On Camera flash in cooperation with OCF...
/forum/topic/1162431/0



StowePhoto
Registered: Dec 15, 2009
Total Posts: 85
Country: United States

I have posted this question in our Lighting and Studio forum recently as well, but have not really received much.

I am new to the world of OCF, but after seeing many of the beautiful images in this forum was intrigued enough to get my first setup.

I have now: 3 580EXII's, two Cheetah stands. Two softboxes. And a Radio Popper JrX system, with the cubes to control output power from the transmitter.

My question is: If I still want to fire one of the 580EXII's off my camera for fill light, is it possible to do this with this system?

Any insight would be great. Thank you.



teebat
Registered: Jun 17, 2005
Total Posts: 777
Country: United States

Sure you can. Use a threaded pc sync cable and screw it into the 580ex II on your cameras hot shoe and place the JrX on top of the flash, I use a rubber band to hold it in place.

Oh, it's a custom cable . One side is threaded for the pc sync ( it won't pop off that way) and the other is a 1/8 mini plug that goes into the side of the JrX.

Here is the link where I got mine
http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2007/09/sync-cords.html#StartSyncCords

Its the screwlock pc sync to RA mini plug 10 inches long. If you use a bracket then you can attach the JrX to cold shoe mount.


StowePhoto wrote:
I have posted this question in our Lighting and Studio forum recently as well, but have not really received much.

I am new to the world of OCF, but after seeing many of the beautiful images in this forum was intrigued enough to get my first setup.

I have now: 3 580EXII's, two Cheetah stands. Two softboxes. And a Radio Popper JrX system, with the cubes to control output power from the transmitter.

My question is: If I still want to fire one of the 580EXII's off my camera for fill light, is it possible to do this with this system?

Any insight would be great. Thank you.




StowePhoto
Registered: Dec 15, 2009
Total Posts: 85
Country: United States

Thank you teebat. Can you point me in the direction of the bracket you would recommend?



teebat
Registered: Jun 17, 2005
Total Posts: 777
Country: United States

This is what I use. I prefer to rotate the camera instead of the flash so the flashes shoe mount doesn't get messed up and this is a real fast system.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478303-REG/Custom_Brackets_DIGITALPROMK_Digital_PRO_M_Camera_Rotating.html



Chris Beaumont
Registered: Jul 20, 2007
Total Posts: 5021
Country: United Kingdom

Why not just use the master/slave function on the 580s?



RichardLavigne
Registered: Jan 13, 2007
Total Posts: 5335
Country: United States

Chris Beaumont wrote:
Why not just use the master/slave function on the 580s?


I just 'd.... literally.



jcolman
Registered: Feb 21, 2008
Total Posts: 5659
Country: United States

Chris Beaumont wrote:
Why not just use the master/slave function on the 580s?


Because it often does not work, especially outdoors. That's why I went with radio triggers.



Scott Clark
Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Total Posts: 1573
Country: N/A

This was my solution to this kind of thing...







It's a CS transmitter, but the idea would apply to any radio trigger...it's attached to the L bracket with velcro, and just plugged into the sync port which frees up the hot shoe. Also keeps the transmitter out of the way where it could get broken if it was in the shoe. It's a PITA to change channels, but that's never been a problem for me.


StowePhoto
Registered: Dec 15, 2009
Total Posts: 85
Country: United States

And which L Bracket is that?



Scott Clark
Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Total Posts: 1573
Country: N/A

StowePhoto wrote:
And which L Bracket is that?


It's a Kirk bracket...



RichardLavigne
Registered: Jan 13, 2007
Total Posts: 5335
Country: United States

Scott Clark wrote:
This was my solution to this kind of thing...







It's a CS transmitter, but the idea would apply to any radio trigger...it's attached to the L bracket with velcro, and just plugged into the sync port which frees up the hot shoe. Also keeps the transmitter out of the way where it could get broken if it was in the shoe. It's a PITA to change channels, but that's never been a problem for me.


on a mkIIn?


Scott Clark
Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Total Posts: 1573
Country: N/A

RichardLavigne wrote:
Scott Clark wrote:
This was my solution to this kind of thing...







It's a CS transmitter, but the idea would apply to any radio trigger...it's attached to the L bracket with velcro, and just plugged into the sync port which frees up the hot shoe. Also keeps the transmitter out of the way where it could get broken if it was in the shoe. It's a PITA to change channels, but that's never been a problem for me.


on a mkIIn?

1Ds actually...


teebat
Registered: Jun 17, 2005
Total Posts: 777
Country: United States

jcolman wrote:
Chris Beaumont wrote:
Why not just use the master/slave function on the 580s?


Because it often does not work, especially outdoors. That's why I went with radio triggers.


And for me I use a Quantum Qflash for my OCF for the extra power. This way I can control the output from where I am.



RichardLavigne
Registered: Jan 13, 2007
Total Posts: 5335
Country: United States

Scott Clark wrote:
RichardLavigne wrote:
Scott Clark wrote:
This was my solution to this kind of thing...







It's a CS transmitter, but the idea would apply to any radio trigger...it's attached to the L bracket with velcro, and just plugged into the sync port which frees up the hot shoe. Also keeps the transmitter out of the way where it could get broken if it was in the shoe. It's a PITA to change channels, but that's never been a problem for me.


on a mkIIn?

1Ds actually...

Ahhhh.... Nice weapon