A few from NC
/forum/topic/1163279/2

1       2      
       4       5       end

Shasoc
Total Posts: 31336

CDaescher wrote:
Socrate, really nice waterfall images, especially #2 & 4.
Big congrats with the Nuthatch. Looking very good.
Chris

Thanks for the words, Chris
Socrate

Shasoc

mike717 wrote:
Beautiful work Socrate, love the waterfalls and congrats on the nuthatches.

Mike

Thanks Mike. good to hear you liked them
Socrate

Shasoc

Tim Kuhn wrote:
There you are my friend

So glad to hear you and your better half had a great time visiting NC and taking in the sights. You offer up some beautiful shots of the waterfalls. 2 is my pick off them but 3 & 4 are so beautiful with the dreamy treatment you have given them. Congrats on all the Nuthatches, of course they are wonderfully presented pssst, I'll excuse the rebar

Tim

Thanks for the comments, Tim. We sure did have a great time, even if we had to cut it short a few days due to Sandy.
There must have been something special about that rebar, because with all the trees and limbs that were around that bird seemed to love that perch
Socrate

Shasoc

morris wrote:
Looks like a pretty place with nice falls. Keep practicing on falls and keep the great bird photos coming Socrate

Morris

Thanks, Morris
Socrate

Shasoc

jfwoodman wrote:
Beautiful landscapes and nuthatches, Socrate. #2 and 5 are my picks from this terrific set.

Jim

Thanks for the kind words, Jim
Socrate

Shasoc

matthewo wrote:
Just got back from there Also, be glad you didnt hike to the Bottom of upper falla. I bit off more then I thought. No real path and almost vertical, almost didnt make it back up with m heavy camera and tripod. My legs have been burning for days

I actually hiked all the way down to the bottom of the Whitewater falls, if that is what you are referring to. Yep, a steep and strenuous hike with a backpack, an heavy camera and the tripod. I got all the way to the iron bridge that crosses the river and yes my legs were burning
Here is a view from the bridge.
P.S. In case you wonder (like I did) that bridge was positioned with an helicopter.

ausmr
Total Posts: 2024

Superb birds, Socrate.
I loved the waterfalls but wished there were slightly more underexposed and showing more detail in water and in surrounding leaves
-mirek

Shasoc

trailhiker wrote:
Hello Socrate, hope you remember me... I love landscapes almost as much as bird shots, and these are beautiful -- and I like way you played with the shutter speed to give different looks to the watery cascades. And aren't the Nuthatches fun to watch? Congrats on getting your first; my fave of the lot is #5, so pretty against that colorful bg, and in the patented Nuthatch pose. Don't know if you've heard, but I'm retiring next year, and heading down the road with Tundra and Discovery, my travel trailer, for a life of photography, hiking, backpacking, and exploring the US and Canada in general. And visiting with friends...I hope to see you during my Life on the Road Tour 2013-? when we can fill a few memory cards together...

Your Friend,
Steve

What is your name again?
Hey, Steve! How are you doing? I thought you were going to retire this year. That sounds like a great program and I will be more than happy to fill a few memory cards together.
Thanks for stopping by, my friend
Socrate

Shasoc

David Leask wrote:
Wonderful shots Socrate. It looks like you had a great trip
David

Thank you, David. Yes, it was a great trip
Socrate

Shasoc

hayath wrote:
#2 and the first of the nuthatch for me, loved both

Thank you, Hayath
Socrate

Thomas Sanders
Total Posts: 15498

You know I love those Nuthatch shots Socrate, each one
Your take on the Falls are really quite impressive and excellent techs complete the presentation!
My favorite has to be #4 Dry Falls. Extraordinary comp

Tom

matthewo
Total Posts: 319

Shasoc wrote:
matthewo wrote:
Just got back from there Also, be glad you didnt hike to the Bottom of upper falla. I bit off more then I thought. No real path and almost vertical, almost didnt make it back up with m heavy camera and tripod. My legs have been burning for days

I actually hiked all the way down to the bottom of the Whitewater falls, if that is what you are referring to. Yep, a steep and strenuous hike with a backpack, an heavy camera and the tripod. I got all the way to the iron bridge that crosses the river and yes my legs were burning
P.S. In case you wonder (like I did) that bridge was positioned with an helicopter.

i think we are talking about two different falls. whitewater falls, has an top section called upper falls. the falls i was talking about is 5 miles south of franklin nc. whitewater falls is somewhere west of highlands NC.

Shasoc

matthewo wrote:
Shasoc wrote:
matthewo wrote:

i think we are talking about two different falls. whitewater falls, has an top section called upper falls. the falls i was talking about is 5 miles south of franklin nc. whitewater falls is somewhere west of highlands NC.

Yes, We are talking about two different falls. I only know one Whitewater Falls in NC, a well known waterfall considered to be the highest east of the Rockies. It's the most spectacular waterfall in the East, located about 10 miles East of Highlands and about 8 mile SE of Cashiers. Here is a pic of the whole waterfall, not just the upper section.
You may be referring to what it is known as the Middle Creek Falls, located South of Franklin, but I'm not sure
Socrate

matthewo
Total Posts: 319

here is the picture of the one im talking about, i took this from the bottom of the falls. i really wish i went to the whitewater falls, but my wife was kinda sick of waterfalls and hiking after we went to a handful of them.

waldr_p
Total Posts: 5972

Beautiful set. 2, 3 and 5 are the highlights for me.

Paul.

gerov
Total Posts: 8660

very nice set of waterfalls, Socrate. The colors are warm and you've blurred the water nicely.

My favorite nuthatch is No. 6 on the iron bar.

Gero

jbr13
Total Posts: 338

Socrate, Very nice images! That area is such a great area of falls, did you make it farther down the road to Bridal Veil Falls? It seems like just a trickle but can make for a nice photograph as well.

Jason

Shasoc

jbr13 wrote:
Socrate, Very nice images! That area is such a great area of falls, did you make it farther down the road to Bridal Veil Falls? It seems like just a trickle but can make for a nice photograph as well.

Jason

Thank you, Jason. Yes I did! and ,of course, I drove behind the waterfall I visited most of the falls of the Cullasaja River paralleling the section of the scenic US 64, including Glen Falls.
Socrate

Rashim Good
Total Posts: 332

A superb set, Socrate.
While hard to pick favourites, the second waterfall image is beuatiful, and inspires one to take up the old paintbrushes.
# 3-Love the low angle, and the play of light in the distant trees and on the water.
Also like the dark and cool colours in the last waterfall (#8).
And # 5-wow, a beauty, especially against the gorgeous autumnal background.
Rashim

ShaneB77
Total Posts: 87

I'm loving #5 (White-breasted Nuthatch). The contrast between the cool colors of the bird and tree, mixed with the orange of the forest, works *really* well, and his pose is fantastic.

1       2      
       4       5       end