ISO or Shutter Speed?
/forum/topic/1153148/0

hcm228
Total Posts: 50

Hi guys. I dont post that often, but I just picked up a 7D this past week and was looking forward to putting it to good use last night at my sons homecoming game. Wouldnt you know it poored the first half and I just dont trust the sealing that much. Then, on top of that, my son tore his MCL on the first play of the game. Talk about taking the wind out of your sails. Anyway, I totally lost desire to shoot the game and since I just do it for my enjoyment and others, just didnt put much effort into it. That said, I do have a question. In the shot Im including here, its done at F4, iso 6400 and at a 500 shutter speed. I could bump up the iso a bit more, but Im not sure its worth it for the noise I would pick up. Just wondering where you guys lean on it. I have a 70-200 2.8 and a 300 F4. I didnt pull out the 300 last nite, just stuck an extender on the 200 just to see how F4 would work. I guess Im happy, and others have it much worse then I with lighting...but again, just wanting to get other thoughts. Sorry for the long post.

hcm228

By the way, not my best work by a long shot...and a bit oversharpened...Maybe I should slow down before I post.

Russ Isabella
Total Posts: 9921

So sorry to hear about your son. We all know how much work and sacrifice go into devoting yourself to a sport; I'm sure this is a disappointment to all of you.

I would stick with ISO 6400 and live with 1/500, unless I could drop my aperture to 2.8, in which case the extra stop in shutter speed would be my choice.

hcm228

I will shoot a good bit with the 70-200 at 2.8 and definitely stay at 6400. But I want to get a bit more reach so I dont have to shoot so close so often. That puts me back at the 300 F4 and thats where my decision lies. Im probably going to stay at 6400 though. I did a few at 12800 and while they arent bad, they take a good bit more post to pull back in. Thanks for your opinion.