Ball head for Feisol CT-3441T
/forum/topic/1160543/0

kpjsy
Total Posts: 57

I'm looking to purchase a ball head for a Feisol CT-3441T I placed an order on, and have narrowed it down to two:

Photocalm PC-36NS
Markins Q3 Traveler

Was wondering if anyone can chime in to comment. Hopefully someone with a travel tripod (Gitzo, Feisol)

Would be used with a Nikon D700 (no grip) and 24G, 35G, 85G.

runamuck
Total Posts: 7134

This is just me. I would go bigger than the 36. The bigger the ball the better the grip.

gcuff
Total Posts: 299

I have just received this tripod with the 36. So far I love the combination.. Ideal for taller peron. Very lightweight and seems strong enough for 5d iii and 24-105. Will be testing more this weekend.

Geoff

dcains
Total Posts: 7400

runamuck wrote:
This is just me. I would go bigger than the 36. The bigger the ball the better the grip.

Yes, but with a "traveler" tripod, the OP may want to be able to fold the legs back over the ballhead, and there can be clearance issues with larger ballheads (or a head with its knobs not optimally oriented). FWIW, the Markins Q3 (T or not) is the best ballhead in its size/weight class, and not too much more expensive than the PhotoClam equivalent.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33650

I use the Markins Q3 on that tripod. And I agree with Dean's comments.

barryg9999
Total Posts: 12

I just ordered this exact tripod and matched it with a Photo Clam PG-2EPQR Pro Gold II Easy PQR Pro Ballhead. It is a great combination and the head folds in nicely into the tripod when collapsed.

dsjtecserv
Total Posts: 1639

I have an older model of the CT3441 and use it with an Acratech GP-S ball head. Being relatively light and versatile, it is a good match for the "traveler" nature of the CT3441, where weight and compactness are priorities. The legs can fold up over the head, and by orienting the knobs optimally, it folds to nearly as tight a bundle as with the Feisol ball head and other small heads.

Dave

uscmatt99
Total Posts: 338

barryg9999 wrote:
I just ordered this exact tripod and matched it with a Photo Clam PG-2EPQR Pro Gold II Easy PQR Pro Ballhead. It is a great combination and the head folds in nicely into the tripod when collapsed.

I use this excellent combo as well. My Gitzo 3541LS and Photoclam PC-48NS combo doesn't see nearly as much use any more. The Pro Gold line is a step up in refinement from the regular Photoclam ballheads.

mola
Total Posts: 297

Lars Johnsson wrote:

Do you use this tripod with heavy lenses?

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33650

mola wrote:
Lars Johnsson wrote:

Do you use this tripod with heavy lenses?

No, it's my smallest travel tripod. And this tripod is not made for heavy lenses.

mola
Total Posts: 297

Thanks Lars

kpjsy
Total Posts: 57

Thanks everyone. I think the Markins Q3 Traveler is the right ball head for my needs.

dcains
Total Posts: 7400

Good decision - You can't go wrong with what the Markins. If you haven't ever used a ballhead of this quality, you're in for a real treat.