White Sands NM- the dunes
/forum/topic/1152631/0

Charlie Shugart
Total Posts: 28515

Unlike most sand dunes, these are not made of tiny bits of quartz, but of gypsum and calcium sulfate.
Hence the brilliant white, and a texture that is almost like powder.
In steep places, the grains seem to "flow," which helps explain why the dunes aren't very high compared to quartz dunes.

Cloudbow
Total Posts: 1796

What is the dune reflected on in the first image? Is there standing water there? I don't remember any lakes at White Sands.

Bev

Charlie Shugart

No permanent standing water in White Sands that I know about, Bev.
But a recent rain had dumped enough water in the surrounding higher areas that this low spot took on the temporary status of a very shallow lake.
Elsewhere there was a "river" of sorts that also was very shallow.
Charlie

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6649

Spent 30 days there whilst in the Army back in '85. I saw some the strangest creatures there, and some seriously huge jack rabbits. Just wish I had been into photography back then. Then again, I was more worried about being run over by track vehicles who's drivers couldn't see you parked behind one of those "dunes." Great shots Charlie and thanks for sparking the memory!

Greg

DSC01
Total Posts: 1768

Charlie, neat shots I like them both and I think #2 would make an intersting black and white image with the sky cropped out. Regards,
Dean

philtax
Total Posts: 3060

Fascinating images Charlie! Amazing "fingers" in #2.

Phil

Charlie Shugart

Thanks Greg, Dean and Phil.
I also was fascinated by the flowing fingers. At the least disturbance, a similar flow would begin.
Charlie

Dennis M 1064
Total Posts: 421

There was a Bedouin village there not so long ago. Would have been interesting with a couple camels crossing the sands. My friend was there shooting Transformers II. She sent me a photo with her and a camel. I thought that must be an extraordinary place to photograph. From the looks of it Charlie, I was right. Nicely done.

Wayne Willison
Total Posts: 1281

Very interesting images. Nice job on exposure, also. The whitesand must've been tough to deal with in the sunlight.
I also appreciate the info as to what makes up the sand.

Wayne.

Charlie Shugart

Thanks Dennis and Wayne.
After a few dozen years shooting Kodachrome slide film, I automatically took readings off something about 18% grey, set the exposures manually, and then looked for the shot I wanted. It took longer to write about it than to do it, and the system usually worked okay.
I'm a traveler first- then a photographer- so learning something about the subject is usually an important part of the experience. Well, it is for me .
Charlie

Killergoalie
Total Posts: 308

Great images!

The second looks as if there's an avalanche happening. The same way you see billows of snow coming down the side of a mountain.

ScaryFox
Total Posts: 25292

Excellent images, I really enjoy them.
Ute

helenica
Total Posts: 1484

Some of your best work Charlie!

Charlie Shugart

Thanks KG, Ute and Helenica.
I've only seen avalanches on TV, but yes, I see the similarities.
Charlie