New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!
/forum/topic/1163966/2

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Keen eyed people hang around here...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Tom K.
Total Posts: 6758

The Sigma 35 f/1.4 is a lens I might buy. I just want to see some reviews on it.

stevez32
Total Posts: 3047

Can't wait to find out more on the USB calibration for these new Sigmas

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19923

stevez32 wrote:
Can't wait to find out more on the USB calibration for these new Sigmas

I'm hoping I never need it

BTW using the spot AF mode on my 5D III with the Sigma 50 and 85 they are spot on, so-to-speak even wide open.

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11662

I could see me owning a stimga or tamron.

dolina
Total Posts: 3701

I wonder when Schneider, Tokina and Tamron will release their own take on the 35/1.4. I bet they'll do so before Canon announces an updated 35/1.4.

GC5
Total Posts: 2325

I've said it before, but whoever is responsible for the new aesthetics of Sigma's lenses needs a raise. Their new lenses look awesome (hopefully they will perform that way too).

robsuh
Total Posts: 267

Those new Sigmas (Art) are the nicest looking lenses - from any vendor.

killersnowman
Total Posts: 2366

the design on the new sigmas is in a whole new class than what they were doing before. they are treating the lens not just as a tool but as something that should be admired for its own design. this is good. very good

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18011

geniousc wrote:
The 35 1.4 should be a killer if it includes the stated optimization software. There is a writeup in the Nikon forum about this. It's similar to Focal I guess but the lens has a programmable chip that can be user calibrated to cover all distances, firmware upgrades etc.. This should cover the focus issues.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1160493

gene

That is really cool. If successful, could we see something similar from Canon and Nikon?

From their page:
"The new Sigma Optimization Pro software and USB Dock are designed exclusively for these new product lines and will enable Sigma users to connect their lenses to their computers to update lens firmware and fine-tune focus parameters via easy-to-use, on-screen controls.

All of these new lenses will also be subject to Sigma’s new, proprietary modulation transfer function (MTF) measuring system called “A1.” Named in honor of the company’s sole production base, the Aizu factory in Aizu, Japan, the A1 system will allow inspectors to verify previously undetectable high-frequency details in each lens before it is shipped.

“We used to measure lens performance with a MTF measuring system using conventional sensors, but this new A1 system uses our own 46-megapixel Foveon direct imaging sensors,” said Yamaki. “We view this new method of performance evaluation as being incredibly important, not only because we owe it to our customers, but because we owe it to ourselves. We’ve spent more than 50 years perfecting our design and manufacturing processes, and now we deliver a complete package by closing the loop on that commitment to quality by adopting a more stringent verification process.”

Jeff_Stapleton
Total Posts: 1100

I think the new sigmas look like "modern art" from the 80s... I don't like them much, but if they perform, it doesn't matter

Pixel Perfect

robsuh wrote:
Those new Sigmas (Art) are the nicest looking lenses - from any vendor.

They are literally works of Art.

Look very nice. Can't wait to see how the new 120-300 f/2.8 performs.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18011

I also like the new design. Classy.
Here is a bigger look...

Jeff_Stapleton
Total Posts: 1100

I guess I need to see one in person. At first glance, I was reminded of some of the faux-metal finished (cheap) canon lenses that they have put out

Pixel Perfect

Fred Miranda wrote:
I also like the new design. Classy.
Here is a bigger look...

p666
Total Posts: 26

Competition in the space is always good, stops Canon running away and raising their prices every time they release something new.

Nice move by Sigma to announce this a few days after Canon's, no doubt waiting for a final confirmation on the Canon pricing before announcing their own. If the IQ is outstanding, I think the lack of IS won't matter so much in comparison.

Now we just need Tamron to release a cheaper 24-70mm VC with ~F/3.5 instead of 2.8 for somewhere under $1000, or a better 28-75mm non-VC for say $600.. Even if it only has 90% of the IQ of the new Canon 24-70mm F4 IS, it could put the foot into Canon a little

Pixel Perfect

p666 wrote:
Competition in the space is always good, stops Canon running away and raising their prices every time they release something new.

Nice move by Sigma to announce this a few days after Canon's, no doubt waiting for a final confirmation on the Canon pricing before announcing their own. If the IQ is outstanding, I think the lack of IS won't matter so much in comparison.

Now we just need Tamron to release a cheaper 24-70mm VC with ~F/3.5 instead of 2.8 for somewhere under $1000, or a better 28-75mm non-VC for say $600.. Even if it only has 90% of the IQ of the new Canon 24-70mm F4 IS, it could put the foot into Canon a little

Just get the current Tammy 24-70 VC, it's already $300 cheaper than the 24-70 f/4 and f/2.8 is worth far more than a crippled macro mode headline.

thw2
Total Posts: 2929

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Just get the current Tammy 24-70 VC, it's already $300 cheaper than the 24-70 f/4 and f/2.8 is worth far more than a crippled macro mode headline.

The attractive part in both Canon offerings is reduced weight:
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC = 825 g, Canon 24-70 f/4 IS = 600 g
Sigma 35 f/1.4 ~ 600 g (guess based on current Nikon and Canon offerings), Canon 35 f/2 IS = 335 g

These weight savings cannot be easily dismissed.

Pixel Perfect

thw2 wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:

The attractive part in both Canon offerings is reduced weight:
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC = 825 g, Canon 24-70 f/4 IS = 600 g
Sigma 35 f/1.4 ~ 600 g (guess based on current Nikon and Canon offerings), Canon 35 f/2 IS = 335 g

These weight savings cannot be easily dismissed.

You want an extra stop of speed you have to deal with bigger glass, no way around it. 35 f/2 is appealing since f/2 is still fast, but a 24-70 f/4 has zero appeal due to it being f/4. I accept the compromise on the 24-105 as it's a much longer FL range which makes it ideal for travel.

Pixel Perfect

Sigma mtf for 35 f/1.4 wide open

canon 35 f/1.4L

35 f/2. IS

Canon has wide open (black) and stopped down. Looks like Sigma and canon 35 f/2 smack the 35L's bum wide open

oh here's an explanation of MTF from Canon's lens guide book

1       2      
       4       5       6       end