#524 Whoa
/forum/topic/1159061/0



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5082
Country: United States

Weekly Assignment 524: Fire hydrants... A local Leathercrafting / Cordwain, burnt down recently... Part of the canopy had the word "whoa" painted on it with an arrow pointing down... I tried to incorporate these into the image... Thank you



kevinsullivan
Registered: Dec 07, 2005
Total Posts: 1696
Country: United States

Nice bold colors and perspective. I wonder if you could perhaps clone out the AC unit and power pole/lines.



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5082
Country: United States

kevinsullivan wrote:
Nice bold colors and perspective. I wonder if you could perhaps clone out the AC unit and power pole/lines.


Thanks Kevin... I will try some cloning...



robertjm
Registered: Mar 21, 2002
Total Posts: 725
Country: United States

Looks so nice and brightly painted. Did they do that AFTER the building burnt?

Any idea what "whoa" was referring to? Normally, I think of horses, but I've never actually seen it written on a building...usually stop or slow down.

Like the angle on this. You keep the environment, yet it's obviously about the hydrant.



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5082
Country: United States

robertjm wrote:
Looks so nice and brightly painted. Did they do that AFTER the building burnt?

Any idea what "whoa" was referring to? Normally, I think of horses, but I've never actually seen it written on a building...usually stop or slow down.

Like the angle on this. You keep the environment, yet it's obviously about the hydrant.


The city repainted all hydrants this summer.. The original owners / occupants custom made saddles, bridals, horse stuff, as well as boots, belts, etc... They had a large plastic horse that sat under the "Whoa" to display some of their merchandise... Thank you for the kind words... To get this angle I had to lay in the gutter with my tripod at ground level... I would have preferred a nicer sky but in SW Texas monochrome blue is what you usually get... Thank God there was a little fog rising off a nearby water source to create some contrast... Again, thank you, Jim



Rick Joyce
Registered: Sep 05, 2003
Total Posts: 6030
Country: Canada

Congratulations on your first place !



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5082
Country: United States

Rick Joyce wrote:
Congratulations on your first place !


Thank you Rick... That is very kind of you... Jim



medialee
Registered: Nov 16, 2012
Total Posts: 2
Country: United States

I'm not too big on HDR but I really like the mood of this piece. Almost feels like it's dated older than it is. The fog ambiance in the far background really accentuate the mood. Great job!



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5082
Country: United States

medialee wrote:
I'm not too big on HDR but I really like the mood of this piece. Almost feels like it's dated older than it is. The fog ambiance in the far background really accentuate the mood. Great job!


Thank you very much, Jim



robertjm
Registered: Mar 21, 2002
Total Posts: 725
Country: United States

This was HDR? Very well done then because the colors were not totally overblown, which I sadly find in any HDR photos. In this case, it accentuated the colors nicely.

Robert

e:
I'm not too big on HDR but I really like the mood of this piece. Almost feels like it's dated older than it is. The fog ambiance in the far background really accentuate the mood. Great job!



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5082
Country: United States

robertjm wrote:
This was HDR? Very well done then because the colors were not totally overblown, which I sadly find in any HDR photos. In this case, it accentuated the colors nicely.

Robert

e:
I'm not too big on HDR but I really like the mood of this piece. Almost feels like it's dated older than it is. The fog ambiance in the far background really accentuate the mood. Great job!



Technique is not HDR but everybody keeps saying it is. The difference is, I processed one image in LR4, Nik Color Efex Pro, and CS5 to get the desired results. This is a "Style / technique" I have been working on for years and is acquired through contrast, sharpening, blurring, and Saturation via exposure / gamma. I refer to it as "Hyper - realism". For another example please see the weekly assignment "Mirror Image".. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1166724
Thank you so much for your comments. Jim