D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?
/forum/topic/1154218/0

2       3       4       5       end

uintaangler
Total Posts: 2441

It would be nice to move up to a camera with the capabilities of the D800, but the concept of spending that much money while knowing that it's a crapshoot whether or not I end up with a brand new camera with a focusing issue, has caused me to not pull the trigger on buying one

Is waiting awhile for Nikon to correct this problem a good strategy?

Has anybody heard anything definitive about Nikon's plans in this regard?

Thanks.

ct8282
Total Posts: 2198

It's frustrating isn't it. I bought one last week because I pushed for a very good deal, but 3 bodies tested so far and all 3 have the problem.

The retailer is currently looking into sourcing me a non-affected body but I have already spoken with Nikon directly and they have said they can calibrate the D800 easily enough for me. However, for that kind of money I expect it to be perfect right out the box.

uintaangler

Does having Nikon calibrate it for you entail sending a brand new camera to a Nikon Service center?
Thanks for your response

M635_Guy
Total Posts: 2285

uintaangler wrote:
Does having Nikon calibrate it for you entail sending a brand new camera to a Nikon Service center?
Thanks for your response

If by "brand new" you mean an box that has jus been purchased, is seen to have the issue and is then shipped to and calibrated by Nikon, then "Yes".

ct8282

uintaangler wrote:
Thanks for your response

As above. It would mean sending my brand new D800 to a Nikon service centre for calibration.

I would rather be supplied with a replacement brand new D800 though.

uintaangler

Thus my original question - can we assume at this point that newer D800's will leave the factory without the AF issue?

vchowdhary
Total Posts: 1198

New D800e from Amazon still has issue.

ct8282

uintaangler wrote:
Thus my original question - can we assume at this point that newer D800's will leave the factory without the AF issue?

I'm sure i have read on the web that Nikon has resolved the manufacturing flaws that created this issue. Therefor new D800's form the factory should not have the problem.

uintaangler

So I guess the trick will be figuring out what retail outlets have the newer D800's and who is still unloading their inventory of the problematic bodies

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4159

The issue is real and I am assuming any body coming from the factory now should be ok. With that being said I had mine for over four months with the issue and not once did it effect my shoots all of which were paid. The issue only shows up on my wide lenses when using the outer points. The camera was perfect on all lenses 50 mm and longer. Recently I had a break and I decided to send it in. The camera was back to me within 2 weeks and is now flawless. So if you must purchase a new d800 you have two options if it exhibits this issue. 1.Send it back to the retailer and wait for another body turn around time could be a week or more. 2. Send it to Nikon have them fix it turnaround time 2 weeks. It's a tough choice but the camera is very good.

lukeb
Total Posts: 1804

I plan on buying when Thom says they've fixed the problem. Only then!

http://www.bythom.com/

My 700's are still doing bang-up jobs.

elbeasto
Total Posts: 222

Yeah, I've thought about going a 5DIII because of this but really, I'm better off putting some new glass in front of my D700.
In terms of getting a D800E, I'd rather let everyone else buy up the affected ones first anyway.

mshi
Total Posts: 3311

You would normally expect there could be many refurbed D800/D800E showing up at the Nikon Store. When we see none, that means they just keep recycling the stuff.

M635_Guy
Total Posts: 2285

mshi wrote:
You would normally expect there could be many refurbed D800/D800E showing up at the Nikon Store. When we see none, that means they just keep recycling the stuff.

They probably are being a little careful not to crater their dealers when stock is still a little sketchy, but you have a good point - you'd think they'd have a LOT of end-user returns that will have to become refurbs or scrap...

runamuck
Total Posts: 6791

Early adopter=beta tester.

xaradaisy
Total Posts: 407

When did you receive the D800E from amazon? And what is the approximate serial number?

Thanks

SoundHound
Total Posts: 5318

Virtually no camera as complex as today's DSLRS is perfectly calibrated out of the box. To the person that might switch to Canon: I came from Canon and there you have lots more calibration problems.

mshi
Total Posts: 3311

M635_Guy wrote:

They probably are being a little careful not to crater their dealers when stock is still a little sketchy, but you have a good point - you'd think they'd have a LOT of end-user returns that will have to become refurbs or scrap...

to save yourselves some precious time, the optimal strategy is to wait a few more months and I believe retailers will likely offer some discounts on D800/D800E too.

davidnholtjr
Total Posts: 1713

uintaangler wrote:
It would be nice to move up to a camera with the capabilities of the D800, but the concept of spending that much money while knowing that it's a crapshoot whether or not I end up with a brand new camera with a focusing issue, has caused me to not pull the trigger on buying one

Is waiting awhile for Nikon to correct this problem a good strategy?

Has anybody heard anything definitive about Nikon's plans in this regard?

Thanks.

If it where me I'd wait 3-6 more months till buying one.

vchowdhary
Total Posts: 1198

xaradaisy wrote:
When did you receive the D800E from amazon? And what is the approximate serial number?

Thanks

306*
received it yesterday evening.

2       3       4       5       end