Night shoot
/forum/topic/1162923/0

Alpi07
Total Posts: 52

I didn't had the time to shoot any interesting lately, tonight there was some very uncommon fog, and I try a shoot.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Alpi07

...I forgot...

Canon 5d markII
50mm 1.4
f 1.6 sec 1/80 iso 2000

ben egbert
Total Posts: 7170

I would like to try this sort of photography myself. I need a better high iso camera though. But maybe it does not matter as much because there is less detail. My fast lenses are f2.8.

Any post processing tips?

Alpi07

I hoped you would told me

This is basically sooc, I just rised a little the contrast in levels moving the middle point to the right.
I didn't even sharpened in camera or in PS since I wold have lost the "foggy" feeling.
My white balance was on auto, thus green result.
I hand held, but I believe with a tripod you could easily lower the ISO and extend the exposure time.

joshim
Total Posts: 344

hey Alpi07,

Sounds like, technically speaking, you know what needs to be improved (WB, etc.)

My advice would be to work on your posture =)

I know that sounds funny, but if you hold your camera properly, you should be able to pull off that shot at 1/10th second without a tripod (my students practiced and pull it off easily all the time now). Also, any reason you were shooting at 1.6 instead of 1.4? If not, drop that to max -stop. That'll give you 3 1/3 extra stops of light.

You should be able to shoot that same picture at ISO 200 with those changes.

Now it's all just post processing like Ben Egbert suggested =)

Good luck!

RustyBug
Total Posts: 13596

joshim raises a good point.

With practice it is possible to hand hold at much slower speeds. While 1/10th of a sec with a 50mm (i.e. 1/5th of fl) might be something that not everyone can pull off well, You could probably have easily pulled off something between 1/25 - 1/40 to get you under the 1,000 ISO mark.

I haven't shot the 5D II ... but with even with my 5Dc or 1D II / II N series ISO 800 is markedly better than above 1600. I might not try and chase ISO 200 at the increased risk of camera shake to handhold @ 1/10, but I'd certainly go for ISO 800 @ 1/30-ish with a 50mm lens.

Alpi07

Thank you for the comments. Unfortunately I am that kind of shooter that when clicks make shake even the ground on which is standing :/ but for sure I can try to improve more.

Would you have any suggestion for the post? I did like the green light, but I understood that it is not acceptable. What else?

joshim
Total Posts: 344

I agree with RustyBug, no reason to really go all the way to 1/10th @ ISO 200. I was just giving an extreme example to show what can be done with good posture.

As for post, it's really up to what your vision for the photo. If you like the green, keep the green. Most might not agree with you (including me), but you're doing this for yourself and not for a client, right?. I would say do some noise reduction and get rid of that CA (chromatic aberration).

If it were up to me? I'd change it to B&W and crop for a more panoramic feel. =)

RustyBug
Total Posts: 13596

+1 @ green if you like for mood or creativity ...
+1 @ B&W for mood also

Alpi07

Thank you all, I've tried. I'm not happy about my work, but at least I can see deh difference

sbeme
Total Posts: 18081

I like the BW.
I think the crop is too much and I have no problem with the large negative space above in the original. If you go pano, maybe less off the top?

Scott

Alpi07

Thank you. I feel as well that I took off too much from the top.

BeaverMan
Total Posts: 437

i like the BW and the crop. But i always like heavy crops.

Mister Bean
Total Posts: 593

Interesting shot. I like the black and white version, but it did seem to be cropped a little more than I would go for. In the version below I gave it a different crop, increased the exposure, brought up the shadows further, added a brush stroke of decreased exposure in the dark areas to eliminate some of the noise in them, and then added a little noise reduction (which actually seems to help emphasize the fogginess). It's starting to get a little crunchy, but if you were to do this with the original it wouldn't look as much so.

http://www.myrealnameismatt.com/Misc/Miranda/NightShot.jpg

Alpi07

Thanks I will try!
I love this version. I never use the noise reduction filter so I'm totally new about it. I'll work it again.