Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip
/forum/topic/1165018/2

1       2      
       4       end

riderfan
Total Posts: 38

5D MkIII + 24-70. Thats it.

Its crowded and you will occasionally be in long line ups. I really start to feel every extra ounce after a couple of hours walking around. For me, the handful of pictures I'd miss not having longer and wider lenses along aren't worth lugging the extra gear around. Also keeping it simply will allow you to focus (pun intended) more on your family and enjoying the park.

Have fun!

nburwell
Total Posts: 3399

riderfan wrote:
5D MkIII + 24-70. Thats it.

This would be my suggestion. Personally, I would want to enjoy the trip more than lugging my gear along for the journey. The last time I went to Disney with friends (about 3 years ago), I just brought my iPhone and got some decent shots. I know having kids is certainly different. But I think it would be overkill to bring both your 5DIII and 1DX bodies with you.

Most importantly enjoy the time with your family!

-Nick

vchowdhary
Total Posts: 1205

Last time I went, I took a nex 5 (first gen) and rokinon 85, 18-55.
Found I used the 18-55 a lot more.
Even that I thought was a bit much and if I had to do it again, I'd get something like an rx100 and just have fun.

3catsinky
Total Posts: 1390

i just did this trip in July and man am i GLAD I didnt take a full compliment of gear, you cant go on any of the water rides with all that crap! I took a new Olympus TG-1 water proof camera, it was perfect. took it in the pools, took it on the rides, knowing it wouldnt get destroyed. you will NOT enjoy the trip if you take all that gear, trust all of us!

Kmccarthy
Total Posts: 85

I recently did the same trip (Disney and Seaworld). I took my 5DIII, 24-105L and 70-300L in a Crumpler "5 Million Dollar Home" bag.

I took both lenses to Seaworld, but only took the 24-105L to Disney (left the other lens in the hotel). This combination worked our very well. The bag was relatively light and unobtrusive and provided quick access to the camera. Unfortunately, I dont think it would fit your 70-200 f2.8 though...

I highly recommned against taking 2 bodies and several lenses. As others have said, it will ruin your family vacation.

khurram1
Total Posts: 3931

I appreciate the feedback regarding equipment, as well as on parks and transportation.

I'm not overly concerned about weight - I'm pretty used to carrying a pack and given that most rides we are going to be going be rides that a 3 year old and 4 1/2 year old going on, I doubt I'll have to leave my pack, or worry about the pack getting wet. Sounds like the best option is to take a single body with the 24-70L and possibly a fast lens (my only option is the 85L) for those low light rides/places where flash isn't allowed. I'll take the 70-200L+ 2x converter for Magic Kingdom.

Also sounds like the best option for when we go to Magic Kingdom it to go in the morning, come back, take a break and then go out for fireworks, in which case I can take a tripod. If we do get delayed, it sounds like there are lockers available where i could store my tripod. Can someone confirm the lockers are large enough for a tripod

I appreciate the advice about the transportation, sounds like since our hotel is in downtown disney, we can take ground transportation to the parks from there. I really appreciate the advice about the boat transportation to the other disney resorts - never really considered that and I think that is something the kids will enjoy.

I hadn't really planned on going to Epcot (was only planning on going to Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom Park. But given how much the kids like Nemo, sounds like it would be worthwhile to make the trip there as well. However, when I looked on the Disney website and it looked like the Nemo attraction is the only one that would be of interest to kids aged 3-4. is that assumption reasonable or is there something I'm missing

BrianO
Total Posts: 8551

khurram1 wrote: I hadn't really planned on going to Epcot (was only planning on going to Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom Park. But given how much the kids like Nemo, sounds like it would be worthwhile to make the trip there as well. However, when I looked on the Disney website and it looked like the Nemo attraction is the only one that would be of interest to kids aged 3-4. is that assumption reasonable or is there something I'm missing

"The Land" at Epcot has a movie called The Circle of Life, an environmental educational film that stars Pumbaa and Timon from The Lion King. Your kids may not understand everything presented, but it should keep them interested enough that they won't mind you taking them to see it. You and your wife might enjoy it; it has scenes filmed in more than 30 countries.

I don't know if they would be allowed to ride on "Soarin'," which is one of my favorite rides at both Epcot and Disney Land (California Adventure); you have to be at least 40" tall (102cm). It's a beautiful "flight" over California, with all the sights, sounds, and -- yes -- scents that one would get if flying a hang glider over vinyards, ocean beaches, forests, and deserts. You've absolutely gotta try it to believe it. If the kids can't ride, it's one that might be worth you and the wife taking turns watching the kids while the other rides. You'd then be able to share the experience in place if not in time. Or, put that on the agenda for a furture return trip when the kids are older.

Here's a Web page that you find find helpful:

http://allears.net/tp/ep/issue330.htm

acoll123
Total Posts: 306

Soarin' is a great ride - on of the best at Disney. Make sure you see the Lion King show - I think it was in Animal Kingdom . . You won't use the 85, too long. 24-70 with the high ISO of the 5DIII will be enough most of the time.

acoll123
Total Posts: 306

Get the Disney app that tells real-time wait times for the attractions - will help you plan throughout the day. It also maps out bathrooms (critical with kids) and food options.

riderfan
Total Posts: 38

BrianO wrote:

I don't know if they would be allowed to ride on "Soarin'," which is one of my favorite rides at both Epcot and Disney Land (California Adventure); you have to be at least 40" tall (102cm). It's a beautiful "flight" over California, with all the sights, sounds, and -- yes -- scents that one would get if flying a hang glider over vinyards, ocean beaches, forests, and deserts. You've absolutely gotta try it to believe it. If the kids can't ride, it's one that might be worth you and the wife taking turns watching the kids while the other rides. You'd then be able to share the experience in place if not in time. Or, put that on the agenda for a furture return trip when the kids are older.

+1 for Soarin' Its the only ride we did 3 times back in 2002 when we went to Disneyland. I agree that its worth going one at a time as adults if necessary. The "big kids" need to have a little fun too!

If you plan on doing any of the wet rides, bring your own disposable ponchos from Walmart or similar for about $2/each - way cheaper than buying the stuff they offer in the park. When you are sure you are done with them just give them away to a family that looks like they could use them (much better than trying to pack away all wet for the trip home). Also a garbage bag comes in handy to help protect your camera bag on the wet rides. If you were just taking a point & shoot then a large zip lock freezer bag works very well.

jeraldcook
Total Posts: 534

khurram1 wrote:
Btw, have you printed any of the high ISO shots (i.e. ISO 12800) - at least for web use, your high ISO shots look pretty damn good. I haven't really ever printed any high ISO shots and generally stay below ISO 3200.

Just picked up my 4x6 and 8x10 prints. I printed a couple of shots at ISO 6400, 12,800, and 25,600.

6400: Both 4x6 and 8x10 shots are incredible.
12,800: The 4x6 are incredible. The 8x10 shots came out very good. The midtones are very clean and there is some visible noise in the shadows but well within my personal tolerance.
25,600: The 4x6 are very usable. At a normal viewing distance the noise barely perceptible. The 8x10s do have some noise/grain but they are definitely usable.

They were edited in LR4.2 with 15NR on the 6400 shots, 20NR on the 12,800 shots, and 25NR on the 25,600 shots, slight sharpening as needed.

jeraldcook
Total Posts: 534

acoll123 wrote:
You won't use the 85, too long.

I'd agree with this. The first day I put it on my camera one time, took 4 shots and decided it was too tight. Because of the crowds it can be hard to step back enough for that focal length to be useful. I still carried it every day because I love that lens and hoped to use it more but I it never left my bag.

khurram1 wrote:
I'm not overly concerned about weight - I'm pretty used to carrying a pack and given that most rides we are going to be going be rides that a 3 year old and 4 1/2 year old going on, I doubt I'll have to leave my pack, or worry about the pack getting wet. Sounds like the best option is to take a single body with the 24-70L and possibly a fast lens (my only option is the 85L) for those low light rides/places where flash isn't allowed. I'll take the 70-200L+ 2x converter for Magic Kingdom.

I have a Lowepro Pro Messenger 200AW and it fit my 5D3 with grip, 24-105, 35L, 85L, 70-200L, 2xTC, and 580EXII without being too cumbersome. It's small enough that it even fit at my feet on Big Thunder Mountain and in the bag pouch on rides like Dinosaur. With the waterproof cover I even took it on every water ride as well without issue. As an added plus it fits the 70-200 with body attached or the 70-200 w/ TC not attached to the body. You can put the 70-200 w/ TC attached to the body in but the flap will not close all the way.

khurram1 wrote:If we do get delayed, it sounds like there are lockers available where i could store my tripod. Can someone confirm the lockers are large enough for a tripod

Most of the lockers are too small and the larger lockers fill up fast. I reluctantly left my $300 Giottos tripod in my stroller 20x a day without a problem. There were tons of strollers with bags left in them while people went on rides so I figure my chances were pretty good.

khurram1 wrote:I hadn't really planned on going to Epcot (was only planning on going to Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom Park. But given how much the kids like Nemo, sounds like it would be worthwhile to make the trip there as well. However, when I looked on the Disney website and it looked like the Nemo attraction is the only one that would be of interest to kids aged 3-4. is that assumption reasonable or is there something I'm missing

In the same building with Nemo is a live show with Crush, the turtle from Nemo. It's worth a see.

The Land pavilion (where Soarin' is) has a Lion King show (we didn't have time to see it though).

Over at Imagination is a kids ride with Figment and a fun musical play area after the ride is over.

Right next to Figment is Captain EO, the 3-D movie with Michael Jackson.

Spaceship Earth doesn't have a height requirement and your kids would probably enjoy it.

Also, Epcot has a the Epcot Character Spot where kids can meet Mickey and 3 other characters but waiting in one line. I think we waited for maybe 8 minutes.

Your kids are too small for Mission Space but there is a fun play area for kids of all sizes at the exit of the ride. You do not need to go on the ride to play in it.

Innoventions East and West are basically large educational play areas with different exhibits for kids. There is a "ride" (calling it a ride is a bit of an overstatement) with a large articulating arm that your older kid might be tall enough to ride.

There is next to nothing for kids ages 3-4 in the World Showcase. It would be hard to fill up an entire day there but you could easily fill 3-5 hours.

BrianO
Total Posts: 8551

jeraldcook wrote: In the same building with Nemo is a live show with Crush, the turtle from Nemo. It's worth a see.

Yep; Turtle Talk With Crush: amazing! Kids get to talk to Crush, and he talks back to them. Unreal!

The Land pavilion (where Soarin' is) has a Lion King show (we didn't have time to see it though).

That's the Circle of Life movie with Pumbaa and Timon, not to be confused with the live Lion King musical extravaganza at Animal Kingdon. (Which is a must see when over there.)

khurram1

acoll123 wrote:
Get the Disney app that tells real-time wait times for the attractions - will help you plan throughout the day. It also maps out bathrooms (critical with kids) and food options.

thanks for the advice - didn't realize there was an app - I guess there is an app for everything

khurram1

BrianO wrote:
khurram1 wrote: I hadn't really planned on going to Epcot (was only planning on going to Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom Park. But given how much the kids like Nemo, sounds like it would be worthwhile to make the trip there as well. However, when I looked on the Disney website and it looked like the Nemo attraction is the only one that would be of interest to kids aged 3-4. is that assumption reasonable or is there something I'm missing

"The Land" at Epcot has a movie called The Circle of Life, an environmental educational film that stars Pumbaa and Timon from The Lion King. Your kids may not understand everything presented, but it should keep them interested enough that they won't mind you taking them to see it. You and your wife might enjoy it; it has scenes filmed in more than 30 countries.

Here's a Web page that you find find helpful:

http://allears.net/tp/ep/issue330.htm

Thanks for the advice and the link!

khurram1

jeraldcook wrote:
khurram1 wrote:
Btw, have you printed any of the high ISO shots (i.e. ISO 12800) - at least for web use, your high ISO shots look pretty damn good. I haven't really ever printed any high ISO shots and generally stay below ISO 3200.

Just picked up my 4x6 and 8x10 prints. I printed a couple of shots at ISO 6400, 12,800, and 25,600.

6400: Both 4x6 and 8x10 shots are incredible.
12,800: The 4x6 are incredible. The 8x10 shots came out very good. The midtones are very clean and there is some visible noise in the shadows but well within my personal tolerance.
25,600: The 4x6 are very usable. At a normal viewing distance the noise barely perceptible. The 8x10s do have some noise/grain but they are definitely usable.

They were edited in LR4.2 with 15NR on the 6400 shots, 20NR on the 12,800 shots, and 25NR on the 25,600 shots, slight sharpening as needed.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the printability of the high ISO shots. Will definately have to try start shooting at higher ISO's. I'm still processing in DPP, so will see if results with the DPP noise reduction are as good.

khurram1

jeraldcook wrote:
acoll123 wrote:
You won't use the 85, too long.

I'd agree with this. The first day I put it on my camera one time, took 4 shots and decided it was too tight. Because of the crowds it can be hard to step back enough for that focal length to be useful. I still carried it every day because I love that lens and hoped to use it more but I it never left my bag.

khurram1 wrote:

I have a Lowepro Pro Messenger 200AW and it fit my 5D3 with grip, 24-105, 35L, 85L, 70-200L, 2xTC, and 580EXII without being too cumbersome. It's small enough that it even fit at my feet on Big Thunder Mountain and in the bag pouch on rides like Dinosaur. With the waterproof cover I even took it on every water ride as well without issue. As an added plus it fits the 70-200 with body attached or the 70-200 w/ TC not attached to the body. You can put the 70-200 w/ TC attached to the body in but the flap will not close all the way.

khurram1 wrote:If we do get delayed, it sounds like there are lockers available where i could store my tripod. Can someone confirm the lockers are large enough for a tripod

Most of the lockers are too small and the larger lockers fill up fast. I reluctantly left my $300 Giottos tripod in my stroller 20x a day without a problem. There were tons of strollers with bags left in them while people went on rides so I figure my chances were pretty good.

khurram1 wrote:I hadn't really planned on going to Epcot (was only planning on going to Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom Park. But given how much the kids like Nemo, sounds like it would be worthwhile to make the trip there as well. However, when I looked on the Disney website and it looked like the Nemo attraction is the only one that would be of interest to kids aged 3-4. is that assumption reasonable or is there something I'm missing

In the same building with Nemo is a live show with Crush, the turtle from Nemo. It's worth a see.

Over at Imagination is a kids ride with Figment and a fun musical play area after the ride is over.

Right next to Figment is Captain EO, the 3-D movie with Michael Jackson.

Spaceship Earth doesn't have a height requirement and your kids would probably enjoy it.

Also, Epcot has a the Epcot Character Spot where kids can meet Mickey and 3 other characters but waiting in one line. I think we waited for maybe 8 minutes.

Your kids are too small for Mission Space but there is a fun play area for kids of all sizes at the exit of the ride. You do not need to go on the ride to play in it.

Innoventions East and West are basically large educational play areas with different exhibits for kids. There is a "ride" (calling it a ride is a bit of an overstatement) with a large articulating arm that your older kid might be tall enough to ride.

There is next to nothing for kids ages 3-4 in the World Showcase. It would be hard to fill up an entire day there but you could easily fill 3-5 hours.

Thanks for the very detailed replies!! Really appreciate it!! It helps getting advice from those who have actually gone there. Some of the links to the non-Disney sites that others have provided are also very helpful!!

khurram1

BrianO wrote:
jeraldcook wrote: In the same building with Nemo is a live show with Crush, the turtle from Nemo. It's worth a see.

Yep; Turtle Talk With Crush: amazing! Kids get to talk to Crush, and he talks back to them. Unreal!

That's the Circle of Life movie with Pumbaa and Timon, not to be confused with the live Lion King musical extravaganza at Animal Kingdon. (Which is a must see when over there.)

Thanks! I think the kids will enjoy all three of these! I thought 5 days were plenty, now i'm wondering if I should have alloted more time!

MLK-FM
Total Posts: 12

When visiting the Disney be there 9am when the park opens. This will give you about an hour to an hour and a half to photograph without the crowds. Also the light will be better than mid-day.

Checkout the Disney Photography Blog for many great Disney photo tips:
http://www.disneyphotographyblog.com/

NatDeroxL7
Total Posts: 112

Disney is DARK! I used a 35L for almost everything and still found myself wanting for speed at the 5Dmk2s extended ISOs. Next time I will be renting a 50L and 85LII and hope whatever camera I have at the time is clean at 25600.

1       2      
       4       end