New Canon 35mm F2 IS and 24-70mm f/4L IS!
/forum/topic/1163424/1

1      
2
       3              10       11       end

leftnose
Registered: May 25, 2012
Total Posts: 26
Country: United States

$900 is overpriced for a non-L prime but I'll be all over that 35 like white on rice. I've been wanting that exact lens since the 24 and 28 IS were announced. That lens, with its 4-stop IS, will be ab absolute game changer for me and the types of photos I take. I mean, that's pushing 1/2 second hand-held exposures with my favorite focal length! And with an f/2 max aperture, you can always crank the ISO a bit and stop motion (though, 35mm isn't exactly a sports lens).

I have both the 35/2 and 1.4L right now, if this lens is as good as the 24 and 28 IS (better than the lenses they replaced but not quite L quality) I could easily see using this lens for 80% of my shots.

I will pre-order the 35 ASAP.

The 24-70/4L, I don't quite get, though. I'll keep my 24-105.



Jeff Nolten
Registered: Sep 06, 2006
Total Posts: 1533
Country: United States

The new 35 is interesting, but its 1/4 pound heavier, uses a much bigger filter, and priced about $900 (converted from yen). It better retain the old 35's close focus ability and be very sharp at f2!



Photon
Registered: Jan 19, 2003
Total Posts: 9926
Country: United States

If the 35 f/2 IS becomes a reality, I will likely substitute it for my 35/1.4 L and 35/2.



leftnose
Registered: May 25, 2012
Total Posts: 26
Country: United States

Photon wrote:
If the 35 f/2 IS becomes a reality, I will likely substitute it for my 35/1.4 L and 35/2.


I just posted this on another forum discussing this lens:

...I can see room for all three in my lens "collection."
35/2 as a light, small lens to toss in my bag with my zooms to have a fast prime handy.
35/2 IS as a general walkaround lens when I'm in a prime mood.
35/1.4L for use when quality is paramount.


I'll have all three as well but I see each having its own niche. Though, depending on its optical quality, I can easily see why/how it would replace both of the other lenses in anyone's bag.

Needless to say, though, despite the price, I am super excited for this lens. I haven't been this excited about a piece of gear since the 5D2 was released with its 21MP.



koprivakopriva
Registered: Jun 07, 2009
Total Posts: 217
Country: United States

Dem prices....

Yikes. I've been reading around the thread that some people have been picking up 5D MKII kits with the 24-105 kit for $200 more than the body only.

$1800? Wow. How much is the new 24-70mm? I forget..



PhilDrinkwater
Registered: Feb 24, 2010
Total Posts: 1871
Country: United Kingdom

RobertLynn wrote:
I think a 24-70 f/4is is stupid. But at $1800, it's really stupid.


This was the same statement that many made about the 24-70II. Maybe first let's see whether it's a really good lens and then decide if it's worth the money rather than the other way around?

And lenses always drop in price over the years. They all start significantly higher.



robinlee
Registered: Dec 14, 2009
Total Posts: 400
Country: United Kingdom

Seems like the price is a little unrealistic to ask from Canon

If its true I will hold back my 24-105mm and opt for Tamron instead.



gdanmitchell
Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Total Posts: 8434
Country: United States

Gotta' love rumors!

I'm with those who have a hard time understanding the appeal of a 24-70mm f/4 IS lens... when the fine 24-105mm f/4 IS already exists. I'm betting that there is something a bit "off" about that rumor.

The 35mm f/2 IS seems a bit less odd, though with a recently released 40mm lens it comes a bit close to being nearly redundant. Certainly the 35mm focal length is a popular and useful one, and the fine current 35mm f/2 is worthy of an update, and Canon does seem to be introducing IS to more of their primes. (The old 35mm f/2 is really a fine performer, despite its older design, and the small size is very appealing. While I would be interested in a newer and "better" 35mm f/2, it would have to be quite a good lens to get me to give up the older model.)

Dan



gdanmitchell
Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Total Posts: 8434
Country: United States

I can almost understand having the 35mm f/1.4 and the 35mm f/2 (old version), given their very different sizes - barely - but having all three? Seriously?

Dan

leftnose wrote:
Photon wrote:
If the 35 f/2 IS becomes a reality, I will likely substitute it for my 35/1.4 L and 35/2.


I just posted this on another forum discussing this lens:

...I can see room for all three in my lens "collection."
35/2 as a light, small lens to toss in my bag with my zooms to have a fast prime handy.
35/2 IS as a general walkaround lens when I'm in a prime mood.
35/1.4L for use when quality is paramount.


I'll have all three as well but I see each having its own niche. Though, depending on its optical quality, I can easily see why/how it would replace both of the other lenses in anyone's bag.

Needless to say, though, despite the price, I am super excited for this lens. I haven't been this excited about a piece of gear since the 5D2 was released with its 21MP.



deepbluejh
Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Total Posts: 6827
Country: United States

Guys, you can buy a new 24-104 L IS right now for $800. The 24-70/4 IS is NOT going to be $1800. There is just no way.



kapytalyst
Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Total Posts: 692
Country: United States

17-40mm f/4L IS would've made more sense to me, and given Canon shooters an alternative to Nikon's 16-35mm f/4G ED VR II AF-S IF SWM.



fotosculptor
Registered: Dec 09, 2008
Total Posts: 139
Country: United States

Rumored price listed on CR: EF 24-70 f/4L IS $849 and weighing 545g

That would be much more reasonable.



nsfour
Registered: Sep 24, 2012
Total Posts: 1
Country: Canada

PetKal wrote:
OK, what's next from Canon ?

Perhaps EF 70-150mm f/4L IS USM ?


Thanks, exactly how I felt!!!!



RazorTM
Registered: Mar 04, 2008
Total Posts: 622
Country: United States

I figured it out! They chopped 35mm off the 24-105 to make these two new lenses



Wahoowa
Registered: Feb 13, 2011
Total Posts: 1524
Country: United States

fotosculptor wrote:
Rumored price listed on CR: EF 24-70 f/4L IS $849 and weighing 545g

That would be much more reasonable.


But reasonable is not Canon's virtue recently.

I think the specs of the new 24-70/4L IS are very interesting. With 2 UD elements, the image quality should be much better than the old good 24-105L. It focuses closer, has 9 blades and has hybrid IS. If priced at $850, Canon will just cannabalize their own 24-70/2.8L II sales.



PhilDrinkwater
Registered: Feb 24, 2010
Total Posts: 1871
Country: United Kingdom

RazorTM wrote:
I figured it out! They chopped 35mm off the 24-105 to make these two new lenses


Hahah!!!



Wahoowa
Registered: Feb 13, 2011
Total Posts: 1524
Country: United States

RazorTM wrote:
I figured it out! They chopped 35mm off the 24-105 to make these two new lenses




dadgummit
Registered: Sep 13, 2008
Total Posts: 112
Country: United States

I would guess the 24-70 f4 would start out at least $1200-$1400 if not higher and settle into about the $1000-$1100 range after early adopters purchase theirs. I am guessing it will have better IS (4-stop VS 3 and will be the new hybrid which helpa in an additional axis of movement) less distortion, lighter and maybe sharper in the corners.

I would also guess it will be the new 5D & 6D kit lens once the 24-105 sells out.



Wahoowa
Registered: Feb 13, 2011
Total Posts: 1524
Country: United States

dadgummit wrote:
I would guess the 24-70 f4 would start out at least $1200-$1400 if not higher and settle into about the $1000-$1100 range after early adopters purchase theirs. I am guessing it will have better IS (4-stop VS 3 and will be the new hybrid which helpa in an additional axis of movement) less distortion, lighter and maybe sharper in the corners.


That makes more sense based on Canon's recent pricing. That makes it sound as if $849 for a new 24-70/4L IS is a scam to me.

We'll have to wait and see.



mco_970
Registered: Apr 03, 2009
Total Posts: 5210
Country: United States

RazorTM wrote:
I figured it out! They chopped 35mm off the 24-105 to make these two new lenses


And such a deal they are, at 3x the price!



1      
2
       3              10       11       end