External monitor for 1DsIII?
/forum/topic/1160836/0

Jeffrey
Total Posts: 9868

I've been reading about the Small HD DP6, and wonder if it will work with my 1DsIII. Or does it only work with newer cameras that do video?

dswiger
Total Posts: 6541

Jeffrey,
Is this just for tethered shooting?
Have you considered the DSLR controller app for 'droid tablets?
I have used it with a B&N Nook Color & a 5DMkII.
I'll get the links for the "pieces" if your interested

Dan

Psychic1
Total Posts: 4621

Jeffrey
As soon as PQI releases this card it will be in my 1DsIII and talking to my Galaxy S III.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/10/17/PQI-Air-MicroSD-to-SD-adapter-gets-reviewed-by-DCWatch

joakim
Total Posts: 1538

Jeffrey wrote:
I've been reading about the Small HD DP6, and wonder if it will work with my 1DsIII. Or does it only work with newer cameras that do video?

You need a HDMI port on your camera, I assume the 1Ds III doesn't have one.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 21615

I use EOS Utility to control and display LiveView output from my 1DsIII, connected with USB. I figures that any tablet that supports EOS Utility and USB should be able to do the same.

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11997

Psychic1 wrote:
Jeffrey
As soon as PQI releases this card it will be in my 1DsIII and talking to my Galaxy S III.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/10/17/PQI-Air-MicroSD-to-SD-adapter-gets-reviewed-by-DCWatch

I saw that as well and was quite interested as the fixed (and small ) memory size of the eyefi is a drawback . But Apparently it's already out in Japan and is very limited in its use.
From what I have read the pqi won't send files on the fly and you have to have the app open and running all the time it's sending files. And you also have to pick the images to transfer from the app.

If that's the sort of functionality you want then try the AIRSTASH
http://www.airstash.com/#home

I have it and its a great tool. You just plug a standard SD card in and can either pick the images you want to transfer or the whole card. It will also just send the embedded jpeg if you have raw files on the card .(this does slow things down a bit though) . The good thing is I can start a transfer close the case on my iPad and carry on shooting (with a different car in my camera of course) and come go back to the iPad afterwards .
It also works with android as I've done the same with my galaxy s as well .
The added advantage I've found is its the only device I've found so far that allows you to send images from an iPad to the device .

ben egbert
Total Posts: 7056

I have long wanted a remote view system for my 1DS-mk3. The problem is, even hooked to my laptop via the USB cable, the output is grainy just like the LCD. No matter how large I blow up that output it is still pretty useless for focusing.

Psychic1
Total Posts: 4621

Ian
I presently use a mirco adapter sdhc card and drop it into my S III, I want to play with wireless.

Ian.Dobinson

Psychic1 wrote:
Ian
I presently use a mirco adapter sdhc card and drop it into my S III, I want to play with wireless.

Yeah funny enough I use a micro adapter in my 7D .

As I say it does not look like that pqi will give the wireless experience you desire .

The airstash at least does have other uses , stream music and HD video from it to your phone / iPad etc . Works a charm

jcolwell

ben egbert wrote:
I have long wanted a remote view system for my 1DS-mk3. The problem is, even hooked to my laptop via the USB cable, the output is grainy just like the LCD. No matter how large I blow up that output it is still pretty useless for focusing.

Really? I used my 1DsIII and 1DIV tethered to EOS Utility LiveView on my notebook for AF microadjustment with a LensAlign II device. The focus at 100% is clean and clear, and it's easy to see the effect of +/- 1 steps in AFMA settings.

I plan to do AFMA on my 1DX soon. I'll try to take a few example screen shots and post them here.

Jeffrey
Total Posts: 9868

I'm not talking about memory or remote storage or tethering. I mean an external monitor for fine focusing in the field. But, the point about ext devices requiring an HDMI port are probably the deal-breaker. And, I don't think my iPad is a usb compatible device nor will it run EOS utility.

Ian.Dobinson

Jeffrey wrote:
And, I don't think my iPad is a usb compatible device nor will it run EOS utility.

That's correct . As yet. There is no way to get the live view onto the iPad.
It is possible with various Android tablets (and some phones) which may work out a good way to do it.

Of course the new windows 8 tablets that are comming may offer a good alternative as well

ben egbert

jcolwell wrote:
ben egbert wrote:

Really? I used my 1DsIII and 1DIV tethered to EOS Utility LiveView on my notebook for AF microadjustment with a LensAlign II device. The focus at 100% is clean and clear, and it's easy to see the effect of +/- 1 steps in AFMA settings.

I plan to do AFMA on my 1DX soon. I'll try to take a few example screen shots and post them here.

I use a tethered monitor for MA and it works fine because everything is close and large. But when done I often find I need to add a few clicks of MA to get sharp infinity for landscape work.

A tree limb that is one pixel wide is hard to focus no matter how large you blow it up.

ben egbert

Jeffrey wrote:
I'm not talking about memory or remote storage or tethering. I mean an external monitor for fine focusing in the field. But, the point about ext devices requiring an HDMI port are probably the deal-breaker. And, I don't think my iPad is a usb compatible device nor will it run EOS utility.

My problem exactly. I would like to hook to a monitor that had peaking, and I have never found one that does not require HDMI.

jcolwell

Jeffrey wrote:

Yeah. Sorry about the thread deviation. I've been looking at the Small HD and similar on-camera monitors for use with my 1DX and 1DIV, both of which have HDMI. I can't figure a way to get it on my 1DsIII.

dswiger
Total Posts: 6541

Jeffrey wrote:

Jeffrey,
The "tethering" I was talking about was for improved focusing.
The app in the tablet provides about a 3x screen size AND also provides for controlling the camera.

I think it will provide for basically what you want & it's cheap enough

Dan

XsigmaSD
Total Posts: 486

joakim wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

You need a HDMI port on your camera, I assume the 1Ds III doesn't have one.

Not True.
I use a SmallHD DP-6 with my 1DsMkIII, use the composite cable that came with your camera, the "G" input of the RGB input of the monitor is the composite input of the monitor. No, it's not HD resolution, but it definitely helps with focusing in the studio. Great monitor.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18029

Some friends have tried it and didn't think it was worth it. Mainly because the camera composite output does not yield enough resolution for critical focusing.

ben egbert

Fred Miranda wrote:
Some friends have tried it and didn't think it was worth it. Mainly because the camera composite output does not yield enough resolution for critical focusing.

My thoughts exactly. How does a 5d-mk3 do here?