Canon 5D Mark II big price drop! Now at $1,699
/forum/topic/1153632/2

1       2      
       4       end

gene A.
Total Posts: 307

Bullseye5d2 wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:

I for one will not be selling my almost 5-year-old 5D Mark II. It's amazing to think that after many years, this body still holds its own when compared to Canon's recent releases. Even if Canon produces a higher megapixel sensor, the 5D II will always be in my bag as a backup.

is that because the 5d2 is so awesome or because the newer cameras should have been much more...

Just saying... the 5d3 should have offered more than an AF upgrade.

Anyway, how long until they officially discontinue 5d2? As soon as 6D hits the shelves?

Lets be real there is almost nothing on the 5D3 that Canon couldn't have offered on the 5DII five years ago. I just don't see enough there to justify a major price increase .

DSL67
Total Posts: 333

I have my gripped 5D Mark II up for sale on eBay right now. I can't wait to get the New 5D Mark III now that their prices are coming down. $2700 and I pull the trigger!

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9557

gene A. wrote:
Bullseye5d2 wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:

I for one will not be selling my almost 5-year-old 5D Mark II. It's amazing to think that after many years, this body still holds its own when compared to Canon's recent releases. Even if Canon produces a higher megapixel sensor, the 5D II will always be in my bag as a backup.

is that because the 5d2 is so awesome or because the newer cameras should have been much more...

Just saying... the 5d3 should have offered more than an AF upgrade.

Anyway, how long until they officially discontinue 5d2? As soon as 6D hits the shelves?

Lets be real there is almost nothing on the 5D3 that Canon couldn't have offered on the 5DII five years ago. I just don't see enough there to justify a major price increase .

Inflation coupled with a weak dollar against the yen has sure make other Japanese products drift skywards. Heck even USPS prices have gone up a lot the last few years and they didn't actually improve service one iota. It's just the way it is...

stargazer78
Total Posts: 371

gene A. wrote:

Lets be real here. What you're really demanding is for Canon to have offered a camera five years ago that's superior to the 1Ds3 at half the price of a 1Ds3. I just don't see why Canon doesn't just give away these cameras for free...

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

gene A. wrote:

Not so. These are completely different cameras, as far apart as two cameras from the same segment from the same manufacture can be. As one who was never too enthusiastic about the 5D1 and 5D2 I immediately felt that the 5D3 is a very different beast. Have you actually shot with both?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Frank Cardoze
Total Posts: 7

Two weeks ago I sold my motorcycle so I could invest in my photography.

After doing a lot of research I picked up a 5D mk2 last week. I did not need the latest and greatest camera for landscape photography. So with price drop I felt it was time. This is my first FF. Wow! Awesome landscape camera.

I have owned a 7D for the last year. I got some nice sports pics with the 7D, but it did not do that well with landscape photography (IMHO). The 5D is a whole different story. Every lens is tack sharp.... 24 TSE II, 50 1.4, 85 1.8 70-200L f4. With the 7D I spent a whole lot of time calibrating and playing around with settings. So far I did nothing to the 5D.

Next stop... getting me the essential Singh-Ray filters (CP and ND grads). Finally after a year of frustration with the 7D I am a happy Canon owner again.

The 7D is still like new. I am not sure if I want to sell it or keep it and this point.

Like Fred Miranda mentioned in his post... it is amazing how this camera is still holding its own.

Frank

ronfronberg
Total Posts: 399

I was in a local store today and the 5d2 new was $1619 plus CA tax.

The price keeps going down.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

ronfronberg wrote:

Which is not very surprising. IMHO the real surprise is that it still sells as new.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

rockant
Total Posts: 174

ronfronberg wrote:

I live in CA too, and have been looking at the 5D MkII. Do you mind sharing where you saw that price?

Thanks,
Anthony

chez
Total Posts: 7794

Yakim Peled wrote:
ronfronberg wrote:

Which is not very surprising. IMHO the real surprise is that it still sells as new.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

It will sell as new until the 6D emerges. There is nothing in Canon's lineup at the $1500-$2000 price range for full frame cameras if they stopped selling the 5D2.

PDoc
Total Posts: 28

For any fellow UKers, London Camera Exchange now have the 5D2 for 1399 (inc. tax) - I couldn't resist. PX'd my 5D1 for close to 400. Also, their website claims these are kit-splits, but what I bought wasn't.

Don George
Total Posts: 63

One of our local shops who also carries camera equipment just sold their last 5D ll's for 1599. Missed out by a day. Checking a few other places but will probably order from B&H.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17677

Update:
Now available for $1,699.00!

B&H Photo and Amazon.com

tanglefoot47
Total Posts: 14825

I would have to give up my 7D to get this. But I wonder if it would be a wise move as I shoot mainly sports and birdies

vsg28
Total Posts: 1227

I do mostly events, macro and the occasional wildlife but I am also thinking about going 7D -> 5D II

tanglefoot47
Total Posts: 14825

vsg28 wrote:
I do mostly events, macro and the occasional wildlife but I am also thinking about going 7D -> 5D II

Doing some crash reading and not so sure this would be the way to go. It seems the 7D is better for what I shoot has faster AF

vsg28

Aye, I am not sure I want to lose out on the AF and reach myself. Maybe a nice used body within $250-300 of a trade will prove interesting though.

clarence3
Total Posts: 2204

tanglefoot47 wrote:
I would have to give up my 7D to get this. But I wonder if it would be a wise move as I shoot mainly sports and birdies

Then stick with the 7D.

AF acquisition and servo tracking on the 5D2 is miserable. For birds and sports, the 7D's extra 1.6x crop reach is nice to have.

If you said portraits or landscapes, the 5D2 would be fine.

vsg28

Another thing to note is that the 7D (and all crop bodies) are more forgiving with lenses that are softer in corners. I have no idea if my lenses, which are all fabulous on the 7D, will be good enough on FF.

shelland
Total Posts: 33

tanglefoot47 wrote:
vsg28 wrote:

Doing some crash reading and not so sure this would be the way to go. It seems the 7D is better for what I shoot has faster AF

I'm just an enthusiast those mostly shoots my son's sporting events (12 y.o., but obviously growing quickly), and local sporting events for fun now and then. I'd like to upgrade from my 60D, but obviously don't want to break the bank since I don't make money at this.

I'm not in the market quite yet so haven't done detailed reading, but I'll ask since you brought it up. Is the 7D a better option for sports than the 5D II? Basketball is the toughest environment that I shoot of my son (w/70-200 f/2.8).

This thread caught my eye to read about this price drop, but am interested in the 7D comparison. Or should I hold off on the 7D II and hope that it has an upgraded sensor that gives me even better indoor capabilities?

1       2      
       4       end