Sell my contax N50 and buy the 50L?
/forum/topic/1155403/0

jaehoppa
Total Posts: 1286

Hi guys
i currently have a conurus converted contax n50 and i am using it on my 5d3.
i'm debating whether to sell it and buy the canon 50L. I'm going to be shooting some videos and i find the focus ring on the n50 not suitable.
I'm going to take more pictures than video so image quality is also very important.
How do these two lenses compare optically?
If you were only going to shoot still photos which lens would you pick?
Thanks in advance.

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7205

Do you like focus shift?

carstenw
Total Posts: 15285

I cannot imagine that the 50L would have a better focus ring. What about getting an older FD or something?

jaehoppa
Total Posts: 1286

Yeah maybe i should get a ZE version or something and keep the n50

AhamB
Total Posts: 4961

You could also get the Contax Planar 50/1.4 for video. It's about half the price of the ZE, I think, but very close in performance (slightly sharper in the center but a bit less sharp outside of it at wide apertures). You can also de-click the Contax (making changing the aperture completely silent), which isn't possible with the 50L.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3461

wait for the new 55/1.4?

sebboh
Total Posts: 10196

yeah, 50L ring isn't great for manual focusing either. i'd just pick up a contax 50/1.4 or maybe a pentax takumar 50/1.4 for smooth focusing (and great performance) and take out the aperture stop for clickless control of aperture.

LightShow
Total Posts: 4965

Rent or borrow the 50L befor you sell your N.
To be honest, the Rokkor MC PG 58/1.2 is my favorite normal,
The only thing is that infinity will be an issue, you may be able to file the retaining ring enough to get there.

plasticmotif
Total Posts: 845

I've shot with nearly every fast 50 adaptable to FF Canons.

If you're doing video and image quality is a concern, I'd put the ZE 50 Makro to the top of your list. If it's not fast enough the Rokkor 58 1.2 is an astounding lens.

I'd recommend the C/Y 50 1.4 or 1.7. Both are great little lenses. There are some other noteworthy Russian lenses as well as the Super Tak but, I've mentioned my favorites!

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7205

AhamB wrote:
You could also get the Contax Planar 50/1.4 for video. It's about half the price of the ZE, I think, but very close in performance (slightly sharper in the center but a bit less sharp outside of it at wide apertures). You can also de-click the Contax (making changing the aperture completely silent), which isn't possible with the 50L.

The Contax has much less veiling haze wide open too.