$9,000 Canon 1S Coming Soon?
/forum/topic/1155289/0

2       3       end

David Frost
Total Posts: 65

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/06/canon-high-mp-dslr-rumors-suggest-d-less-name-and-mega-price-tag/

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

A 46MP camera is rumored for ages. Here is one thread.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

AaronNegro
Total Posts: 1341

Well, this one also comes from canonrumors.

it is a CR0, pure speculation but sets the hopes for new sensor technology, high MP count, higher DR in low ISO...

All good words about the sensor technology and ridiculous pricing.

Somehow I understand it if it needs great build quality for those landscaping but for the ones in studio, doesn't it make sense to have a somehow lesser body with fairly good AF and great sensor?

Just saying.
Aaron

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

Assuming that it won't have the AF/burst speed of the 1Dx, that's a LOT of premium to pay for an extra 20+MP and what would probably be a marginal DR/noise improvement.

retrofocus
Total Posts: 4026

I read this rumor post yesterday, and I hope it proves to be wrong. A $9K high MP FF camera? Are you kidding me? Who is buying this one?! If this is true, it would mean that Canon pretty much gave up to compete with the D800 sensor-wise in the same price range.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

Yes we have about ten new canon bodies coming very soon according to those rumor sites And a few of then are 30-50 MP I'm sure we will see all of them before Christmas time

cineski
Total Posts: 4222

From a lot of what I'm hearing from Nikon shooter friends and reading on forums, the D800 leaves a bit to be desired as a functioning camera (albeit with a stellar sensor). The rumored camera, should the rumors be true, would be firmly aimed at the highest end shooters who already shoot medium format. The advantages of a larger sensor aside, $9000 for a really really good full frame 35mm ultra high megapixel camera would be great for those mfd shooters and will hopefully impact medium format enough to start bringing down those insane prices. A lot of those people are already starting to shoot with 5D2's and 5D3's as photo budgets are drying up.

PhilDrinkwater
Total Posts: 1922

n0b0 wrote:
Assuming that it won't have the AF/burst speed of the 1Dx, that's a LOT of premium to pay for an extra 20+MP and what would probably be a marginal DR/noise improvement.

Maybe wait and see whether this is true and what the rumoured camera camera can actually do before trashing it?

retrofocus

cineski wrote:
From a lot of what I'm hearing from Nikon shooter friends and reading on forums, the D800 leaves a bit to be desired as a functioning camera (albeit with a stellar sensor). The rumored camera, should the rumors be true, would be firmly aimed at the highest end shooters who already shoot medium format. The advantages of a larger sensor aside, $9000 for a really really good full frame 35mm ultra high megapixel camera would be great for those mfd shooters and will hopefully impact medium format enough to start bringing down those insane prices. A lot of those people are already starting to shoot with 5D2's and 5D3's as photo budgets are drying up.

You cannot replace a medium format camera with a 35 mm FF sensor camera. Resolution-wise it is similar compared to a high MP FF sensor, but field of view and composition are still two different pair of shoes.

retrofocus

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes we have about ten new canon bodies coming very soon according to those rumor sites And a few of then are 30-50 MP I'm sure we will see all of them before Christmas time

I agree with your, Lars, if Canon does not announce a high MP FF body end of October at PDN in NY City, it won't happen this year. I still have hope that Canon does announce a D800 competitor til then, but if it goes towards this 1D body direction or nothing happens, then this is it for 2012. Fortunately I can still keep going with my 5D II for a long time!

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
n0b0 wrote:

Maybe wait and see whether this is true and what the rumoured camera camera can actually do before trashing it?

Maybe you should look up what the word "probably" means. It's just a speculation based on all the DSLRs Canon released in the past half decade. Since when is it the same thing as trashing?

Can you tell me a Canon DSLR from the past half decade that broke the mold of marginal DR/noise improvement? I might've missed one and that would definitely change my speculation.

Glenn NK
Total Posts: 506

Lars Johnsson wrote:

ROTF, etc.

Glenn

bbasiaga
Total Posts: 507

Yes, some of the rumor sites are saying this would be the first of Canon's new generation of sensor tech. We will see I suppose. It sounds too like it may be more of a direct replacement for the 1DsIII, which many people were upset at the 1Dx not being, but who now seem to be upset it will also cost similar to what a 1DsIII did at release. Too many MP for me either way, and I'm not financially able to buy the top line pro gear anyway. What excites me is the idea of the next gen sensor working its way down to a 6d type of body in the next generation. We will just have to see what the future brings. The images frok my 5DIII are superb, and if the next gen is even better I can't imagine what it will look like.

-Brian

snapsy
Total Posts: 4864

Sounds alot like what Nikon did with the D3x. Nikon had what they thought was a camera way ahead of its time and decided to charge an enormous premium for it. I'm not sure how well that worked out for Nikon in terms of profit maximization.

alundeb
Total Posts: 4400

cineski wrote:

retrofocus wrote:
You cannot replace a medium format camera with a 35 mm FF sensor camera. Resolution-wise it is similar compared to a high MP FF sensor, but field of view and composition are still two different pair of shoes.

You can indeed replace MF with 35 mm for the things you mention. You can get exactly the same FOV, composition, perspective and DOF (except some very rare MF lenses for ultra shallow DOF) with 35 mm as with MF.

Monito
Total Posts: 10087

I would like a no-fps high-res high image quality simple full-frame DSLR for less than the cost of the 5D3, even if that meant only a single AF point (which could then be up to f/8). The idea would be: no compromise on image quality or low price, but compromise everything else.

I don't have $9,000 for any camera and very few people do. But enthusiasts and lots of pros (portraits, studio, architecture, interiors) would snap up a sub $3000 high IQ camera and it could be profitably done for the price.

Monito
Total Posts: 10087

retrofocus wrote: You cannot replace a medium format camera with a 35 mm FF sensor camera. Resolution-wise it is similar compared to a high MP FF sensor, but field of view and composition are still two different pair of shoes.

That's a bunch of malarky. Equivalent field of view and composition are obtainable by using different focal lengths. Simply think of the medium format camera having sub-unity crop factor with respect to '35 mm' full frame, like 0.8 for the Leica S and 0.64 for others.

If you want to make a studio head and shoulders portrait from a distance of six feet you can use an 85 mm lens on a Canon full-frame DSLR and a 130 mm (approx.) lens on the Phase One IQ 180 (slight adjustments to account for difference in aspect ratios). You would get the same field of view and the same composition and the same perspective.

Photon
Total Posts: 10083

Monito wrote:
I would like a no-fps ...

I realize you meant single shot, no need for continuous shooting, let alone high fps, but it's funny to imagine a camera that is designed for ideal image quality, as long as you shoot zero images!

retrofocus

Monito wrote:
I would like a no-fps high-res high image quality simple full-frame DSLR for less than the cost of the 5D3, even if that meant only a single AF point (which could then be up to f/8). The idea would be: no compromise on image quality or low price, but compromise everything else.

This is absolutely nonsense and a pure Canon-profit supporting statement as always from you. The D800 gives you everything, including very good AF. I don't see any reason why Canon should compromise in any regard, and why it couldn't release a Camera like this. There is only one reason holding Canon back from this: internal sort of competition with the 5D III since its price would drop to the ground after such new high MP FF would be released.

PetKal
Total Posts: 24466

Photon wrote:
Monito wrote:
I would like a no-fps ...

I realize you meant single shot, no need for continuous shooting, let alone high fps, but it's funny to imagine a camera that is designed for ideal image quality, as long as you shoot zero images!

That sounds like a perfect forumography camera.........there would be no limit to speculative posts and threads on such camera's performance.......a virtual camera that becomes whatever you want it to be.

0 FPS = brilliant.

2       3       end