looking for a second body
/forum/topic/1154969/0

Kulig00
Total Posts: 91

i own a 5d mark 2 and am in the market for a backup body, for sports (off road desert racing, track racing, baseball, football) do you guys recommend the 7d or a 1d mark 3 for the price?

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20840

1DIII.

CW100
Total Posts: 4433

Kulig00 wrote:
i own a 5d mark 2 and am in the market for a backup body, for sports (off road desert racing, track racing, baseball, football) do you guys recommend the 7d or a 1d mark 3 for the price?

I suppose if you could get a good low mileage 1dmk3 it would be worth it, otherwise the 7D is great for sports

ICee
Total Posts: 139

Another vote for the 1D mk3. I still use mine and the results are still good.

Caleb Williams
Total Posts: 2605

It depends on what you're using it for (by which I mean which features are most important to you).

1DIII:
AF Speed
FPS

7D:
File size.

Haven't compared the high ISO capabilities, but I would think the edge would go to the 7D on this by about a stop.

EB-1
Total Posts: 22592

7D is quite noisy without heavy processing. I fail to see how the 1D III could be inherently noisier.

EBH

jcolwell

I've owned both the 1DIII and 7D. IMO, the 1DIII is at least slightly better in every way (including ISO), except for its greater size/weight and some of the following comments. As mentioned by Caleb, the 7D has larger file size, because of its much higher pixel density; however, 7D images do not crop well, and so this is only a significant advantage when you can fill the finder with the subject. The 7D has an advantage over the 1DIII for this. I find that the 1DIII images have higher IQ and even crop better than 7D images; however, you very quickly run out of pixels when you start cropping 1DIII images. That's why I sold both my 7D and 1DIII to get a 1DIV.

Kulig00

So all around for af points and low noise iso the 1d would be better however the 7d has much more mp to be able to print better...any one know how big you can print 10 mp without it degrading? Could i make 16x20? Im considering a 1d right now

jcolwell

I've sold 20x30 prints made from 20D 8MPx images...

Kulig00

Did you have to do a lot of processing?

Robert Way
Total Posts: 238

I've printed 20x30 from my old 30D and people were blown away..... 10MP should be no problem with the 1D mark III.

I presently shoot with a 7D but my vote would be a 1D Mark III for what you are wanting. The Af on my 7D is a little wonky. It is not unusual to have the camera to acquire focus after 3 or 4 frames have been taken in a longer sequence then within that sequence lose focus for a frame or two, then reacquire it. It frustrates me to no end.

If money permits I would actually go for a 1D Mark IV. I recently read a review of the high ISO prints coming from a Mark IV and Nikon D3s and the authors conclusion was prints from both cameras look wonderful. One would be hard pressed to tell which camera took which photo. I think he shot up to either 12,800 or maybe 25,600 and got very nice results up to 13x19.

Bob

dwweiche
Total Posts: 1420

As a 7D and 1DIII owner, if you are not reach limited, the 1DIII wins in pretty much every category. I love shooting it.

garydavidjones
Total Posts: 437

Have 5D3, 5D2 & 7D. 5D2 AF is too slow for sports or any action

photography. 5D3 definitely should be your choice. Far faster AF.

Kulig00

Thanks for the info guys, if i had the money id definitely get a 1d IV however the 1d III is about $2k less. And gary i dont really need another 5d haha its a greatcamer abut i think that the 1d III will be great for the price, now time to find a low mile one

Joe Warren
Total Posts: 132

Another vote for 1DIII, great camera.