1       2       3       4      
       end

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4834

edwardkaraa wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Exdsc wrote:
edwardkaraa wrote:
It seems this brand [Leica] attracts hatred and hostility for some strange reason...

I think its mostly contempt and mockery, hostility and hatred is reserved for those who shoot with an iPad.

I think Edward is a wee bit paranoid.

Has anyone in this thread bashed a person? There is a big difference between hating a brand of camera vs hating a person who uses said brand. I find Leica (the company and brand) to be repugnant in an extreme way. Yet I have absolutely NO ill will towards any user, ESPECIALLY Edward. I'd buy him a beer any day, or if he is like me and abstains from alcohol, any other drink of HIS choice. He's an excellent photographer and I go out of my way to view his images.

Hahaha, I assure you I'm not paranoid. I'm very honored by the compliments though, since I admit I'm sensitive to flattery

Likewise, if you ever visit this not too far part of the world, I will buy you a non alcoholic beverage of your choice!!!

I meant to ask you, do you speak Thai?

I loooove Thai food, but my choices are limited as I'm vegetarian.

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7574

rattymouse wrote:
edwardkaraa wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Exdsc wrote:
edwardkaraa wrote:
It seems this brand [Leica] attracts hatred and hostility for some strange reason...

I think its mostly contempt and mockery, hostility and hatred is reserved for those who shoot with an iPad.

Has anyone in this thread bashed a person? There is a big difference between hating a brand of camera vs hating a person who uses said brand. I find Leica (the company and brand) to be repugnant in an extreme way. Yet I have absolutely NO ill will towards any user, ESPECIALLY Edward. I'd buy him a beer any day, or if he is like me and abstains from alcohol, any other drink of HIS choice. He's an excellent photographer and I go out of my way to view his images.

Hahaha, I assure you I'm not paranoid. I'm very honored by the compliments though, since I admit I'm sensitive to flattery

Likewise, if you ever visit this not too far part of the world, I will buy you a non alcoholic beverage of your choice!!!

I do speak Thai, and read it as well.

So you don't drink, you don't eat meat, and I'm pretty sure you don't smoke. Are you trying to live forever?

The best thing about Thai food is the seafood variety. Even vegetarian dishes have some meat added, usually porc fat, for added taste. I'm afraid you won't find anything to eat around here

rattymouse

edwardkaraa wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
edwardkaraa wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Exdsc wrote:
edwardkaraa wrote:

I do speak Thai, and read it as well.

So you don't drink, you don't eat meat, and I'm pretty sure you don't smoke. Are you trying to live forever?

The best thing about Thai food is the seafood variety. Even vegetarian dishes have some meat added, usually porc fat, for added taste. I'm afraid you won't find anything to eat around here

That's great you can truly integrate into the culture there. Not living forever, but just doing what I can to live long and shoot a lot of images!

I've been to Thailand twice and enjoyed what food I could eat. I had locals to help me but I'm sure some fish oil snuck into some of my dishes.

Anyway, off topic. Enjoy your evening and Sunday.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3760

"Even vegetarian dishes have some meat added, usually porc fat, for added taste. I'm afraid you won't find anything to eat around here"

Oh that's a little disturbing. We were interested in going to Thailand, but it would have to be a meat-free visit.

p.s. I wish the quote button added a "box" around the quoted text here on FM, as I do find it a little difficult to read at times w/o...

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7574

Rattymouse and Richard, indeed it's very difficult to eat true vegetarian Thai food. There are some specialized restaurants, but otherwise, some animal ingredients will inevitably be added. Most vegetarian dishes are cooked in oyster sauce. Fish sauce and pork fat are not uncommon ingredients. On the bright side, there are plenty of Italian, Indian, middle eastern restaurants that offer vegetarian dishes.

If any of you makes it to Bangkok, be sure to let me know

ricardovaste

I'd just be concerned about what effect it my have on my partner more than myself. As I do still eat meat, just very rarely (more to not cause trouble with family, but that's another story). Helena has never eaten meat (nor will!), I've heard your body can have adverse effects if introduced suddenly... And well, we love Indian & Italian, but you don't go to Thailand for them . But good to know of this anyway, so we can at least do some research on specialized restaurants etc beforehand.

Will do!

rattymouse

By mistake once I forgot to reserve vegetarian meals on one of my Chicago to Hong Kong flights. That's 15 hours without food. To make matters worse, I got on the plane with my stomach empty. I broke down and ate a bit of Chicken. That was my first bite of meat in nearly 12 years. It didnt do anything bad to me. I have never heard of any adverse affect of eating meat after abstaining or never eating it for a long time.

And even outside of Thailand, you have certainly had some animal products ingested. They are absolutely impossible to avoid.

ricardovaste

rattymouse: You can read the labels of things and cook fresh. Pretty easy to avoid animal products on a day-to-day basis

rattymouse

ricardovaste wrote:
rattymouse: You can read the labels of things and cook fresh. Pretty easy to avoid animal products on a day-to-day basis

Not everything is labeled. And you dont see the kitchen when you eat out. I assume you never eat out then?

ricardovaste

@rattymouse: Yes, things are very clearly labelled in the UK. There has been a good amount of progression in this area over the past few years, focusing mostly on where food is sourced (eg is it from the UK, is it local, is it sustainable), how it is sourced (eg: is it ethically sourced) and the ingredients (be it actual fat/salt content, or whether it is suitable for people with specific requirements eg: vegetarian, gluten free).

I do occasionally venture out side . Yes, we do eat out as well. Perhaps different for us though, but things like pork fat, fish source, oyster sauce are not common in non Asian-type foods. If we're eating Italian, Spanish, or just something seasonal (meaning vaguely English-French-Italian food) it's very easy to see whether meat is used or not. There are things you're familiar with (eg parmesan) that you just avoid, or ask for something else. It's not difficult, but I can understand how it might be different elsewhere.

I'm pleased a Leica discussion as tilted towards something I have an opinion about for a change, rather than just watches

helimat
Total Posts: 3745

edwardkaraa wrote:
Rattymouse and Richard, indeed it's very difficult to eat true vegetarian Thai food. There are some specialized restaurants, but otherwise, some animal ingredients will inevitably be added. Most vegetarian dishes are cooked in oyster sauce. Fish sauce and pork fat are not uncommon ingredients. On the bright side, there are plenty of Italian, Indian, middle eastern restaurants that offer vegetarian dishes.

If any of you makes it to Bangkok, be sure to let me know

As luck would have it, I am coming over in the New Year. I would appreciate any tips on places to go...

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6080

rattymouse wrote:
By mistake once I forgot to reserve vegetarian meals on one of my Chicago to Hong Kong flights. That's 15 hours without food. To make matters worse, I got on the plane with my stomach empty. I broke down and ate a bit of Chicken. That was my first bite of meat in nearly 12 years. It didnt do anything bad to me. I have never heard of any adverse affect of eating meat after abstaining or never eating it for a long time.

And even outside of Thailand, you have certainly had some animal products ingested. They are absolutely impossible to avoid.

Yeah, my wife was a vegetarian for 20 years, and then starting eating steaks occasionally, especially when she was pregnant, and she had no issues.

There are actually some great vegetarian Thai restaurants all the way out here in Los Angeles.

1       2       3       4      
       end