Canon 5D Mark II big price drop! Now at $1,699
/forum/topic/1153632/1

3       4       end

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18021

The newly priced 5D II is currently the "best bang for the buck" when shooting full frame. If you mainly shoot at the lower ISO range (100 to 640), this could be the best time to get a new one.
I for one will not be selling my almost 5-year-old 5D Mark II. It's amazing to think that after many years, this body still holds its own when compared to Canon's recent releases. Even if Canon produces a higher megapixel sensor, the 5D II will always be in my bag as a backup.

Bullseye5d2
Total Posts: 255

Fred Miranda wrote:

I for one will not be selling my almost 5-year-old 5D Mark II. It's amazing to think that after many years, this body still holds its own when compared to Canon's recent releases. Even if Canon produces a higher megapixel sensor, the 5D II will always be in my bag as a backup.

is that because the 5d2 is so awesome or because the newer cameras should have been much more...

Just saying... the 5d3 should have offered more than an AF upgrade.

Anyway, how long until they officially discontinue 5d2? As soon as 6D hits the shelves?

pKai
Total Posts: 917

I borrowed a 5D3 from CPS and did not see anything justifying the $2,000-ish upgrade price.

A better camera? Yes, of course... but $2,000 better than a 5D2?... not in my opinion for the shooting I do with FF.

I agree with Bullseye that for $2+ grand above the 5D2, the 5D3 should offer more.

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1693

They are trying to get rid of all the 5D2's on the shelf so the 6D won't look so pathetic sitting next to it...

kenwood
Total Posts: 116

So whats a fair price for a used body? I am in the market for now, but won't need it till Dec.

zapatista
Total Posts: 135

RobertLynn wrote:
vsg28 wrote:
tax benefits?

I don't think the dude understands amortization of depreciate business assets.

Amortization generally only refers to intangibles (goodwill, non-compete clauses, etc...), it would be depreciation you are referring too. Also, the person could possibly use Sec. 179 to 100% expense the costs on a Sch. C or through a flow-through entity (USA MACRS).

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1528

artsupreme wrote:
They are trying to get rid of all the 5D2's on the shelf so the 6D won't look so pathetic sitting next to it...

True.

6D will have to be $2,099 for the first shipment, while 5D2 could be available new as low as $1,500. (I recall there was a spot sale on eBay for $1,600 when its retail price was still $2,199 with no rebate.) For $600-$700 difference, that's pretty much for a few new features in a new look. Is it worth it? Not to me.

6D has some interesting features, but, in about 6 months or so, I bet we could find a brand new one for $1,700-$1,800. I will look into it when the price starts hitting that range.

pKai
Total Posts: 917

kenwood wrote:
So whats a fair price for a used body? I am in the market for now, but won't need it till Dec.

Figure about 75-80% of the new price for a minty sample with low shutter count, original box, viable battery, and all accessories. About $1350-$1450 --- adjust downward from there for lesser condition.

A better deal (they're in stock now, maybe gone by Dec):

You can get a Canon factory refurb for $1759 minus 20% under CLP by trading in a broken Powershot that you can buy on eBay for about $2. That's $1407+tax for a sample likely to have less than 100 shutter actuations and a 90 day Canon factory warranty. Not too many people know about this, hence used ones are still selling for $1400ish on eBay.

coppertop
Total Posts: 1462

Called Canon's Loyalty Program this morning... with a recycled camera the price on the refurb 5D MKII is $1584 plus local tax. Was expecting the $1400 price and was a little shocked.

The rep said that was the pricing in the system and that maybe the lower price was from an earlier promotion.

jwin
Total Posts: 181

Beach camera is selling 5D II + 24-105 IS L kit with PIXMA 9000 II printer for $2599.99 on ebay (minus Canon $400 rebate for printer, minus 2% ebay bucks).

Everything is new with USA warranty and free shipped. The cheapest price I've seen to-date on a 5D II.

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1693

jwin wrote:
Beach camera is selling 5D II + 24-105 IS L kit with PIXMA 9000 II printer for $2599.99 on ebay (minus Canon $400 rebate for printer, minus 2% ebay bucks).

Everything is new with USA warranty and free shipped. The cheapest price I've seen to-date on a 5D II.

Pretty nice deal

BA-photos
Total Posts: 123

coppertop wrote:
Called Canon's Loyalty Program this morning... with a recycled camera the price on the refurb 5D MKII is $1584 plus local tax. Was expecting the $1400 price and was a little shocked.

The rep said that was the pricing in the system and that maybe the lower price was from an earlier promotion.

I believe Canon reduced Loyalty discount to %10 for 5D II a while back. They also don't include it in refurbish sales nowadays.

John Power
Total Posts: 9455

90c4 wrote:
Yeah, my timing was great too. Sold mine for $1600 last week, bought the 5D3 for $2700 and after the tax benefits it turned out to be about a $200 upgrade for a way better camera under warranty.

A "was better" camera. You must be joking. There are guys in this site that can take better photos with 10d that a lot can with this "way better" camera.

vsg28
Total Posts: 1227

I would not disagree in that a 10D in capable hands can produce good pictures. But to say those very hands will not make better use of the 5D3 is something entirely different.

chas
Total Posts: 1768

molson wrote:
Shutterbug2006 wrote:

handheld tripod

That's a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

They also have a three legged monopod, but it is more expensive.

ssnap
Total Posts: 456

Fantastic opportunity today! Best Buy has them at the "clearance" price and one of our local stores had a body in stock. I also had $85 in Reward Zone coupons.
I thought I would end up with a 6D in December but the savings between this and the 6D can go towards other equipment. Besides, this camera is available now and there are some jobs this fall that I'd love to have FF for.

vsg28
Total Posts: 1227

Good for you! Personally Best Buy can sink down like Ritz for all I care after all the bad experiences I had. I am honestly surprised their price was matching online prices at all.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Fred Miranda wrote:
This camera will be removed from production - stock is limited.

Well, of course, but when?

Happy shooting,
Yakim

crookie
Total Posts: 126

I finally 'pulled the trigger' on full-frame and bought a great condition used 5DII with low shutter count.

I thought about the 6D, but honestly the prices on the 5DII (both new and used) are excellent and I really prefer the excellent build quality.

The savings will enable me to purchase a used 17-40, and combining that with the 70-200 IS II that I already own puts me into a good position I think.

Just thought I'd share my experience. My 5DII is set to arrive this week.

ssnap
Total Posts: 456

vsg28 wrote:
Good for you! Personally Best Buy can sink down like Ritz for all I care after all the bad experiences I had. I am honestly surprised their price was matching online prices at all.

I understand where you are coming from. Typically I purchase all of my equipment from a local camera store. I like the idea of supporting a locally owned business and have developed a pretty good relationship with them. Unfortunately, they are not carrying the Mark II. I purchased my entire outfit from them with the exception of this one body. Hmm, now I feel like I've cheated on my camera store.

3       4       end