21mm - 28mm range: Noteworthy lenses
/forum/topic/1155310/1

1      
2
       3       4       end

bluetsunami
Registered: Sep 03, 2008
Total Posts: 1151
Country: United States

Here's an example of the Nikkor 28mm f/2 on an overcast day stopped down to f/4 I believe...







Has nice contrast, sharpness and color

Another with midday light...







Once again, that color

But If I had the funds I would definitely be working with any of the Zeiss 28mm lenses


wfrank
Registered: Feb 09, 2011
Total Posts: 2972
Country: Sweden

aleksanderpolo wrote:
The Hollywood has a very beautiful way of drawing


I've heard the CY 28/2 is a no-go for the 5D2 (and 5D3/5DC I assume). Please tell me I am wrong.



carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15973
Country: Germany

Krosavcheg wrote:
I am vignetting junkie... lol
And drawing style for me wins over curvature.
There should be ZF of it? Or perhaps CY would be wiser, as I plan to get a mirrorless some time later?


Yes, mine is a ZF.2. The photo which I just couldn't get out my mind, and which ultimately led me to buy it (along with some other great shots by Cyra) was by Hrannar:







Peire
Registered: Apr 27, 2010
Total Posts: 1379
Country: Poland

Hi Dimitri,

This is the list of my recommended lenses in the range 21-28mm with examples:

Z Distagon 21/2.8





Z Distagon 25/2.8





Z Distagon 28/2






C/Y Distagon 25/28





C/Y Distagon 28/2.8






G Biogon 28/2.8





Zuiko 21/3.5





Zuiko 24/2.8






Minolta MC W Rokkor SI 24/2.8





Minolta MC W Rokkor 28/2






Sigma Super Wide II macro 24/2.8






Yashica ML 28/2.8






RMC II Tokina 24/2.8





RMC Tokina II 28/2.8






Tokinas,Sigma and Yashica are not as good as the rest,but cheap and decent IQ wise once stopped down 2 f stops.

Just my 2 cents


Krosavcheg
Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Total Posts: 2715
Country: Japan

Crazy photos! Absolutely love those.

Frank: 5DMk3 got a smaller mirror compared to 5DMk2 afaik at 0.45mm. No clearance issues on CY35/1.4 and 35-70/3.4, even 45/2.8 nearly clears and only hangs at infinity.

Heannar's photos are inspiring indeed. I still can't get most of his Zuiko 18/3.5 out of my head!!

Well, I got ZE21/2.8 already. It's great for landscape and at infinity, but it's close up performance isn't much to write home about in terms of bokeh (naturally).

28/2.8 Nikkor sounds like a great lens and so does zeiss 28/2. Just wish I could test Oly 28/2 soonest.

Peire: amazing shots. Disturbingly, I haven't been able to match your 21/2.8 result in terms of PP. back to school for me...



Krosavcheg
Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Total Posts: 2715
Country: Japan

carstenw wrote:
Krosavcheg wrote:
I am vignetting junkie... lol
And drawing style for me wins over curvature.
There should be ZF of it? Or perhaps CY would be wiser, as I plan to get a mirrorless some time later?


Yes, mine is a ZF.2. The photo which I just couldn't get out my mind, and which ultimately led me to buy it (along with some other great shots by Cyra) was by Hrannar:







Carsten, do you know if there are ZF1 out there?


Peire
Registered: Apr 27, 2010
Total Posts: 1379
Country: Poland

Krosavcheg wrote:

Peire: amazing shots. Disturbingly, I haven't been able to match your 21/2.8 result in terms of PP. back to school for me...


Thank you Dimitri.Forgot to add Zuiko 28/3.5 and SMC Pentax M 28/3.5.Very good lenses with the latter being better overall.

BTW: my PP techniques are very basic with no frills-I'm sure you know all that.



redisburning
Registered: Jul 16, 2011
Total Posts: 1094
Country: United States

cliff notes on MY Zuiko 28mm f2 late MC

not great at f2. near range bokeh is typical late zuiko (ie funky). f4 is fantastic.

it's a good option if you don't want to spend up to the Zeiss Hollywood.



wfrank
Registered: Feb 09, 2011
Total Posts: 2972
Country: Sweden

Krosavcheg wrote:
Frank: 5DMk3 got a smaller mirror compared to 5DMk2 afaik at 0.45mm. No clearance issues on CY35/1.4 and 35-70/3.4, even 45/2.8 nearly clears and only hangs at infinity.


Good to hear. I am surprised to hear about the 45 Tessar, I though it was impossible. Just be careful so it's not the glass the mirror hits. It's a neat little lens!

If you want the unusual mix of top quality and cheap you can always get the CY 28/2.8 which is almost a steal still. Dont have that many digital shots yet as it is currently glued on a Contax S2 so I apologize for those that have already seen these:

CY28/2.8

IMG_0679 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr


IMG_0775 1024w II by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr



carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15973
Country: Germany

Krosavcheg wrote:
carstenw wrote:
Krosavcheg wrote:
I am vignetting junkie... lol
And drawing style for me wins over curvature.
There should be ZF of it? Or perhaps CY would be wiser, as I plan to get a mirrorless some time later?


Yes, mine is a ZF.2. The photo which I just couldn't get out my mind, and which ultimately led me to buy it (along with some other great shots by Cyra) was by Hrannar:







Carsten, do you know if there are ZF1 out there?

I don't know, sorry. I don't think I have ever seen one.


freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5854
Country: United States

carstenw wrote:
Krosavcheg wrote:
Carsten, do you know if there are ZF1 out there?


I don't know, sorry. I don't think I have ever seen one.


There is. My copy was a ZF1. It was cheap, too. I think I picked it up for $700 or so. That's one I wish I had held on to when I made the switch to Sony, and one I'm debating picking up again to go in a two lens kit if the 135/2 is what I'm hoping it will be.

Another lens that belongs on this list is the Elmarit-R 28/2.8 vII. Very impressive, very high resolution lens. It's probably a better all-around lens than the Zeiss, but it's slower (f/2 is very usable on the Zeiss) and the Zeiss can produce eye-popping visuals with the right light (as evidenced above).



Edgars Kalnins
Registered: Mar 09, 2007
Total Posts: 708
Country: Latvia

I was well impressed with Olympus 24/2.8 MC today. It can be bought well below 100 these days. I remember 16-9 had some good words to say about it too.



Krosavcheg
Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Total Posts: 2715
Country: Japan

Just found ZF1 for auction in Japan, but I think one of the shops got them on the shelve for about $700. Going there tomorrow to have a look.

Haven't found any Series II Leica 28/2.8 sadly - all copies for sale here have serial under 300.000.
Zuiko 24/2.8 is also available, but for a little more than I would like.
Here is 16-9 hall of fame for 28mm:
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/best28mm.html

Perhaps I should just stick to OM 28/2 then? Really, really curious about Hollywood 28 though.

Frank: Gamla Stan never been looking better...already miss it.. Out of curiosity, at what aperture did you shoot that dashing vehicle?..
checked the rear of my 45/2.8 and it seems just fine. It's a 100Jahre edition, so I make it a habit to only shoot in LV mode..

Edgards: I think Oly 24/2.8 lost to Canon 24/1.4L in terms of performance...though of course, the price difference is too much of a factor.



Krosavcheg
Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Total Posts: 2715
Country: Japan

I am also really curious about Zeiss Jena at 24-28mm there was one highly regarded, but I can't seem to find reference to it..



AbramG
Registered: Jan 31, 2006
Total Posts: 2479
Country: United States

The best 24mm lens I ever owned was the 24 f/1.4L II from Canon, that was simply superb in all ways.
Naturally the Zeiss lenses are rather exceptional, and I quite liked how the ZE 21mm drew with close up subjects.

Lately though I've been shooting quite a bit with a Nikkor 24mm AI with close range correction (CRC) on my F3 body and it is really quite good for such an inexpensive lens!



plasticmotif
Registered: Sep 23, 2010
Total Posts: 929
Country: United States

I'm a fan of the ZE/ZF 21, Sigma 24 Superwide, MC Rokkors, OM 21 and 24s, and the G28.



Krosavcheg
Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Total Posts: 2715
Country: Japan

Btw..what about Voigtlander 28/2.8? Anyone tested it?



aleksanderpolo
Registered: Jan 18, 2010
Total Posts: 880
Country: United States

I am not sure Jena has 24mm or 28mm lens, the 28mm Jena lens is a rebranded Cosina from old days if I remember correctly, and usually sell for cheap. You might have confused it with Yashica ML lens? (the other half of C/Y) which is of good reputation.

Krosavcheg wrote:
I am also really curious about Zeiss Jena at 24-28mm there was one highly regarded, but I can't seem to find reference to it..



Steve Spencer
Registered: Nov 08, 2006
Total Posts: 7715
Country: Canada

At 28mm I really like the Minolta MC Rokkor 28 f/2 that I had. It is a nice all around lens, but does well close-up. The bokeh is a little funky wide open, but gets very nice from f/2.8. Here are a couple of examples. The first is f/2; the second is f/2.8. Either way, I always liked the painterly drawing style of this lens. I didn't keep it when I got the ZE 35 f/1.4, but I regret that decision fairly often.



Krosavcheg
Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Total Posts: 2715
Country: Japan

aleksanderpolo wrote:
I am not sure Jena has 24mm or 28mm lens, the 28mm Jena lens is a rebranded Cosina from old days if I remember correctly, and usually sell for cheap. You might have confused it with Yashica ML lens? (the other half of C/Y) which is of good reputation.

Krosavcheg wrote:
I am also really curious about Zeiss Jena at 24-28mm there was one highly regarded, but I can't seem to find reference to it..



Perhaps I am confusing with Jena 35/2.8 which seems to be sought after?



1      
2
       3       4       end