? D800 live view AF - has Nikon fixed screen resolution yet ?
/forum/topic/1155049/0

Alan321
Total Posts: 9961

I am wondering whether Nikon has yet supplied a firmware fix that allows full resolution display instead of an interpolated display on the live view screen for still-photo focus. I'm not fussed about video but I'd like to see all the detail I can get when using LV to focus a landscape photo.

I realize that it might cause lagging when zooming or panning but at the very least they should offer a menu option to let us choose between low res / fast update and high res / slow update.

- Alan

geniousc
Total Posts: 1852

No, wishful thinking though.

gene

Alan321

Thanks Gene. It's unfortunate that the eye glasses I need to wear when I'm out and about are not the best for doing manual focus with through the viewfinder and so I really wanted the D800 Live View to work better than it does.

johnbirch
Total Posts: 77

I agree that the live view should be fixed, but I strictly use live view manual focusing with my D800E, and I never miss focus. It's not as bad as the Internet suggests.

S Dilworth
Total Posts: 484

A pertinent question is whether it can be fixed.

Consider that the D800’s video mode employs line-skipping with only one-third of the lines used, whereas live view uses half of the lines. So Nikon already made the effort to optimise live view compared to video. If further optimisation were possible I suspect they’d have done it then.

Alan321

You'd think it would be easy enough to let you zoom in to a 100% view of the focus area and use all of the pixels for that part of the sensor. At that stage you are not displaying the rest of what the sensor is seeing and there should be no need for line-skipping until it actually takes a picture.

johnbirch, thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe I really should stay away from the camera shop after all, just in case they have a D800E and it becomes an expensive visit.