Which kit would you pick and why
/forum/topic/1154489/1

end

dgsphoto
Total Posts: 830

I doubt if they will announce it...too close to 5Dmk3.

Even if they do, it will be a "under development" kind of announcement.

Given how greedy they were with the mk3 pricing, I don't expect a competitive price tag on such a body, at least not until it's high mp but sans most other stuff that we would like to have (very sure they will take that autofocus system away and add some watered down version of metering and ISO range).

At least their accessories are not proprietary yet and seem to be a bit more sensibly price compared to Nikon, but through the roof nevertheless..

Anyway thanks for the thoughts. keep them coming.

The votes seem to favor a single Canon bases system by a huge margin...

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 2887

As to the OP's original pondering...I'd be quite modest in my choice!

It's not on the list...an Alpa 12 with a Phase1 IQ180 back and a dozen or so bits of glass; it accepts Alpa, Canon, Hasse, Nikon and other lenses...there'd be no BIFing or action, but that's what the 1DX or D4 are for

If money was no object...why really choose!

jerbear00
Total Posts: 665

I picked both having used neither of the options listed completely. If you have the money why not use both. The Nikon currently has the best high mp body for 35mm.... If money truly is no object and your goal is to need posters of landscape I suppose I would buy 5diii and a phase one medium format.... Just saying

jerbear00
Total Posts: 665

StillFingerz wrote:
As to the OP's original pondering...I'd be quite modest in my choice!

It's not on the list...an Alpa 12 with a Phase1 IQ180 back and a dozen or so bits of glass; it accepts Alpa, Canon, Hasse, Nikon and other lenses...there'd be no BIFing or action, but that's what the 1DX or D4 are for

If money was no object...why really choose!

That's awesome I quit reading at the third posted in and left my response about phase one. Glad someone agrees!

adamo99
Total Posts: 419

Where's the 'Nikon only' option? I can shoot everything I need to with a D800E and the appropriate glass.

burningheart
Total Posts: 2296

I opted for option 1 both systems but that is because I currently shoot with multiple platforms(D800E,5D MKII, NEX-5). I view the cameras and lens as tools in the toolbox of photography. Each has its use.

I found I couldn't understand why in the Canon lenses for events and portrait you listed the 24 TS-E and no 70-200 and in the landscape (Nikon) no T+S.

Pros:
1. Using ZF and Nikon with adapters allows you to have 1 lens for use on both systems and you don't need to constantly buy and sell a lens everytime you switch platforms.
2. You have a larger choice of lenses available to use.
3. You can change the aperature on the lens itself (ZF and some Nikon lens) and see the change of DOF without use the DOF preview.
4. You know how a lens will perform when using the same lens on both platforms
5. Slight difference appearance (colors etc) on the result on a Canon sensor vs the Nikon sensor.
6. Each systems has its strengths and weaknesses and you can choose based on your shooting requirements.

Cons:
1. You can't mount your Canon lenses on the Nikon
2. You are buying double accessories flashes, remote triggers etc.
3. Using F-mount lenses on Canon require adapters,buying one adapter for every lens is too costly
4. Any adapted lens with an F mount loses AF and VR capailities
5. You lose meaningful EXIF data on the adapted lens should that be important to you.
6. In camera metering with adapted lens could be off and you will have to adjust your exposures.
7. As much as one says this camera will be for this purpose and that camera for that purpose, experience has shown me that at times the Canon will be used for Landscape and Nikon for Portait and Events. One must discipline themselves to avoid buying additional lenses for the just in case situations otherwise in the end you end up with two duplicate systems with the same lenses.
8. Do you want to always carry 2 different systems all the time? If you are just going for a walk around which do you take Canon or Nikon or both?

There are other pros and cons not listed, the list is endless but at the end of the day it is a personal choice to stick with one brand or use multiple brands. Either way you will always find that whichever way you choose there will be times you will be saying.

The grass always seems to be greener on the otherside (Canon, Nikon, mutliple platforms).

Just go and enjoy shooting whatever your style and equipment.

Scott Stoness
Total Posts: 9611

Would not get Nikon because:

- I want it for landscape and Nikon does not have TS17, TS24 and for me Zeiss 21 or Zeiss 15 or Samyang 14 or Nikon 14-24 just does not perform as well without the shift to straighten out the trees bowed over at low wa.

I would stick to Canon as mentioned above and would not get Samyang 14 or Zeiss 21 but would replace them with Canon TS17, and zeiss 25 f2. Because:
- Samyang while sharp requires lot of correction - who needs the hassle. And no shift.
- Zeiss 21 does not have shift so TS17 or TS24 is way better for landscape.
- Wheras when you get to zeiss 25 f2, it is a great night photography lens, that overcomes the f3.5 of TS24, which in my mind is the best wa lens bar none.

And then you fail to mention the holy grail of wildlife shooters - the new 600 f4 v2. With 1.4xIII.

The 200-400 f4 of nikon is tempting but canon (hopefully) will be better with the built in 1.4x.

So in short the Nikon might have the better bodies (d800) at full frame, they do not have as good a lens selection.

rodmcwha
Total Posts: 301

Nikon only! Never felt a need for Canon anything-that is not to put down a very capable brand, I am just comfortable with nikon and they have never disappointed me.
However---I shoot photographs, not test charts!

dgsphoto

First, Thanks everyone for your thoughts and guidance.

@Burningheart: Thanks for the objective assessment. And I know I am going to struggle with the discipline part as I have the 70-200 from both and multiple WA options.
@Scott Stoness: I hear you on the TS but it’s perspective control vs. dynamic range + resolution + detail

I have decided to go with the Nikon+Canon option primarily because of the dynamic range, resolution & detail that the D800e offers. I will just extend the D800e for events (24-70 and 70-200) and "limit" the Canon to portraits (85L and 135L), Landscape/Architecture where Perspective Control is a priority over the D800e sensor strengths and Tele (300L). I will also rethink the Canon body. May just pick up an mk2 instead of an mk3…

One of the risks with the D800e is the tint and AF issue. Hopefully I will have a body free of these issues.

The only redundancy is the two bodies that I have to carry in the kit and the extra WA prime. The rest of the lenses will all be unique in their application. The Samyang 14, Canon 70-200 and the 180L will stay home and retain there factory fresh status until I decide I like what I opted for, at which point I will let them go.

I will also watch out for how the Samyang 24 TS lens performs, especially on the D800E and may pick it up for the Nikon and let the Canon 24TSE go.

As for the argument about Canon releasing a high MP body with an equivalent or better sensor than Nikon D800e, I have mulled over it for long enough. Here’s my assessment:
1. At best Canon will match the DR and detail of the D800e rather than exceed it *significantly*. They are greedy enough to lose the double dip opportunity.

2. Resolution might be higher but it’s not that much of a benefit by itself unless it’s 30% higher and also comes with higher (than D800e) DR and detail

3. I have absolutely no doubt that Canon will skimp on other features on such a body. They will definitely downsize the AF system. They will also opt for lower FPS than add more processing power, etc.

4. And inspite of a chopped feature set, they will price it in the mid/high 4Ks if they want to keep the 5Dmk3 a viable product for a while.

5. Delivery on such a body would be at least a year out (probably even longer) unless it’s launched as a new market segment product so as not to cannibalize on the 5dmk3 (which takes us back to #4…segment and pricing)

6. An all new grip over the mk3, battery and what not is a given with Canon's current business model.

All in all, I believe I can get a good 2 years or more out of the D800E before we see a true competition at a great value (if not lower/equal price than/to D800E ) from canon that will be compelling enough to consolidate.

Feel free to keep adding to this thread, but I think I am ready to move forward...

Thanks everyone…

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19548

Well if money were no option hell yeah I get a D800(E) and the 14-24 and some Zeiss glass for landscape, but would have Canon for everything else including landscape and macro too. Canon still has the awesome 17/24 TS-E with super rotator design.

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6066

I like the D800e -- too bad it doesn't come in a compatible EF mount. Nikon can't touch the Canon glass I prefer, so even if the Canon bodies are a bit behind right now, the lenses are still in the lead. I'm just getting gear together for an upcoming assignment, and I realize that it has no Nikon equivalent: 15/2.8 Fish-eye, 16-35/2.8 L II, 28-300L IS, and 50/1.2L (at least nothing I would prefer).

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 2887

I own Canon, have since 1978; you do the math. I've a good friend that shoots Nikon. Neither of us will switch, we use each others gear; for a bit, when out shooting together, just to get a look through new glass.

It's not a competition, it's two friends enjoying time together, catching up on family/friends, and it's about having fun!
We don't worry about whose got the bigger byte...

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19548

Gunzorro wrote:
I like the D800e -- too bad it doesn't come in a compatible EF mount. Nikon can't touch the Canon glass I prefer, so even if the Canon bodies are a bit behind right now, the lenses are still in the lead. I'm just getting gear together for an upcoming assignment, and I realize that it has no Nikon equivalent: 15/2.8 Fish-eye, 16-35/2.8 L II, 28-300L IS, and 50/1.2L (at least nothing I would prefer).

First order of the day when I become supreme overlord is to mandate universal lens mount on all DSLR's

dgsphoto

Pixel Perfect wrote:
First order of the day when I become supreme overlord is to mandate universal lens mount on all DSLR's

And that the battery grip and the batteries have to retain the same design across at least 3 generations of bodies. Additionally no proprietary batteries!

Seriously though, the only reason the storage cards are not proprietary with Canon/Nikon is because players in that field have the means to fight a legal battle...

dgsphoto

Two D800e bodies and counting....both had left AF issues.

The first one was not as bad...although enough to warrant a replacement

The second one was horrible....the center, left and right focus points had completely different focus planes....and no this was not the field of curvature issue (as the first one with the exact same test setup with the same lens and same positioning was tons better, yet not spot on)

The frustration is building up....I really want this to work...hopefully the dealer will entertain another attempt...If not, I am regretfully giving up on Nikon and going all Canon...

end