Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013
/forum/topic/1160493/2

1       2      
       end

michaelwatkins
Total Posts: 1688

Hopefully Sigma prices it right, and that the tuning difference offers substantial enough benefit to warrant purchasing one.

If they make it effective enough and cheap enough such that even those with one supported lens are willing to purchase one, then the USB update feature becomes a useful competitive differentiator.

hijazist
Total Posts: 1935

If only it had a red dot, a fancy German name or priced higher I would've bought it and raved about it, but until then that's not happening

michaelwatkins
Total Posts: 1688

Ok, deal. For 500 Euros, payable now, with delivery sometime in the distant future, I'll sell you das Sigma Konfiguration-Basis für die Anpassung der Sigma-Objektive and I'll paint two red dots on it for you at no extra charge.

(I also offer my sincere apologies to the German language)

James R
Total Posts: 5108

Before we all get too excited, wait for this to get in the hands of photographers. We'll see if it really works great, or has flaws, or gives unpredictable results. Conceptually, they processed managed their service department and found a way to reduce service requests by putting adjustments back on the consumer. Nikon and Canon do it by producing lenses to higher build toerlerances and allow for micro adjustment in-camera. Since Sigma can't glum onto the in-camera micro adjustments, it had to do something. Hopefully they continue to improve their build quality. Unfortunately, improvements mean higher prices, which many photogs have an aversion to.

sjms
Total Posts: 18722

oh, it will work and do exactly as it is told to do the biggest "flaw" will be the end user. no it is not designed as a replacement for proper adjustment. it is a customization tool.

Mark_L
Total Posts: 2372

BenV wrote:
to say Nikon won't lose sales to Sigma or other 3rd parties is just crazy. The second people choose to buy the Sigma, Nikon just lost sales. People do know they exist. When they walk into a Bestbuy to purchase their new camera, they have a few 3rd party lenses on display.

Indeed, I bought the 85mm f/1.4 over the nikon version and will buy the 35mm f/1.4 over the nikon version too as have others. The 50mm 1.4 is the same for many.

1       2      
       end