Ah Chihuahua (12)
/forum/topic/1165351/2

1       2      
       end

blueimage
Total Posts: 830

Desert Drake wrote:
Fantastic series, Jim. Were most of these taken on the Armendaris Ranch? If I remember correctly this area is still in the northern zone of the Chihuahuan grasslands.

Hey DD, thanks for the comment. Yes, these are from the Armendaris...which is the CG's Northern end...and it represents the largest intact habitat remaining. I see your close, I'll show you around sometime if your interested. More about what I do there can be seen here

Charlie Shugart
Total Posts: 28515

A terrific set, Jim.
And seeing a close-up shot of a hawk going after bats- with talons extended- well, that's a first for me (including tv nature shows) and it's a thrilling image.
Charlie

hayath
Total Posts: 932

Fantastic varied images to showcase the diversity. Very cool set, but the hawk hunting bats has to top it for me

Methodical
Total Posts: 807

Hey Jim, nice variety. I really like the Hawk and bats shot. Where is this placed located?

blueimage

Charlie Shugart wrote:
A terrific set, Jim.
And seeing a close-up shot of a hawk going after bats- with talons extended- well, that's a first for me (including tv nature shows) and it's a thrilling image.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, shooting the bat cave is certainly a thrill, but I've done it so much the last couple years it's driving me, well, batty.

Jim

blueimage

hayath wrote:
Fantastic varied images to showcase the diversity. Very cool set, but the hawk hunting bats has to top it for me

Thanks hayath!

Jim

blueimage

Methodical wrote:
Hey Jim, nice variety. I really like the Hawk and bats shot. Where is this placed located?

Thanks Methodical, the bat cave is South Central New Mexico, right in the middle of 600 sq. miles of private land. The feeding frenzy takes place every evening from June to Sept and I lead photo tours there. Being private, it's just me and my guests - a pretty cool experience I think. It can be some crazy action with 5 million or so bats pouring out and being attacked by, at times, 50+ Swainson's and a few Peregrine Falcons.

Jim

Howard Kearley
Total Posts: 8188

Super series of shots
Love em!

Howard

B Benson
Total Posts: 9993

Hey Jiim, nice to see a post from you. I have been two busy to post recently. My brother MIke and I are going to Bosque again December 4-9. Very nice images here, the bats and hawk are really cool. Bruce

Lance B
Total Posts: 1037

A magnificent and varied series of photos!

thw2
Total Posts: 2897

Blows me away. The collection of photos as a whole is just absolutely FANTASTIC

jfwoodman
Total Posts: 4683

Great variety here, Jim. Very enjoyable set showing off all the area has to offer. Nice work on the images. I'm most partial to the earless lizard and the last shot.

Jim

Muevans
Total Posts: 1

Spectacular pictures; however, you may want double-check the ID of the "Say's Phoebe"-- it may be a juv. Western Kingbird, or another kingbird species.

Muevans,
San Diego, Ca

blueimage

Howard Kearley wrote:
Super series of shots
Love em!

Howard

Thanks for the kind comment Howard,

Jim

blueimage

B Benson wrote:
Hey Jiim, nice to see a post from you. I have been two busy to post recently. My brother MIke and I are going to Bosque again December 4-9. Very nice images here, the bats and hawk are really cool. Bruce

Bruce, howdydoo, and thanks for the comment. I figured you were off somewhere exotic - shooting something I'd be envious of Sorry I failed to get you down to NM this past season.....next year for sure! Also sorry I'll miss you at Bosque this Dec as I'm off to Africa again. My best to the Benson bros!

Jim

blueimage

Lance B wrote:
A magnificent and varied series of photos!

Hey Lance, I appreciate the comment from down under

Jim

blueimage

thw2 wrote:
Blows me away. The collection of photos as a whole is just absolutely FANTASTIC

thw2, your too kind - thank you.

Jim

blueimage

Muevans wrote:
Spectacular pictures; however, you may want double-check the ID of the "Say's Phoebe"-- it may be a juv. Western Kingbird, or another kingbird species.

Muevans,
San Diego, Ca

Muevans, thanks for the comment.....wouldn't be the first time I'm mistaken on an ID? It was nesting just under a Swainson's nest - like a foot below the hawks in a Mesquite. Here's another (lousy) shot of it with nesting grass - and a shot of it's up-stairs neighbors. I fixed the spelling...thanks

Jim

1       2      
       end