D600 vs D800 first impressions
/forum/topic/1165190/1

1      
2
       3       end

Dustin Gent
Registered: Apr 04, 2005
Total Posts: 4496
Country: United States

I can understand getting the two cameras and keeping which one is BEST for the job (overall). I have gotten lucky in that i have a lot of patience, so I research the living F out of bodies before I buy them. I got lucky with the 1Ds, the F5 and now the D700.

There is a local camera shop that would let me take the D600 to test out - and wouldn't charge me a restocking fee if I put less than 200 clicks on it. If I put more than 200 clicks, it is a restocking fee of like 10% or something. After thinking about it, and knowing what conditions I shoot in, I opted against it

Buying used has many advantages - I never, EVER buy new...

Thanks for the review and thoughts! It was close between the D700 and D600 when I was in the market for a camera.



galenapass
Registered: Feb 09, 2006
Total Posts: 3332
Country: United States

NickHenderson wrote:
lukeb wrote:
NickHenderson wrote:
Happy with my D600.

Buying 2 cameras and returning the one you like less, that's a pretty dumb way to do things.


I think your comment is pretty crass.


Yeah, perhaps. But you're taking advantage of the retailer and driving prices up for the rest of us who do their research beforehand, or borrow a camera from a friend, or rent one etc.


+1 I have to agree with this statement. Although your first comment was less than enlightening.



davewolfs
Registered: Jun 15, 2006
Total Posts: 1131
Country: United States

MichaelUribe wrote:
I've had my D800 a couple of dys now and just completed a product shoot.
I'm upgrading from my d700.
The only real eye catcher feature for me was the video capability (my d3s is so lame in the video dept.) and the other thing is it's rich Mp Depth.

I was a little disappointed in the speed of the d800 fps but it's also traveling at the speed of 36mps vs what the d700 which travels at 12mps at 5fps.

The true test would be to push the d700 engine to shoot at 36fps and see if it can do it like the d800.
The other way would be to downshift the d800 to shoot at 12mps (which you can by adjusting the image size) and then flooring the d800 and seeing what it can do.

My product shoot was shot in a downshift pixel depth not sure what it was - the first level down.

Just fine for my shoot quality needs.

One problem that has nothing to do with the d800 is that I usually put on a camera armor skin if I take it for a walk outside for any reason. They have not made it yet so.

Other than that the grip of the d600 is that of a DX camera so that makes it invisible to my hand.

I like the more practical battery grip attachment just screwing on not needing to take off the battery cover.

One thing I hate about the D3 and up body is that it doesnt fit inside any top loaders I found without having to cram it in their. Try putting on a 70-200 and your f$&@ed.

I actually would consider keeping my d700 if it's video quality was equal to the d800. I could have used it for cam2 angles and broll footage. So off to eBay it goes.

Since the d4 has similar video capability that may be a future upgrade for me.

But something tells me the d4x will be coming around the corner with comparable mp depth, but the jury is still out generally about the d4 regarding its overall lure from existing prior models d3s which have decent DR and wonderfully 3200 iso capability.


Wasn't even aware that D700 could shoot video.



vovkinson
Registered: Oct 13, 2005
Total Posts: 781
Country: United States

I'm currently Leica M9 shooter (switched from D700,D3S).
Got the chance to try D800, D800E and D600. To me D600 has the worst IQ based on comparison with D700, D800, D800E. The best is D800E.
D600 feels cheap, but not that cheap as D5100 or other consumer cameras.
Image Quality of D600 is disappointing to my taste. The images are flat and lifeless. Of course you can tweak something in PS or LR , but after looking at d600 files I wouldn't even be in mood to do any editing.



molson
Registered: Oct 30, 2002
Total Posts: 10144
Country: Canada

Nikon_14 wrote:
NickHenderson wrote:
lukeb wrote:
NickHenderson wrote:
Happy with my D600.

Buying 2 cameras and returning the one you like less, that's a pretty dumb way to do things.


I think your comment is pretty crass.


Yeah, perhaps. But you're taking advantage of the retailer and driving prices up for the rest of us who do their research beforehand, or borrow a camera from a friend, or rent one etc.


+1. It's called E-T-H-I-C-S, i.e., doing the right thing even if you can get away with doing the wrong thing.


+1 more.

I'd like to know where the OP bought the D600 he is returning, so that I can avoid shopping there...



Red G8R
Registered: Jul 16, 2012
Total Posts: 140
Country: Canada

In the end you have to choose what suits you best and it sounds like the D800.

I have both the D4 and D600 but I use them for different purposes and yes the D4 focuses faster but I can still manage with the D600 if that was all I had. Even compared to my D3, the D4 AF is faster but I managed very well for years with the D3. It's only when you have two things side by side to compare when differences are magnified. Which ever you get, you will adjust to it.



NikonGuyIsHere
Registered: Oct 20, 2010
Total Posts: 229
Country: United States


Wasn't even aware that D700 could shoot video.


It does at 5 fps



mshi
Registered: Dec 13, 2010
Total Posts: 3012
Country: United States

Nikon has shown us in the past all NikonPro bodies, such as D4/D800 and D3/D3s/D700, have their AF module optimized for 2.8 f-stop value, while consumer bodies f/4 to f/5.6. Nikon doesn't charge you a grand less for nothing.



PeaktoPeek
Registered: Dec 20, 2005
Total Posts: 1869
Country: United States

Crap -- I sold my 5D and all of my Canon gear specifically for the D600 and now I find out that the AF sucks. I may as well find a used 5D II....
Paul



Dustin Gent
Registered: Apr 04, 2005
Total Posts: 4496
Country: United States

The D700 supposedly will do video with a "hacked" firmware from what I read. I don't care for video obviously



Tim Ashton
Registered: Dec 27, 2006
Total Posts: 3043
Country: Australia

^^
Paul,
All things are relative
I have a D7k and have no probs with its auto focus
Check in on the thread by Andreas E < ;http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1152190>; and you will get a very objective assessment or go to < ;http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/09/24/nikon-d600/>; for another hands on report

Tim



PeaktoPeek
Registered: Dec 20, 2005
Total Posts: 1869
Country: United States

Thanks, Tim -- it was partially tongue in cheek. I've been shooting with basically one AF point for 5 years, so anything is an upgrade for me. I guess Nikon shooters have been pretty lucky to have cameras with better AF. I'm sure if I can shoot hockey with a 5D I can manage ok with the D600.
Paul

Tim Ashton wrote:
^^
Paul,
All things are relative
I have a D7k and have no probs with its auto focus
Check in on the thread by Andreas E < ;http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1152190>; and you will get a very objective assessment or go to < ;http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/09/24/nikon-d600/>; for another hands on report

Tim



Nick Warde
Registered: Sep 08, 2006
Total Posts: 58
Country: United Kingdom

Buying 2 and returning the one you like least - sounds smart to me.

The retailer and corporation is out to make profit, you as a consumer are out to get the best camera for your needs within the rules allowed and we all know cameras are complex bits of kit and take a fair chunk out of most peoples pay packet.

Here in the UK you cannot do that unless the product is faulty or not fit for purpose. Consequently, peoples homes are full of products that did not live up to the hype.

Sounds to me like you have a good returns system to allow you to make an informed choice (versus what the manufacturers marketing hype tells you) and your marketplace prices are lower than we have here. What is unethical about that?



mancheta
Registered: May 19, 2011
Total Posts: 91
Country: United States

As I stated in my original post, I never intended on buying the D600 just to return it. I purchased it, and began to question it's performance. I thought it must have just been in my head, as I have never had AF issues like this with any other bodies.

I live on an island in the middle of the pacific. We have no camera stores, we have no rental shops. Anything purchased must be shipped in, generally at an increased fee.

I recently went to the mainland, and found a D800 at the same retailer I ordered the D600 from online. I elected to try it out, to see if it was just in my head.

Once I began to shoot the D800, it became clear the D600 was not going to work for me.

Retailer sells a D800, takes back a D600. They generally return to manufacturer, but if it is resold from them, it will be labeled as used. Camera is in great condition.

Bottom line, this was not an "extended free trial" on my part.

I hope my analysis of the differences will aid others in their decision. I also have enjoyed my fellow FMers input on their experiences.



tjpenton
Registered: Jan 04, 2011
Total Posts: 271
Country: Canada

mancheta wrote:
As I stated in my original post, I never intended on buying the D600 just to return it. I purchased it, and began to question it's performance. I thought it must have just been in my head, as I have never had AF issues like this with any other bodies.

I live on an island in the middle of the pacific. We have no camera stores, we have no rental shops. Anything purchased must be shipped in, generally at an increased fee.

I recently went to the mainland, and found a D800 at the same retailer I ordered the D600 from online. I elected to try it out, to see if it was just in my head.

Once I began to shoot the D800, it became clear the D600 was not going to work for me.

Retailer sells a D800, takes back a D600. They generally return to manufacturer, but if it is resold from them, it will be labeled as used. Camera is in great condition.

Bottom line, this was not an "extended free trial" on my part.

I hope my analysis of the differences will aid others in their decision. I also have enjoyed my fellow FMers input on their experiences.


How will they return to manufacturer? When a customer brings me back a camera I can hardly turn around and ship it back to nikon (on my dime) and expect a credit just because the customer didn't like the camera/do their research....

Fact is that the camera is now used and unless there is a specific problem with the camera, there will be no credit from Nikon to the reseller. That store *should* now sell the camera as used , taking a loss which will probably come close to negating the profit of selling you the D800.

Congrats for your free trial, but I don't see how this business model makes sense for the store you purchased from.



canondoc
Registered: Mar 04, 2007
Total Posts: 433
Country: United States

relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqpqOoeBQM&feature=g-user-u

Comparison between AF on D600 / D800 / 5DmkIII

Not that this guys opinion is the end all be all, but it's pretty obvious that the D600 is struggling a lot compared to the other too. Not an opinion.



Scott Grant
Registered: Aug 08, 2006
Total Posts: 638
Country: Canada

vovkinson wrote:
I'm currently Leica M9 shooter (switched from D700,D3S).
Got the chance to try D800, D800E and D600. To me D600 has the worst IQ based on comparison with D700, D800, D800E. The best is D800E.
D600 feels cheap, but not that cheap as D5100 or other consumer cameras.
Image Quality of D600 is disappointing to my taste. The images are flat and lifeless. Of course you can tweak something in PS or LR , but after looking at d600 files I wouldn't even be in mood to do any editing.


I shot about 2,000 photos on a borrowed d600 a few weeks back. After shooting 200,000 photos on d700's I would surely disagree about your thoughts on IQ as compared to the d700. The d600 is leaps ahead.



DontShoot
Registered: Jun 15, 2009
Total Posts: 1706
Country: United States

I shot the D700 for almost 4 years, and now I have the D600. I can say with absolute certainty that the D600's AF has improved over the D700 in terms of acquisition speed and low light sensitivity. The same lenses that I used with the D700 feels "snappier" with the D600, whereas on the D700 they would sometimes hunt for focus. As far as accuracy, I feel that they are about the same, albeit the D600 requires a more precise technique. One thing I noticed with the D600 is that it is less forgiving than the D700 - meaning I have to use significantly faster S/S to get a crisp shot. As for accuracy in low light focusing, I haven't seen any issues with the D600 AF, all my shots with it are tack sharp.

When I sold my D700, I had the chance to pick between the D800 and D600, and I ultimately picked the D600. Weight was a huge factor for me, and so does the U1/U2 setting and the fact that it's not 36MP. I am still very happy with that choice and I enjoy the D600 a lot.



2of9
Registered: Nov 09, 2010
Total Posts: 194
Country: United States

Good to know because we're beginning to see some used D800's dip into the mid-high $2k range already. I'm sure there is a reason why the D800 is better than the D600



Jan Brittenson
Registered: Mar 13, 2002
Total Posts: 2190
Country: United States

tjpenton wrote:
How will they return to manufacturer? When a customer brings me back a camera I can hardly turn around and ship it back to nikon (on my dime) and expect a credit just because the customer didn't like the camera/do their research....

It's called reverse logistics, and yes, Nikon USA almost certainly will take it back for credit. They'll then refurbish the return and resell it through their retail network.



1      
2
       3       end