How bad is Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZE Planar?
/forum/topic/1163096/12

1       2       3              12      
13
       14       end

carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15814
Country: Germany

What design! I love the biplane in the second shot.



Jonas B
Registered: Jun 05, 2005
Total Posts: 2433
Country: Sweden

Heh, now I remember; "Me and Mr Linhof", wasn't it? You gotta admire the work also if there is no carbon fibre involved.



Mescalamba
Registered: Jul 06, 2011
Total Posts: 3204
Country: Czech Republic

Looks cool, kinda retro-ish. Like old american cars.



johnahill
Registered: Jan 08, 2006
Total Posts: 2529
Country: United Kingdom

I've not said much here yet, but I love my 50P

Here's a few from me :-)



teh_rebel
Registered: Aug 03, 2005
Total Posts: 710
Country: United States

cross-post but the 50/1.4 Planar (CY) is awesome on the X-Pro1 as well

























bushwacker
Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Total Posts: 871
Country: United States

teh_rebel wrote:
cross-post but the 50/1.4 Planar (CY) is awesome on the X-Pro1 as well











this looks 3D to me.


bushwacker
Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Total Posts: 871
Country: United States

johnahill wrote:
I've not said much here yet, but I love my 50P

Here's a few from me :-)





Is there a FACEBOOK page dedicated to Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar only were we can post pics made by this lens?



Lotusm50
Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Total Posts: 6228
Country: United States

bushwacker wrote:
Is there a FACEBOOK page dedicated to Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar only were we can post pics made by this lens?




Why do we need a Facebook page for this when we have this forum? If you like you can post to Zeiss' Facebook page.



Jochenb
Registered: May 25, 2010
Total Posts: 1811
Country: Belgium

bushwacker wrote:
johnahill wrote:
I've not said much here yet, but I love my 50P

Here's a few from me :-)





Is there a FACEBOOK page dedicated to Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar only were we can post pics made by this lens?



Flickr:
50 planar group



philip_pj
Registered: Apr 03, 2009
Total Posts: 3103
Country: Australia

Those Flickr photographs are great advertisements for FM images ;-)

'this looks 3D to me.'
Good for you.
50P bokeh can look a little, well, strident, to me at times.



bushwacker
Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Total Posts: 871
Country: United States

Makten wrote:


On topic, two photos with this overstated, "fashion", worthless lens that only weak people uses because they don't understand how much better other lenses are.



I agree with you, from now on let's call 50P - Weak people's lens. Just to satisfy some people here.



bushwacker
Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Total Posts: 871
Country: United States

wayne seltzer wrote:
Try. -8 feet to subject, f5.6, and at least 15 feet to background which is not high contrast.
ie. no backlit tree leaves.


f/5.6? i might lose the bokeh here. anyway I am going out & test it myself. thank you very much.



dthrog00
Registered: Jan 30, 2012
Total Posts: 253
Country: United States

I like the 50 Planar's bokeh in most all situations I've used it in so far. It has lots of character. Some object to it near wide open though.

Dave



carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15814
Country: Germany

philip_pj wrote:
50P bokeh can look a little, well, strident, to me at times.


Sure. Which fast 35 or 50 doesn't have this, and still has interesting rendering? One of the only ones which comes close is the RX1 lens, but it still isn't perfect.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10680
Country: United States

carstenw wrote:
philip_pj wrote:
50P bokeh can look a little, well, strident, to me at times.


Sure. Which fast 35 or 50 doesn't have this, and still has interesting rendering? One of the only ones which comes close is the RX1 lens, but it still isn't perfect.


the 50P has exceptionally funky bokeh (even for a fast 50) ) wide open at near distance.



AhamB
Registered: Jul 11, 2008
Total Posts: 5030
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:
carstenw wrote:
philip_pj wrote:
50P bokeh can look a little, well, strident, to me at times.


Sure. Which fast 35 or 50 doesn't have this, and still has interesting rendering? One of the only ones which comes close is the RX1 lens, but it still isn't perfect.


the 50P has exceptionally funky bokeh (even for a fast 50) ) wide open at near distance.


If the background is also close, yes. If the background is a bit more distant it can be pretty smooth:
(5D+Contax 50/1.4 wide open)






sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10680
Country: United States

AhamB wrote:
sebboh wrote:
carstenw wrote:
philip_pj wrote:
50P bokeh can look a little, well, strident, to me at times.


Sure. Which fast 35 or 50 doesn't have this, and still has interesting rendering? One of the only ones which comes close is the RX1 lens, but it still isn't perfect.


the 50P has exceptionally funky bokeh (even for a fast 50) ) wide open at near distance.


If the background is also close, yes. If the background is a bit more distant it can be pretty smooth:
(5D+Contax 50/1.4 wide open)






yes, in fact it can be quite beautiful because it is still not as smooth as most, but has lost most of the harshness.


carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15814
Country: Germany

sebboh wrote:
carstenw wrote:
philip_pj wrote:
50P bokeh can look a little, well, strident, to me at times.


Sure. Which fast 35 or 50 doesn't have this, and still has interesting rendering? One of the only ones which comes close is the RX1 lens, but it still isn't perfect.


the 50P has exceptionally funky bokeh (even for a fast 50) ) wide open at near distance.


Only very near the near limit. It also has some of the most beautiful boke of any lens in the mid-range, and when stopped down, it is razor-sharp and practically flawless. Some samples:

































































































All should have EXIF.


Fverburg
Registered: Jul 13, 2011
Total Posts: 52
Country: United States

Great shots everyone......

I can't understand why this lens gets so many negative reviews on the web. I'm having a great time with mine.



















LeadyGonzales
Registered: May 19, 2011
Total Posts: 422
Country: Switzerland

the planar is a nice, small lens.

I got a HFT-version, removed the strange assymmetric thing and use it on speed booster and NEX-6.


-L.







1       2       3              12      
13
       14       end