D800 goes to Yellowstone
/forum/topic/1154051/1

3       end

davidnholtjr
Total Posts: 1700

Great pics. Will get out there one of these days.

In pic 4 is that lava?

Willy Y.
Total Posts: 237

Jorge Torralba wrote:
have been know to aggravate the animals rather than deter them.

Lol, that is so not true...pepper spray works and I know at least 5 people that have first hand experience.

Great pics!

Kell
Total Posts: 1148

don't need any form of protection, just as long as the person you're with runs slower than you

Jorge Torralba
Total Posts: 2337

Stdon

That was just a stock photo. Here are my babies

By the way, the 1911 is very practical in size. But when it comes to a Grizz or a Kodiak my Marlin 1895SBL is best. the 4570 will stop just about anything.

NikonGuyIsHere
Total Posts: 229

Great shots.

Person behind the camera and lens in front of camera was probably more important.

Willy Y.
Total Posts: 237

I actually prefer to shoot animals with my D800.

ReyGay
Total Posts: 1762

Awesome shots!

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Nozzleforward
Total Posts: 784

Fantastic images... Couldn't pick a favorite if I wanted to...

B SMOOTH
Total Posts: 76

great stuff

my fav...

RoyC
Total Posts: 263

Jorge Torralba wrote:
I'm sorry to say your bear attack grill will probably lead to a sad ending since those sprays have been know to aggravate the animals rather than deter them.

You know with all of the experience that the Yellowstone Park Rangers have one would have thought that they knew what worked for Ole Grizz.

"Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. Bear spray and other safety precautions are the proven methods for preventing bear and other wildlife interactions."

RoyC
Total Posts: 263

Kell wrote:
don't need any form of protection, just as long as the person you're with runs slower than you

Just carry a little 22cal pistol to deliver a leg shot to whomever you decide to leave behind.

Jonathan
Total Posts: 3851

Michael, those shots are amazing as always. I know about too few days. I spent 15 days the last time west and remember blinking and 10 days had gone by.

Your images are always inspiring(and humbling ) to me because I'd like to have 50% of your talent.

Well done, but please post more when you have time.

traylorc
Total Posts: 181

Fantastic shots...the one of the wolf is amazing!!

allstarimaging
Total Posts: 1851

Hi Michael,
Great images as always. Yellowstone is spectacular and I hope to get back there next year. Excellent light and backgrounds on these. Do you wish you had more reach while you were there? Either a 600mm or even a crop body instead of using te TC's? Thanks for posting and all the best.
Jack

Creative Edge
Total Posts: 2011

thanks for the compliments guys..

David, the bright colors you see in the water is actually algae and not lava.

Jon...thank you..

Jack, I still prefer the 400 to the 600 for the versatility it offers me. The shot of the elk was taken at 400, 600 would have cropped too much. With the D800 I can always crop after the shot and to me it's like having both an fx and dx camera. Most of the times the only tc I needed was the 1.4 and a few times such as the pronghorn shots I used the 2x tc and even wide open it's tack sharp. As you know I had the 600vr and although it is a stunning piece of glass, I still prefer the 400 for my shooting style

jmcfadden
Total Posts: 30235

whew really good work here Michael, well done sir!

all are so good but you know i have a soft place in my heart for pronghorn

J

tabrink
Total Posts: 2719

Stdon wrote:
Don't want to hijack but Jorge there is no more leading proponent for a 1911 based .45 as I've custom built them for 30 years I would suggest one slight modification on your 1911 if you are to depend on it against bear attacks. Remove the front sight. That way when a bear does attack you you won't cut your lip when you stick the muzzle in your mouth and pull the trigger.
A far better solution would be something like a Remington 870, 19 inch barrel and a 9 round tube magazine alternating #1 buckshot and slugs.

Wonderful pictures BTW

Almost spit mt coffee out!
I love that!
Or...

fraga
Total Posts: 2172

@tabrink:

is this your private collection?

Wayne Willison
Total Posts: 1273

RoyC wrote:
Kell wrote:

Just carry a little 22cal pistol to deliver a leg shot to whomever you decide to leave behind.

Elan II
Total Posts: 922

Truly stunning set of images. I can't even pick a favorite they are so good. I've seen countless images from people who spent time in Yellowstone, some pros, some over many years. None of them brought in a set like this in a single haul. Most can't match this period.

I would love to see more pics and hear more about what it took to get these shots. Place, timing, time spent, light strategies, how important the gear was. Was a blind used? Did anyone give you park tips? Everything please!

3       end