Whoa
/forum/topic/1158827/0



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

Weekly Assignment 524: Fire hydrants... A local Leathercrafting / Cordwain, burnt down recently... Part of the canopy had the word "whoa" painted on it with an arrow pointing down... I tried to incorporate these into the image... Not sure this will be entered but wanted to get your opinions as to ways of improving composition, &PP... Thank you for taking a look... Jim

Image 2 is after adjusting as suggested...



RustyBug
Registered: Feb 02, 2009
Total Posts: 13250
Country: United States

Jim,

I like it.

I might crop some off the bottom (just above your watermark) to strengthen the hydrant in the comp a bit. Diggin' the arrow and an interesting bg beyond the hydrant alone.



AuntiPode
Registered: Aug 05, 2008
Total Posts: 6945
Country: New Zealand

Consider for the subject, the hydrant is perhaps too similar in brightness and contrast to pop from the background. I'd suggest selecting the hydrant and background separately and using exposure and gamma changes to give the hydrant better separation. Also a little selective layered blur for the background to simulate a wider taking aperture may help. A wee bit of sky retouching between the wires in the lower left sky would also be a plus. A tighter crop would also enhance the subject.



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

RustyBug wrote:
Jim,

I like it.

I might crop some off the bottom (just above your watermark) to strengthen the hydrant in the comp a bit. Diggin' the arrow and an interesting bg beyond the hydrant alone.


Thanks Kent... I will play with some crops and see how they work...



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

AuntiPode wrote:
Consider for the subject, the hydrant is perhaps too similar in brightness and contrast to pop from the background. I'd suggest selecting the hydrant and background separately and using exposure and gamma changes to give the hydrant better separation. Also a little selective layered blur for the background to simulate a wider taking aperture may help. A wee bit of sky retouching between the wires in the lower left sky would also be a plus. A tighter crop would also enhance the subject.



Thank you Karen... I have seldom used gamma's but I will see how it works... I like what you did... I had applied a 5 pixel blur on the sky, but I will certainly try more... Jim



sbeme
Registered: Dec 23, 2003
Total Posts: 17714
Country: United States

Good find. Should be a good entry into WA.
I agree with a bit more blur of the background.
I am not sure about further efforts to produce separation of the hydrant from the background. Both the brightness and sharpness are making it feel almost cut and pasted it to my eye, less than natural. On the other hand, it certainly makes a stronger statement.
My 2 cents.
Scott



RustyBug
Registered: Feb 02, 2009
Total Posts: 13250
Country: United States

+1 @ "cut & paste" look if you go too much separation. I think your second one is right on that threshold, but the bold "WHOA" helps hold it in place. Could dial it back a touch (maybe feather/fade the mask some), or leave it as is ... either way, you've strengthened it from the original.



ben egbert
Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Total Posts: 6826
Country: United States

oldrattler wrote:
Weekly Assignment 524: Fire hydrants... A local Leathercrafting / Cordwain, burnt down recently... Part of the canopy had the word "whoa" painted on it with an arrow pointing down... I tried to incorporate these into the image... Not sure this will be entered but wanted to get your opinions as to ways of improving composition, &PP... Thank you for taking a look... Jim

Image 2 is after adjusting as suggested...


Image 2 is much better.



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

sbeme wrote:
Good find. Should be a good entry into WA.
I agree with a bit more blur of the background.
I am not sure about further efforts to produce separation of the hydrant from the background. Both the brightness and sharpness are making it feel almost cut and pasted it to my eye, less than natural. On the other hand, it certainly makes a stronger statement.
My 2 cents.
Scott


Thank you Scott. I am going to reduce vibrace and enter the second image... Jim



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ "cut & paste" look if you go too much separation. I think your second one is right on that threshold, but the bold "WHOA" helps hold it in place. Could dial it back a touch (maybe feather/fade the mask some), or leave it as is ... either way, you've strengthened it from the original.


Thanks Kent... Maybe a reduction in vibrance or a overall 5 pixel blur would tone it down... Jim



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

ben egbert wrote:
oldrattler wrote:
Weekly Assignment 524: Fire hydrants... A local Leathercrafting / Cordwain, burnt down recently... Part of the canopy had the word "whoa" painted on it with an arrow pointing down... I tried to incorporate these into the image... Not sure this will be entered but wanted to get your opinions as to ways of improving composition, &PP... Thank you for taking a look... Jim

Image 2 is after adjusting as suggested...


Image 2 is much better.



Thanks Ben; I have been returning to this location for almost a year trying for "An image"... Finally found it... Jim



robertjm
Registered: Mar 21, 2002
Total Posts: 725
Country: United States

I actually like #1 best. That's the one you eventually submitted, right? Had the hydrant been the only major part of the subject, the narrower vertical crop might work. Since the building NOT saved by the hydrant is part of the story (at least to me), it's important not to diminish it.



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

robertjm wrote:
I actually like #1 best. That's the one you eventually submitted, right? Had the hydrant been the only major part of the subject, the narrower vertical crop might work. Since the building NOT saved by the hydrant is part of the story (at least to me), it's important not to diminish it.


I agree, but compositionally the crop was better for the weekly assignment, fire hydrants... I felt from a documentary photo style the building expanded the story... For the assignment I felt the main focus had to be the hydrant... Thanks for the comments... Jim



RustyBug
Registered: Feb 02, 2009
Total Posts: 13250
Country: United States

Congratulations on the win !!!



sbeme
Registered: Dec 23, 2003
Total Posts: 17714
Country: United States

RustyBug wrote:
Congratulations on the win !!!

Yay!!!
Scott



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

RustyBug wrote:
Congratulations on the win !!!



Thanks Kent...



oldrattler
Registered: Aug 04, 2009
Total Posts: 5167
Country: United States

sbeme wrote:
RustyBug wrote:
Congratulations on the win !!!

Yay!!!
Scott


Thank you Scott