Canon F1n experience...
/forum/topic/1160267/0

2       3       4       5       end

RichardLavigne
Total Posts: 5353

hey all... I've recently come across an F1 in very good condition and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it... I have an A-1 currently that I love and I've always thought the F1 was awesome looking.

John Mills
Total Posts: 376

The best war photojournalism camera ever built. Super tough camera.

Roland W
Total Posts: 1941

They were a work horse way back when. I shot a lot of exposures back in the 70's and 80's with the pair I used, and I still own them. But it has been many years since I used either of them. But if you really want a "classic" film camera that you also use, I would look in to the Canon 1V, and make the F1 a collector item.

Jim McCann
Total Posts: 307

I've still got three of them with motor drives and (most) all the L lenses from the 24 on up to the 500. They went to a lot of cool places all over Alaska and made me a lot of money, but now they sit gathering dust. Rugged cameras that never caused me a single problem.

cineski
Total Posts: 4222

Shock yourselves. Break out the dust gatherers, get a roll of Portra or Gold 400, shoot away and send it to a modern lab for processing and scans. Good stuff.

burningheart
Total Posts: 2456

How often do you use your A1? Do you still have a usable collection of FD lenses?

If you use often and still have a good collection, if the price is right, and you still enjoy the FD line then why not.

I have both the F1 and 1V, but must admit haven't used them much over the past few years. The last rolls I shot were with the F1.

Roger Ramjet
Total Posts: 175

My last FD film bodies were 2 F1n's and 2 T-90's. The F1n is capable of anything you need to do and is the most maintainable body of the FD series. I replaced seals, gaskets and mirror foam and it was way easier on those than on the T-90's or A1.

Dick Snyder
Total Posts: 1749

Sweetest shutter sound I have ever heard.

Chris Tylko
Total Posts: 837

Best body I ever held

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3533

The F1n was a workhorse of a camera, had a 1V long ago as well, both amazing, sold both in their day for other bodies. Kept an A-1 and T-90 and still shoot Velvia with them; I've too many nFD lenses. Have 2 EOS-3s as well, luv the ECF.

Any flavor of an F1 would be fantastic, it's a heavy beautiful beast, do enjoy it if you take the plunge
The website below has tons of info on the older MF Canon bodies, lenses and accessories, a link to their F1 page is below!
Jerry

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1n/index.htm

Tom Dix
Total Posts: 1689

Great camera; had one years ago. Enjoy the ride. Outstanding body.

RichardLavigne

Jim McCann wrote:
I've still got three of them with motor drives and (most) all the L lenses from the 24 on up to the 500. They went to a lot of cool places all over Alaska and made me a lot of money, but now they sit gathering dust. Rugged cameras that never caused me a single problem.

The one I'm looking at is supposed to be in very good condition with motor drive.

burningheart wrote:
How often do you use your A1? Do you still have a usable collection of FD lenses?

If you use often and still have a good collection, if the price is right, and you still enjoy the FD line then why not.

I have both the F1 and 1V, but must admit haven't used them much over the past few years. The last rolls I shot were with the F1.

I use my A-1 every few weeks to shoot personal stuff and have an OK collection of FD lenses. I have the FD 85L and 50L, a Rokkinon 24 f/2.8, and a tamron 35-70 f/2.8. I also have an EOS 3 that I shoot regularly with my EF lenses. The price on the F1 is a little high but it comes with the motor drive and supposedly is in very good condition.

Tom Dix wrote:
Great camera; had one years ago. Enjoy the ride. Outstanding body.

Thanks Tom

and thanks to everyone else who took the time to read and post....

brucemuir
Total Posts: 3316

John Mills wrote:

Many Nikon F shooters may disagree

My guess is they probably are neck and neck (don't own any manual Canon)

RichardLavigne

brucemuir wrote:
John Mills wrote:

Many Nikon F shooters may disagree

My guess is they probably are neck and neck (don't own any manual Canon)

Yes.. from what I've read it is basically a dead heat....

I have a feeling that in 20 years we'll look back at the 1Dx and D4 and say basically the same thing.

anthonygh
Total Posts: 1848

Buy and try....if you don't like it you will find many that do......think of it as a hire cost if not a potential profit!

racoll
Total Posts: 3011

All of the F-1 models are outstanding cameras. You will enjoy using the F-1n. It's a very tough camera with an amazingly accurate meter that, with a good lens, will deliver wonderful results. I've had all of the FD bodies and while the A-1 is a nice camera (it took a long time for the A-1 to grow on me, but it finally did...), the F-1 just feels better in use to me, and the shutter sounds awesome! As Roland W alluded to though, if you want the ultimate Canon film camera experience, and one of the best Canon camera experiences period, do look into the 1v. I'm still impressed by that camera! In the meantime, enjoy the F-1. It's pretty awesome and rather addictive!

Andy

PatrickSweeney
Total Posts: 403

did a lot of work with a pair of Fin's and motor drives.

One thing I can tell you is, if you clonk a would-be mugger upside the head with a motordrive-equipped F1n, it drops him like a bad habit.

And still works fine.

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6665

You say it's a bit overpriced -- how much?

The motor drive is nice, but it makes that body into an ungainly monster. There used to be a lighter weight winder with grip that was better unless you need blistering speed.

I started my photo career with an A-1 as my first camera, and owned an F1n a bit later. Nice cameras, but I still think the T90 was the better FD for technology.

I recently bought a EOS 1N with the Power Booster grip, for a ridiculously low price (under $200). Like your EOS 3, I can use all my EF lenses and get better metering than any FD body ever had, including the F1n. I currently have an AE-1 Program, T90 and the EOS 1N for 35mm film cameras, and prefer the 1N.

If you just want it as part of a collection, get it. But for a user, I think you should look around on eBay and Craigs List and get an EOS 1, 1N or 1V and get the most out of your film experience. Canon still services the 1V.

If you do decide to get an F1n, check around more. You can get some really good prices if you are patient and keep looking.

Best of luck on the hunt!

RichardLavigne

Gunzorro wrote:
You say it's a bit overpriced -- how much?

The motor drive is nice, but it makes that body into an ungainly monster. There used to be a lighter weight winder with grip that was better unless you need blistering speed.

I started my photo career with an A-1 as my first camera, and owned an F1n a bit later. Nice cameras, but I still think the T90 was the better FD for technology.

I recently bought a EOS 1N with the Power Booster grip, for a ridiculously low price (under $200). Like your EOS 3, I can use all my EF lenses and get better metering than any FD body ever had, including the F1n. I currently have an AE-1 Program, T90 and the EOS 1N for 35mm film cameras, and prefer the 1N.

If you just want it as part of a collection, get it. But for a user, I think you should look around on eBay and Craigs List and get an EOS 1, 1N or 1V and get the most out of your film experience. Canon still services the 1V.

If you do decide to get an F1n, check around more. You can get some really good prices if you are patient and keep looking.

Best of luck on the hunt!

Didn't mean to give the impression that it was overpriced... just that it was high... a little higher than I was initially looking to spend. It is in mint condition though. It should be here on this coming week and I'll let you all have a look then.

RichardLavigne

I cannot wait for it to get here so I can hear this shutter sound and experience the pellicle mirror... I've heard that the pellicle mirror decreases the light transmission by a 1/3 of a stop or so and someone said I would need to factor that in, but shouldn't the meter account for that?

2       3       4       5       end