W I D E Seamless needed- Can you place two together?
/forum/topic/1159974/0

Lance_K
Total Posts: 1567

I need to shoot an object that has a 16 foot wingspan on white seamless. Is it possible to layer two 11.6 foot seamless together to make the background wider?

How would you do that? C stands with Arms or something? I think i can see it done in my mind but wanted to check first.

hugowolf
Total Posts: 586

Lance_K wrote:
I need to shoot an object that has a 16 foot wingspan on white seamless. Is it possible to layer two 11.6 foot seamless together to make the background wider?

How would you do that? C stands with Arms or something? I think i can see it done in my mind but wanted to check first.

I did something a couple of years ago with two rolls of seamless white, I think I had a gap of a couple of inches and just fixed it in post porcessing.
Brian A

cordellwillis
Total Posts: 5080

Depending on the subject you may want to also use white tape to cover the seam as much as possible. Even masking tape is better than no tape to cover the gap. This can help when it comes to post processing because the gap will be closed (less noticeable) just a little more.

eSchwab
Total Posts: 2417

It's going to be hard because of the way that you support it. There will be a gap in the middle unless you find a way to clamp the whole roll at one end where it overlaps. Otherwise there will be a gap where your pipe comes out the end and needs to be supported.

_Rob_S_
Total Posts: 1205

Can you run the seamless sideways? If you then need more height, you could tape two or more together with the seams running horizontal. In any event, you will likely have some cleanup in post to deal with...

Rob

PeterBerressem
Total Posts: 729

It may be easier to support a super wide white muslin, if this is an option.
www.rosebrand.com/fabric-stage-curtains-backdrops/muslin.aspx?sid=yPl6T6nZ8XB2la4T%2bCs7v%2bxyOVzESwuXA9pw61TKOFiTR%2bce2vCIDA%3d%3d
You can support a long 2x4 wooden beam unnoticed by a stand midway....

BrianO
Total Posts: 8526

Lance_K wrote: I need to shoot an object that has a 16 foot wingspan on white seamless. Is it possible to layer two 11.6 foot seamless together to make the background wider?

I've done this using three rolls: two to each side and one filling the gap in the middle. The front roll was slightly lower than the other two, with a support bar longer than the roll going all the way to the sides of the BG. Two rolls would be even easier.

Shallow depth of field hid the edges, but a healing brush in Photoshop could do the same if you need deeper DoF.

BrianO
Total Posts: 8526

Another option would be to simply cut off from the roll(s) the lengths you need, and tack the resulting sheets -- slightly overlapping -- to a wall (or a length of 1X12 supported at the ends if you need a free-standing BG.)

Paper's (relatively) cheap, so if you don't absolutely need to reuse it, this would be the easiest way.

jeremymeier
Total Posts: 100

You may be able to find a studio in your area with a cyc wall that you could rent for an hour or so for not too much money... We have a place you could easily shoot a school bus in for $400. Per day, so hourly might be worth it...