Shooting in the Rain
/forum/topic/1158165/1

end

jvincenc76
Total Posts: 15

I just bought this on ebay for 9$ I think it is much better than a plastic bag, but I didn't have a chance to test it. Plastic bags are fine, and I will always cary one in case of a rain, but when I go out and I know it's going to rain, I will take the raincoat. It fits my 5DII with 70-200m F2.8 nonIS - you can see it in my gallery http://vincenc.zenfolio.com/p861367883

goobers
Total Posts: 63

jvincenc76 - i would love to hear your feedback after you've had a chance to test it. i like that the bottom can be zippered up. Is there a hole where you can attach the cover to the eyepiece?

photo1a
Total Posts: 480

dsjtecserv wrote:
I have been very happy with a Fotosharp rain cover: http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html. They are made of silnylon and are extremely lightweight and stuff into a pack like a rag, yet set up for use quickly. The design allows for versatile application; the velcro-closed slot on the bottom allows it to be easily used hand held or set up on a tripod without compromising the protection. I was initially hesitant about the semi-opaque fabric making it difficult to see settings on the camera, but this has turned out to be mostly a non-issue. And on advantage has been that I can use it is a free, and very effective, flash diffuser: just use it over the camera and flash. It works great for macro flash shots!

I'd recommend getting a larger size they they cite as the minimum for a given lens combination. The larger volume is less constraining and provides more flexibility in use, and it really has not down side.

Dave

I just received the larger size Fotosharp rain cover. I have not tested it in rain yet, but I like the design and the material. It appears to be very functional for foggy/wet weather.

dsjtecserv
Total Posts: 1544

photo1a wrote:
dsjtecserv wrote:
I have been very happy with a Fotosharp rain cover: http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html. They are made of silnylon and are extremely lightweight and stuff into a pack like a rag, yet set up for use quickly. The design allows for versatile application; the velcro-closed slot on the bottom allows it to be easily used hand held or set up on a tripod without compromising the protection. I was initially hesitant about the semi-opaque fabric making it difficult to see settings on the camera, but this has turned out to be mostly a non-issue. And on advantage has been that I can use it is a free, and very effective, flash diffuser: just use it over the camera and flash. It works great for macro flash shots!

I'd recommend getting a larger size they they cite as the minimum for a given lens combination. The larger volume is less constraining and provides more flexibility in use, and it really has not down side.

Dave

I just received the larger size Fotosharp rain cover. I have not tested it in rain yet, but I like the design and the material. It appears to be very functional for foggy/wet weather.

I think you'll like it. I just used mine during the height of Sandy. While with wet hands, and opening the back to see the screen inevitably lets in a small amount of moisture, it was more than sufficient to protect the camera from real harm during an hour of handheld shooting.

Dave

James Ramsey
Total Posts: 40

Here's one for $5.97 on ebay free shipping..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380314698459?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

james.d53
Total Posts: 291

It really depends on the body and lenses whether you should worry about the rain. I have professional equipment (Nikon) and wouldn't hesitate to take it out in the rain if needed, but I just don't like to spend the time it takes to dry everything off when I get done. I do have some Optech Rain Sleeves and they work just fine.

Paulthelefty
Total Posts: 582

Great thread. Interesting that the vortex is listed as "water-resistant," where others are listed as "waterproof."

I am really intrigued by the Fotosharp cover. I like the white "see through" for shooting sports, but I can see wanting a camo one also for shooting wildlife. It also seems to be lightweight enough to manipulate controls and dials through the cover... A most interesting thought while shooting football in the rain, making adjustments without having to open up a cover with wet hands or gloves...

Of course, for the prices they are asking, I can afford both a white and camo version for less than the price of one thinktank hydrophobia.

I think I better go edit my Christmas list!

Paul

Glenn NK
Total Posts: 487

Admittedly this one is expensive. We don't get as much rain as the OP, but if I only went out on rainless days in the winter, I'd be indoors too much.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316856-REG/Kata_KT_E_702_E_702_GDC_Elements_Cover.html

It's a very well designed and made cover, and it is waterproof (as opposed to water resistant) - well don't drop the camera into the ocean.

I've used mine in a downpour - the problem was me getting soaked.

Oh, oh, just noticed - no longer available from B&H. But I think Kata still makes them.

http://www.kata-bags.com/e-702-pl-for-dslr-with-up-to-70-200-lens

Glenn

Wickedfn4u
Total Posts: 2619

I have both the Think Tank Hydorphobias and love them. Doing sports you have no choice if it is raining. I am amazed to see people with a few thousand dollars worth of gear and they are using tape and plastic bags. I have had the TT H for a couple years and they just keep going. Like anything invest in good equipment and it last. Just dry it out and pack it up. The ergonomics are great and it works super. if you plan to keep your gear get something that last.

qburke
Total Posts: 92

+1 for OpTech. I bought a 3 pack on Amazon on a kind of impulse buy in July. Last week I shot a wedding in Seaside, Oregon in a beach house. It was a typical rainy/windy Oregon coast kind of day - but the bride and groom really wanted photos on the beach. I thanked God I had bought these four months earlier, and it worked great! I was completely soaked, but my camera/lens stayed perfectly dry.

Tareq
Total Posts: 405

I posted this question in 2 or 3 sites, and the answers as always are vary, no one specific brand, i got 2 or 3 brands highly recommended, so it is like why did i ask the question first place.

Well, i may go with 2 brands instead of one to see which one is better, and i may sell the one i don't like much, but dumping that money is not a wise move anyway.

runamuck
Total Posts: 6900

Sometimes you just gotta quit and take cover. I was caught in a gully-washer a couple years ago. I pulled out my 42 gallon plastic garbage bag. I and my camera gear stayed dry sitting on a park bench, waiting for the deluge to end.

Savas K
Total Posts: 4253

I keep an Optech rain sleeve around for just in case.

anthonysemone
Total Posts: 4495

Olympus OM-D w/ kit 12-50?

anthonysemone

and again

anthonysemone

As I posted here (I think) earlier, OM-D got wet, my wife and I pulled into a brasserie, wiped off the OM-D with a napkin, and we were good to go

end