brands at the wrong time, lol. I just ordered some hotshoe covers for my D700 on eBAY for $1.39 shipped.

RRRoger
Total Posts: 1263

RCicala wrote:
Andre Labonte wrote:
Does anyone know if Canon is any better? If this keeps up along with the lack of a D400, I may switch.

I couldn't say 'better' as in 'more accurate repairs'.

But better as far as turnaround time, absolutely. And they'll sell any part to anyone who calls and asks for it. quote<<<

Canon cameras division is the only one I know of that does obsolete it's products in 3-5 years.
After that they not only will not repair but won't sell you any parts either.

I wonder how long it will be before they start doing that with photo equipment too.

Andre Labonte
Total Posts: 13084

RRRoger wrote:
RCicala wrote:
Andre Labonte wrote:
Does anyone know if Canon is any better? If this keeps up along with the lack of a D400, I may switch.

I couldn't say 'better' as in 'more accurate repairs'.

But better as far as turnaround time, absolutely. And they'll sell any part to anyone who calls and asks for it. quote<<<

Canon cameras division is the only one I know of that does obsolete it's products in 3-5 years.
After that they not only will not repair but won't sell you any parts either.

I wonder how long it will be before they start doing that with photo equipment too.

Oh, well that puts a different light on things.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4479

RCicala wrote:
tjpenton wrote:

But yea, that sucks. I don't know how long this new policy will last

Until sales drop. If sales don't drop, then they've made a great business decision. If sales do drop, then they'll probably reverse it.

I have changed away from Nikon due to their stupid-beyond-words repair/parts policy. They can play this game if they want, I'm out.

Keith B.
Total Posts: 601

RRRoger wrote:
I used to get little rubber covers from El Segundo.
I also got a little shoe cover from them this year for my V1
When did their parts department close?

They didn't close, Nikon just decided to stop selling parts--even user replaceable parts.

Mr.Lindy
Total Posts: 547

Here's a link to Nikon Dslr owner replaceable parts:

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/cat/DSLR_Parts/categoryID.59997300

Andre Labonte
Total Posts: 13084

Mr.Lindy wrote:
Here's a link to Nikon Dslr owner replaceable parts:

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/cat/DSLR_Parts/categoryID.59997300

Yea, great, the 70-200 is not even listed

But, they did ask me to fill out a survey at the end of my shoping experience ... I don't think they will like what I had to say ...

bblanco
Total Posts: 298

Thank you for posting this. I'm going to call my NPS rep later today and if this is in fact the case then I'm going to raise hell. I don't even need that part, but it's the point.

Little garbage like this may send me into the arms of Canon. as I've already been eyeballing that 5D MKIII.

ckcarr
Total Posts: 5700

That Nikon parts website is pathetic. A total half hearted attempt to appease the complainers I'm guessing. They should do it right or not at all. It would have been a no brainer these days to download a starting inventory by part number, description, availability, cost, etc. Not a small incomplete smattering of stuff.

If Nikon wants to monopolize parts and service then it seems that they also need to open more service centers. It wasn't that long ago when people were complementary of Nikon, the speed and cost of service. Or at least it wasn't as bad as it sounds now. It should be getting better, not worse. Two centers is probably not enough anymore, especially combined with cutting out the independents.

Seems they have this new "business model" but can't implement it successfully. After the tsunami it seems they have never fully recovered, yet want to pretend they can efficiently run every little bit of the business.

Bragging about 75,000,000 lenses sold means there is that much more work out there for everyone. It's simple trickle down economics. A high tide should raise all boats. But they want to control it all and aren't competent enough to. Just let the overflow go to the independents. They should be grateful for the help, they can't handle the workload.

end