A headshot from yesterday
/forum/topic/1163914/1

end

benee
Total Posts: 1730

Damn, this is good.

I wonder if by "open" he means brighter, fresher lighting? (i.e less shadowing/natural light?)

In any case, I think this is a really, really cool headshot - makes me intrigued in the actor's personality.

I think that this would be a really good part of a 1-2 punch - this could be the "darker" look and then another shot would be the brighter, airier shot.

mosier
Total Posts: 1720

Thanks man. That's exactly what I do. I should have mentioned that. I do several different setups during all if my sessions. I think it's extremely important to give actors range. Not just with expression, but also lighting that fits different moods.

Appreciate the feedback

Jeff

neighbourboy
Total Posts: 2617

This is a fantastic shot, Jeff. Really great mood the two of you created here. It makes me feel a little better that even somebody as skilled as you, struggles with banding/gradation on web images ;-) The grain fix is pretty awesome, though. Now, I've been staring at his eyes for far too long, trying to picture was Kitty was saying, 'cuz I've always liked her input. It's nothing I would have noticed until I stared for far to long, but I'm wondering if it's just kind of an illusion with the whites of his right eye (our left) appearing somewhat prominent on the inside, because it's a bit brighter and there's simply more of it, because it's facing right at us. I don't know if that even makes any sense or not and I don't know what you could even do about it, because the angle of his face to the camera is perfect. But anyway, I'm probably just rambling on, which I often do ;-)

--David

sboerup
Total Posts: 9750

You suck.

jzucker
Total Posts: 2450

Brilliant!

Jim Rickards
Total Posts: 10200

Nice shot indeed as so many have already said.

Discussion points:

- a slight upward tilt of the head ( or lowering of the light) changes the light in his eyes, maybe giving a bit more to the top of each eye socket. It might change what you were going for, however.

Usually this angle (showing a slight slice of the left ear) doesn't look best, but here the power of the eyes draws the attention there instead.

The noise added to the second shot gives a nicer feel than #1.

Facial expression is a big feature of this shot. Good choice.

Robin Usagani
Total Posts: 2836

Awesome. One day ill be in NY. I want one. You make any man look like a GQ model hah. It cant be done with me but i want one anyway.

g13a
Total Posts: 19

Jeff,
Love the light in the image.First thing that attract my attention when I see this image again and again is the eyes of the model and they indeed speaks a lot of things.

Thanks for sharing.

CarlG
Total Posts: 6311

Nice image - wish it had a hint of a rim/accent light

mosier

Thanks guys. Carl, as cool as that might have looked, it would have made the image all about the light rather then the actor I do it from time to time, but I really liked spotting the bg to create some separation.

jfinite
Total Posts: 8282

Great dramatic headshot.

david1234
Total Posts: 1231

Looks great, how do you like the h3d? been looking into one!

mosier

Thanks man. I love this camera! As impressive as the d800 is there's a look to these files that I prefer. Even at 22mp I think the files in a controlled setting are flawless. I don't recommend it over ISO 200 though.

svillareal
Total Posts: 502

I love the feel of it Jeff. Awesome!

sozypozy
Total Posts: 600

I love the dramatic feel you have set in the picture. The composition is really well done too

JakeB.
Total Posts: 3307

Jeff, this shot is great and you have some really nice stuff on your site... you've given me some inspiration for a studio session tomorrow night.
I've got some actor friends in NYC and I'll make sure they know you're the guy for headshots.

Kudos man

mosier

Thanks guys!

Appreciate it Jake =)

bcguy
Total Posts: 344

The only thing I'm qualified to say here is: wow, great portrait! Keep doing what you're doing!

end