stranded in nyc, so i took a walk
/forum/topic/1162802/0

weissj
Total Posts: 794

sorry i've been a bit absent.

Photo by josh.weiss, on Flickr

taken in the west village, a day or two after sandy. any and all critiques are welcome.

Bob Jarman
Total Posts: 6118

I like the soft, rich colors, much to observe - just now noticed the broken tree limb at right.

Be safe,

Bob

sbeme
Total Posts: 17186

To me this is an effective capture but does not draw enough interest as a stand-alone image. Of course you probably have a before and after version in your head. I think a stronger comp would have an angle across the street, or a capture with the riders heads turned, looking at the debris. Losing some of the bottom strengthens the draw of the eye to the riders and across to the broken tree on the right.
Hope you were not too severely impacted by the disaster.
Scott

weissj
Total Posts: 794

Thanks for the feedback.

Scott, it's interesting you mention the potential for an angle. I quickly snapped five or six shots as these guys were riding toward me and ended up picking the only one where their bodies were more or less directly upright and perpendicular to the ground. Since it was so impromptu (and they were moving at a brisk pace), it was tough to get any other sort of angle. I got a few shots where they were closer to me and thus larger and capable of drawing more attention, but since I was using a manual focus lens, the bikers were out of focus in the last few shots.

The lighting and colors are what work the most for me here. And it's the sort of image that has extra details to notice after the first glance. I have one other shot worth posting that I'll probably finish working on today. Cheers!

(Also, thanks for the well wishes. I was visiting someone in nyc that weekend and ended up stranded through Thursday. Thankfully we weathered the storm well; better than can be said for many.)