Saw this image and just had to order the DP2M, couldn't fight it
/forum/topic/1155013/6

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

glacierpete
Total Posts: 148

douglasf13 wrote:
Glacierpete, have you compared the DP2M to the Sigma 30 on the Nex-7?

Douglas,
No I only have a 5n. In this focal range the G28 (has to be stopped down to f8) and CV 35 2.5 (has to be stopped down to f11) to get images sharp corner to corner and prevent color shift.
I will sell both lenses.

The foveon sensor is in many regards different to a bayer sensor. I am still learning to master it. The level of detail is extreme. I use it always with ISO 100 sometimes with 200 and raw. I have not seen any banding others mentioned. The software needs a lot of improvement. It has some problems with AUTO white balance and cyan skys (can be corrected). And the raw files have more information in their over and underexposed areas, than the software shows without tweaking it.
The camera shines with architecture / product shots and landscapes, as long as you can live with a fixed 30mm (APS) lens without tilt/shift. I have not seen any distortion or CA. And it is really sharp corner to corner without any color shift.
I have seen some nice BW people portraits on getdpi

In case you are considering a dp2m for your pro work, you might rent one first or buy one with the option to return it, in case it does not work for you. It fits my needs very well. For me it is a medium format (coat) pocket camera.

glacierpete
Total Posts: 148

ytwong wrote:
glacierpete wrote:
the image detail of the dp2m is on a medium/large format level

Are you saying that it is better than full-frame 35mm sensor? (say, D600)

ytwong
I don't have a D600 or D800e. Both are too expensive and too big/heavy for me. I only have seen some D600 jpgs on dpreview. They did look smooth, but not very sharp at 100%. A dp2m would have more details. But we have to wait for D600 raws. But the D600 does have an AA filter, the D800e has none. And the dp2m does not need one.

Here are some major discussion about the dp2m and some compare it to their D800e.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/39705-sigma-dp2-merrill-shots.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=69796.0

contas
Total Posts: 1047

I will show here the banding, it may not be seen at first but if pay more attention you'll see it, and do more discussion about it, we will get out of it faster and safer.Take the "jaw drop pic" from 1st page, look at the bottom :

alundeb
Total Posts: 4299

glacierpete wrote:
ytwong wrote:
glacierpete wrote:
the image detail of the dp2m is on a medium/large format level

Are you saying that it is better than full-frame 35mm sensor? (say, D600)

ytwong
I don't have a D600 or D800e. Both are too expensive and too big/heavy for me. I only have seen some D600 jpgs on dpreview. They did look smooth, but not very sharp at 100%. A dp2m would have more details. But we have to wait for D600 raws. But the D600 does have an AA filter, the D800e has none. And the dp2m does not need one.

Here are some major discussion about the dp2m and some compare it to their D800e.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/39705-sigma-dp2-merrill-shots.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=69796.0

There was a link to a full size image in there uprezzed to 60 MP with a spline algorithm. Very painterly look (almost like high ISO with extreme NR) and as far from medium format quality as you can get IMO

ytwong
Total Posts: 1536

Thanks glacierpete. I mainly use NEX-7 (only 2 native E mount lens, 24 and 50 1.8) these days but I still use full frame DSLR so I wounder if I can justify to have DP2M(or DP1M) plus NEX AND a fullframe DSLR.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

You know, I was just thinking. If I were to hang around with 2 cameras, the DP2M or DP1M would make a lot of sense as a second camera. I will use my primary camera for general shooting and this one for those specific purposes only. As such, all its limitations (including VFM) would suddenly seem a lot more tolerable.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

philber
Total Posts: 7473

Actually, I was thinking just the opposite. As a second camera, meaning as backup if my primary fails, I would like some kind of do-it-all cam, even if it is not perfect at everything. So far, RX1 looks good in that role.

mpmendenhall
Total Posts: 2034

contas wrote:
I will show here the banding, it may not be seen at first but if pay more attention you'll see it, and do more discussion about it, we will get out of it faster and safer.Take the "jaw drop pic" from 1st page, look at the bottom:

I'm seeing magenta/green color blotches, but I'm not seeing any banding. Is low-frequency magenta/green blotches what you're talking about? In that case, I've seen them all over most of the examples posted, but usually at a low enough level not to adversely impact the image.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6051

ytwong wrote:
Thanks glacierpete. I mainly use NEX-7 (only 2 native E mount lens, 24 and 50 1.8) these days but I still use full frame DSLR so I wounder if I can justify to have DP2M(or DP1M) plus NEX AND a fullframe DSLR.

You might consider trying the Sigma 30, first.

millsart
Total Posts: 4791

The Sigma 30 (and honestly the 19mm as well) are both some amazing bang for the buck for the NEX system. Probably equally good on m4/3 as well I would guess too, though a bit odd focal lengths with the crop factor.

I had both the Zeiss 24 and the Sigma 30, and frankly it was rather hard to justify the Zeiss as it cost 5 times as much and was a bit larger. It was faster of course, and a noticeable bit wider, but optically I don't think it was any better. Little different color as you'd expect between typical Zeiss and Sigma.

That said though, why buy just a 30mm lens for $200 when you can just add an extra $800 and get a really unique camera thrown in as well ? lol

mpmendenhall

millsart wrote:
The Sigma 30 (and honestly the 19mm as well) are both some amazing bang for the buck for the NEX system. Probably equally good on m4/3 as well I would guess too, though a bit odd focal lengths with the crop factor.

The Sigma NEX 30/2.8 isn't quite the same lens construction as the DP2M version; it's a 7/5 element/group design, versus 8/6 for the DP2M. It would be interesting to know, if anyone can get both side-by-side, whether the added complexity of the DP2M design was just necessary to provide an extra-telecentric lens for the angle sensitive X3 sensor, or whether the DP2M lens is even better corrected than the NEX.

contas

@mpmendenhall: I think this is a serious problem and do a negative impact, but the awareness of this phenomenon may vary.Return to above mentioned pic: the magenta bands (blotches?) are infect almost all the scene from the mountain, stream, mud and gravels gives the pic magenta cast all over, many other pics of Ryuichi Oshimoto's gallery are also suffered even more.I use SD1 and SD9 and always want to get rid of this kind of color shift.

Yakim Peled

Which blotches? Can anyone please pinpoint them?

Happy hooting,
Yakim.

mpmendenhall

Yakim Peled wrote:
Which blotches? Can anyone please pinpoint them?

Look closely at the color cast of the grey pebbled river bed in the photo at the start of this thread, and you'll see various mottled regions with slight magenta and green tints. I think the same effect is also visible in the dark blue-green trees directly below the mountain on the left (spots of magenta haze). I've also noticed it in the "stairs" picture I posted on the other DP2M thread, shown here with boosted saturation to exaggerate the effect (I think once you know what you're looking for it becomes obvious in many other pictures).

Yakim Peled

Got it now. Thanks for the explanation. And I thought it's all a garden of roses WRT colour.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

contas

This banding/blotching is needed to aware, unless you'll show the bad pic but you think is the best.Fortunately this low frequency noise is easily erased by newest Sigma Pro Photo 5.3.2 , and almost automatically, ONLY remember shoot at RAW.Other soft like Neat Image has no effect.

kosmoskatten
Total Posts: 2981

Found this remedy on LL for the color transitions; anyone care to try:

EDIT: The problem can be fixed via PP in PS by going in hue Red +5 and Yellow -15. This work and give perfect skin colours/transitions.

/ Henrik

reggie747
Total Posts: 1937

Tagged for later

petermendelson
Total Posts: 2644

Shot with my new DP2 Merrill yesterday in my neighborhood. The clarity of the photos when I looked at them on my screen shocked me. Makes me not want to lug around my D800E anymore...now I am tempted to get the DP1 as well.

http://petermendelson.zenfolio.com/p646078185/h4716F624#h4716f624

http://petermendelson.zenfolio.com/p646078185/h4716F62A#h4716f62a

philber
Total Posts: 7473

Congratulations on your new camera, Peter! No doubt, this is the best detail-for-your-money deal available right now, and by quite a margin. That said, colours are no more my cup of tea in your samples han they are in the others I have seen. But that is just my personal taste and opinion.

1       2       3              6      
       8       end