I see a bear
/forum/topic/1155047/0

MikeW
Total Posts: 1838

@ 204,800 iso.

Limited out in the dark (at 320/s) The D4 cranked it to the max on this bear, straight from camera, my first time hitting those numbers so I thought I'd share

Alan321
Total Posts: 9640

When forced to use high ISO and if the scene allows it, try over-exposing the subject by a stop to greatly reduce the noise level. Just don't go so far that you lose highlights that you want to keep. I expect you might have lost little detail in the stones and tree trunk but gained a lot on the bear so long as it was not moving too fast and in the vegetation.

How did you take this photo ? I would have used M exposure mode to set the shutter speed I needed for the action and camera motion and set the aperture I needed for DOF and let auto-ISO take care of the exposure (along with any exposure compensation that I dialed in). The only problem is that with this approach I cannot use exposure bracketing without the camera changing the aperture or the shutter speed. Nikon almost got it right.

- Alan

Dan Bellyk
Total Posts: 1794

ISO 204,800.....not much room for overexposing

MikeW

It was the last shot as he/she went bush. I wasn't taking the image to keep, I knew the iso was up there.

My settings were A mode with -.7 exp comp matrix. In the auto iso settings my min shutter was @ 320/s.

I lowered my min shutter from 500/s a little earlier as it was getting pretty dark quick.

ytwong
Total Posts: 1497

If you have room to over-expose you don't need to use such high-iso to begin with

What was the aperture used? I 'm trying to imagine how dark it was.

MikeW

F4 I believe, was at 5.6. I could have slowed the shutter down to lower the iso but last time I was at 200/s with the 300 F4 the images weren't as sharp as I hoped.

I was just shooting while I waited for my mother to finish, I knew the images weren't usable, she was shooting at much lower shutter speeds, but I can guarantee they'll be blurry , but yeah, I wish I had a flash light walking out of the woods :P It wasn't hugely dark right then though. But 320/s + F4 = high iso.

I thought - exp comp would lower the iso, he is already overexposed slightly imo

MikeW

another one, I like that you still get detail & the grain works in B&W.

This was at 1/250 - F4 - 204,800 iso

Chris Court
Total Posts: 313

Regardless of whether alternative setting may have given a better result or not… ISO 204,800… WTF!!! How far we have come.

C