New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!
/forum/topic/1163966/3

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

RogerC11
Total Posts: 2262

Dont know how to read those charts...is that better or worse than the canon versions?

Aaron D
Total Posts: 1004

RogerC11 wrote:
Dont know how to read those charts...is that better or worse than the canon versions?

Better

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19878

RogerC11 wrote:

I added a guide to reading the graphs

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9690

thw2 wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:
Just get the current Tammy 24-70 VC, it's already $300 cheaper than the 24-70 f/4 and f/2.8 is worth far more than a crippled macro mode headline.

The attractive part in both Canon offerings is reduced weight:
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC = 825 g, Canon 24-70 f/4 IS = 600 g
Sigma 35 f/1.4 ~ 600 g (guess based on current Nikon and Canon offerings), Canon 35 f/2 IS = 335 g

These weight savings cannot be easily dismissed.

As long as IQ is good, I'd rather have the smaller and lighter 35 2.0 IS. I've owned the EF 35 2.0 since the early 90s, wanted to upgrade but found the 35 1.4L to be a downgrade due to the greatly increased weight and size. The new 24 2.8 IS has already drifted below $700 ($657 at Amazon) so I expect the 35 2.0 IS will float down to a more reasonable price after a brief feeding frenzy.

Kisutch
Total Posts: 318

The Tammy macro is gonna have to drop in price to sway people from the canon 100L.

JohnBrose
Total Posts: 1779

There is an explanation on how to read the charts...time to learn something new for the day. I also like the looks of the new Sigma, but would have a hard time trusting the focus until I hear better reports.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19878

Kisutch wrote:
The Tammy macro is gonna have to drop in price to sway people from the canon 100L.

I'd never sell my 100L. Tamron needs to release a 180mm macro.

snooked123
Total Posts: 821

The issue is that the prices of the amateur lenses is reaching the bottom end of the L lenses. Many of the amateur lenses could benefit from an update such as 50mm 1.4, 35mm f2 (older one), 28mm 1.8 and probably 85mm 1.8, but the prices of the updates are so high that people like me need to wait even longer to get lenses that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Snopchenko
Total Posts: 2147

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yakim Peled wrote:
Interesting lenses but personally, I'm waiting for the Tamron 60mm f/2 SP Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

That's a Di II lens so only for crop even though it can be mounted on FF and APS-H cameras.

It works perfectly on APS-H cameras. I wanted to get one for my 1D Mark II N but the slow motor was what put me off, at least for now.

More interesting would be it's big brother: 180 f/2.8(3.5) Sp Di 1:1 macro VC USD. Sigma dropped the ball with theirs weighing in at a far too heavy 1.6kg. Tamron lenses are usually lighter. So I hope they are working on one of these.

Sigma's bulk comes from larger aperture - f/2.8 - and near flawless (per Lenstip.com and SLRGear.com) optical performance. Looks like it completely slays 180L in that regard.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

snooked123 wrote:
The issue is that the prices of the amateur lenses is reaching the bottom end of the L lenses. Many of the amateur lenses could benefit from an update such as 50mm 1.4, 35mm f2 (older one), 28mm 1.8 and probably 85mm 1.8, but the prices of the updates are so high that people like me need to wait even longer to get lenses that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I agree that they are too expensive. But remember that all those lenses are 20+ years old. Then you will not see a 10-20-30% increasy in the price if a new and much improved version is made. It will be a lot more

snooked123
Total Posts: 821

Nikon has recently updated their 28mm ($700 msrp), 50 1.4($450 msrp) and 85mm ($500 msrp) f1.8 lenses and they don't cost nearly as much as what Canon has started asking for their updated primes. I agree that IS is a big bonus but still 35mm f2 IS for $850 is saying, we need to milk the customer. I mean Canon is no Zeiss which I love BTW .

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3833

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:
I also like the new design. Classy.
Here is a bigger look...

CSStevens
Total Posts: 166

Definitely thinking about that Sigma 35 1.4, can't wait to see some reviews and results with it. And damn does it look good (if only my Sigma 300mm f2.8 looked as cool).

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

robsuh wrote:
Those new Sigmas (Art) are the nicest looking lenses - from any vendor.

I agree. I just hope that IQ and AF performance will match.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

It looks a little bit like the new Zeiss 55/1,4 that was announced a couple of months ago. Really nice look

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

If the IQ of that lens is even better than the 30/1.4, this lens should be a favourite.

onegreatcity
Total Posts: 1365

I've been watching used pricing on Canon's 35 f/1.4 for several months, saving my pennies to make a move but clearly I should wait a bit longer for hands-on feedback on the new Sigma. On a side note, I really appreciate the limited time between these two companies announcing their new products and releasing them to market. I have never understood the huge delay other companies (ahem) employ between announcing and releasing...

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11584

I really like the look of the sigma 35.

If it has a reliable focus system that isn't plagued by premature failure, I will buy one instead of the canon.

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11757

onegreatcity wrote:
. On a side note, I really appreciate the limited time between these two companies announcing their new products and releasing them to market. I have never understood the huge delay other companies (ahem) employ between announcing and releasing...

Well this and 2 other new lenses were announced back in September .
I grant you that a couple of months is quite good for one of the lenses but it looks like the 120-300 will be a few more months yet.
But you also have to think back not so long ago when sigma would 'announce' a new lens and it could quite easily not see a shop for ove a year . Yeah it does seem that Canon must have employed the same ethos now.

Big contrast over at Nikon who seem to have product in the shops almost a few days after its been announced

BenV
Total Posts: 8107

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
onegreatcity wrote:
. On a side note, I really appreciate the limited time between these two companies announcing their new products and releasing them to market. I have never understood the huge delay other companies (ahem) employ between announcing and releasing...

Well this and 2 other new lenses were announced back in September .
I grant you that a couple of months is quite good for one of the lenses but it looks like the 120-300 will be a few more months yet.
But you also have to think back not so long ago when sigma would 'announce' a new lens and it could quite easily not see a shop for ove a year . Yeah it does seem that Canon must have employed the same ethos now.

Big contrast over at Nikon who seem to have product in the shops almost a few days after its been announced

Sigma has got better, the Canon mount 35 will be available next week. Nikon at the end of the month.

1       2       3      
       5       6       end