1DMKII or 7D
/forum/topic/1165205/1

end

Liquidstone
Total Posts: 1479

I've used both the 1D2 and 7D a lot for birding, and I'd prefer the 7D hands down. About the only area where the 1D2 is better is weather sealing. Even AF at f/8 isn't an advantage because the 7D bare + any lens has longer reach than the 1D2 + 1.4x TC + the same lens.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19923

Liquidstone wrote:
I've used both the 1D2 and 7D a lot for birding, and I'd prefer the 7D hands down. About the only area where the 1D2 is better is weather sealing. Even AF at f/8 isn't an advantage because the 7D bare + any lens has longer reach than the 1D2 + 1.4x TC + the same lens.

7D has nearly 4x the pixel density of 1D II, and has 1.89x the reach when FL limited. You basically need a 2x TC on the 1D II to get the same pixels per duck; that's ahuge advantage for the 7D when birding as you and I both know..

e.aland
Total Posts: 186

morenoar wrote:
I am looking for possible switch of my gear. I LOVE my 1DMKII for everything but HIgh ISO pictures. Wondering if trading for 7D would be wise? What are your suggestions?

the 1D3 is the only camera I always kept. shot it aside the 50D (which is somehow near the 7D), 5D2, 1D4 and have to say, I love it every day, for every shooting. IQ of the 1D3 is phantastic. if you already love your 1D2, the 1D3 will make you happy.

Pixel Perfect

e.aland wrote:
IQ of the 1D3 is phantastic. if you already love your 1D2, the 1D3 will make you happy.

I agree, 1D III is just better in just about every area than 1D II, which is still a great camera.

aznature
Total Posts: 174

***********7D END OF STORY***********

Recently i finalized my divorce and guess what....?
The Judge ordered me to give my 7D to my ex.
So the bottom line: I divorced my 7D as well.
Yes the 7D has been so Great for me (so was she...) but this is the time to move on.

I am very pleased now with Nikon D200 which i found on Ebay for $300,
But i consider it as dating only....
I am not going to post the superb images captured with my new date....
In no way i wish to shock Happy 7D shooters!!!!!

BobMarkey
Total Posts: 86

Because there are many 1DMKII users here, I have to ask whether your LCD shows images much lighter tan they actually appear on your computer or in print? Mine (1DMKIIn) sure does!

I cannot rely on a visual of the image to judge exposure. I must check the histogram and even then, I am not completely sure. I love the body, but I find myself shooting to get a visual (LCD) image that looks two stops or so over exposed in order to get a properly exposed image for computer or printing.

BrianO
Total Posts: 8552

I'm not a 1D (of any flavor) user, but I never rely on the LCD image for white balance or exposure (other than blown highlights). I'll use it to check framing and focus, and to look for motion blur, but for exposure I use the meter and the histogram, and for color I use a gray card or other standard reference in the shot and balance in post. (Or I'll shoot a frame-filling shot of a gray or white card, and set a CWB if I'm needing a nearly-spot-on JPEG straight out of camera.)

ggOk
Total Posts: 687

I have both 7D and 1D2. I rarely use these bodies but each has their own pros and cons.
just after typhoon hit in Japan, I grabbed my 1d2 attached with 200 1.8L lens, I was all over the town taking pix. with pouring salt rain side ways, there was no way I was going to risk 7D non-weather sealed body with such condition.

now the weather is beautiful... 1d2 is back on the shelf and 7d is being used by wife.
If I had to choose between only these two bodies, I'd go with 1d2... I got hooked to 1d bodies since the first time I had my hands on 1d classic.

/r
Andy

Pixel Perfect

BobMarkey wrote:
Because there are many 1DMKII users here, I have to ask whether your LCD shows images much lighter tan they actually appear on your computer or in print? Mine (1DMKIIn) sure does!

I cannot rely on a visual of the image to judge exposure. I must check the histogram and even then, I am not completely sure. I love the body, but I find myself shooting to get a visual (LCD) image that looks two stops or so over exposed in order to get a properly exposed image for computer or printing.

Can't say I recall that on my 1D II. Do you have LCD brightness turned up to max?

s23chang
Total Posts: 928

If you really want a better camera than 7D... then 1Dmk4 might worth the wait on your funds.
I have owned 1DII 1DIII and now 1DIV. Every upgrade is big improvement in image quality. From pure resolution and high ISO noise point of view, the 7D will edge the older 1DIII. Looking through my old pictures, the 1DIII was great camera to own ( aside from AF accuracy and LCD display not in sync with actual output )

end