Drobo 5D
/forum/topic/1158551/2

1       2      
       end

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

No you don't need to start a new thread. But I can't really see a person that have the OS 10.6.8 and needing the 10,7 or later. Instead of upgrading it will buy the Synology 1812+, when he says he really like to get exactly that new Drobo. About every other Drobo works with his OS also. And it's not like he gonna keep that older version for the rest of his life. Sooner or later he will upgrade it even if he buy a Synology 1812+

chez
Total Posts: 8084

tived wrote:
Lars,

Who can not use a Drobo, Alan123 mentioned that he could not use one, due to the OSX version he was using. So I mention Synology as an Alternative - should i have started a new thread for Alan?

If you like Drobo thats good for you, my limited experience have not been so good.

you can go to www.synology.com for options

All the best

Henrik

Can someone list the basic differences between a Drobo system and sinology. I currently use the older 4 bay Drobo but it is frustratingly slow and I want to upgrade to something faster. It was very easy to setup, but I'll trade easy for speed. Pros and cons of each would be nice. Thanks

Lars Johnsson

But you are using the slowest Drobo. The more recent Drobo's are a lot faster with e-Sata, USB 3 & Thunderbolt connections.
The more new Drobo's are also a lot better to use than the older 4 bay unit. Your older Drobo don't even have a on-off button or Dual Disk Redundancy

chez

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But you are using the slowest Drobo. The more recent Drobo's are a lot faster with e-Sata, USB 3 & Thunderbolt connections.
The more new Drobo's are also a lot better to use than the older 4 bay unit. Your older Drobo don't even have a on-off button or Dual Disk Redundancy

Lars, yes I know it is an older slow model...that is why I am going to upgrade. Before dropping $800 on the latest Drobo, I would appreciate the differences between a Drobo and a synology solution, especially from someone who has experience with both. I just don't want to blindly go with Drobo if there are better solutions out there.

Have you used the Synology systems?

Lars Johnsson

No I have not. But I'm sure they work very good also. And you don't have to buy the latest and most expensive Drobo to get a huge increase in speed. The Drobo's with e-Sata/USB 3 connections are also fast.
it would be very convenient for you to use two Drobo's instead of two different brands and systems. Your old Drobo would be perfect when doing backup on a new Drobo. And the same software also

chez

Lars Johnsson wrote:
No I have not. But I'm sure they work very good also. And you don't have to buy the latest and most expensive Drobo to get a huge increase in speed. The Drobo's with e-Sata connections are also fast.
it would be very convenient for you to use two Drobo's instead of two different brands and systems. Your old Drobo would be perfect when doing backup on a new Drobo. And the same software also

Yes, you make a good point regarding using the older unit for backing up a new unit. Thanks for your views.

1       2      
       end