New Canon 35mm F2 IS and 24-70mm f/4L IS!
/forum/topic/1163424/0

1
       2       3              10       11       end

Fred Miranda
Registered: Dec 31, 2001
Total Posts: 17386
Country: United States

According to digicame-info, two new Canon lenses are set to be announced, the Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS and Canon 35mm f/2 IS. They just posted pictures and specifications. Here are the details:

Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS

  • 15 elements in 12 groups, 2 aspherical lens, 2 UD lens
  • 9-blade circular aperture
  • Weatherproof
  • 0.2m minimum focusing distance, 0.7 times the maximum magnification
  • Macro mode can be switched to the telephoto end
  • Hybrid IS: 4-stop normal shooting and 2.5-stop macro mode
  • 77mm filter size
  • 600g weight, 93mm length, 83.4mm in diameter
  • Released in mid-December

Canon 35mm f/2 IS
  • 10 elements in 8 groups, glass-molded aspherical lens
  • 8-blade circular aperture
  • 4-stop Image Stabilization
  • AF motor ring USM, full-time manual focus
  • 67mm filter size
  • 335g weight, 62.6mm length, 77.9mm in diameter
  • Released in early December 2012
Both lenses are now available for preorder at B&H Photo:
Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS($1,499)
Canon 35mm f/2 IS($849)


Betacamman
Registered: Jun 13, 2011
Total Posts: 340
Country: United States

Unless this 24-70 is just leaps and bounds better than the 24-105, I just don't get this. Nice to see an update to the 35, though.



cordellwillis
Registered: Aug 24, 2004
Total Posts: 5077
Country: United States

I hope that 35 is as decent as the older one...now with IS. I would LOVE it!! Thanks for the heads-up Fred.



PetKal
Registered: Sep 06, 2007
Total Posts: 23872
Country: Canada

OK, what's next from Canon ?

Perhaps EF 70-150mm f/4L IS USM ?



Betacamman
Registered: Jun 13, 2011
Total Posts: 340
Country: United States

cordellwillis wrote:
I hope that 35 is as decent as the older one...now with IS. I would LOVE it!! Thanks for the heads-up Fred.


And USM to boot. About time!



kewlcanon
Registered: Mar 28, 2009
Total Posts: 4389
Country: United States

Rumor new 50mm IS .



godfreyz
Registered: Feb 04, 2005
Total Posts: 1003
Country: United States

Betacamman wrote:
Unless this 24-70 is just leaps and bounds better than the 24-105, I just don't get this. Nice to see an update to the 35, though.


+1



onegreatcity
Registered: Feb 07, 2010
Total Posts: 1198
Country: Canada

Sorry if I missed this information but...any word on pricing?



James Taylor
Registered: Feb 15, 2006
Total Posts: 726
Country: United States

I agree with the above -- why would you want to go from 24-105 to 24-70 @ F4? Seems like a step in the wrong direction? Unless maybe they will keep the 24-105 and just want a different kit lens for 5D & 6D bodies?



geniousc
Registered: May 08, 2005
Total Posts: 1773
Country: United States

^^
High



rscheffler
Registered: Aug 23, 2005
Total Posts: 4614
Country: Canada

PetKal wrote:
OK, what's next from Canon ?

Perhaps EF 70-150mm f/4L IS USM ?


I'd really like a 35-200 f/4L IS



gvg45
Registered: Oct 05, 2007
Total Posts: 1078
Country: United States

onegreatcity wrote:
Sorry if I missed this information but...any word on pricing?


According to the translation Fred posted...
$1800 for the 24-70mm
$900 for the 35mm



snapsy
Registered: Feb 24, 2008
Total Posts: 3951
Country: United States

James Taylor wrote:
I agree with the above -- why would you want to go from 24-105 to 24-70 @ F4? Seems like a step in the wrong direction? Unless maybe they will keep the 24-105 and just want a different kit lens for 5D & 6D bodies?


The 24-70 f4 will likely have better IQ, better IS and perhaps even better AF on the newer bodies in line with the other recent Canon lenses.



JakeB.
Registered: Dec 09, 2005
Total Posts: 3304
Country: United States

gvg45 wrote:
According to the translation Fred posted...
$1800 for the 24-70mm
$900 for the 35mm


Whoa.

Sign me up for neither of these.



PetKal
Registered: Sep 06, 2007
Total Posts: 23872
Country: Canada

rscheffler wrote:
PetKal wrote:
OK, what's next from Canon ?

Perhaps EF 70-150mm f/4L IS USM ?


I'd really like a 35-200 f/4L IS



Patience, Ron........that one is coming next year.



Will Patterson
Registered: Nov 06, 2006
Total Posts: 4626
Country: United States

The heck...?



onegreatcity
Registered: Feb 07, 2010
Total Posts: 1198
Country: Canada

gvg45 wrote:
onegreatcity wrote:
Sorry if I missed this information but...any word on pricing?


According to the translation Fred posted...
$1800 for the 24-70mm
$900 for the 35mm


Thanks. I have a perfectly good 24-105 so the 24-70 seems redundant. The 35mm sounds interesting but not at that price. More pancake!



Jeff_Stapleton
Registered: Aug 23, 2008
Total Posts: 1100
Country: United States

I'd be great with an optically redesigned 35 without IS for around $400. Might as well be an L minus lens (DO?) haha



justruss
Registered: Jul 05, 2004
Total Posts: 4196
Country: United States

Canon pricing is getting funny to me.



RobertLynn
Registered: Jan 05, 2008
Total Posts: 11427
Country: United States

I think a 24-70 f/4is is stupid. But at $1800, it's really stupid.

I was excited about the 35, as I have a non-is version and it is great! But at $900 count me out of upgrading.



1
       2       3              10       11       end