Nicer Camera Straps
/forum/topic/1152518/2

1       2      
3
       4       5       end

RKTodd
Registered: Oct 24, 2008
Total Posts: 260
Country: United States

I've been on the fence about ordering the holdfast. Just decided to get the bridle leather version---hope I like it.



S-Man23
Registered: Jan 01, 2008
Total Posts: 389
Country: United States

I just paid for a HF Moneymaker- Bridle Leather version, and got a message after the fact that they're sold out and won't ship for another 2-3 weeks. Nice.
I was hoping to use it on several weddings I have in the next few weeks but nope. It'll arrive just in time for slow season when there's nothin doing.
That said, I had initially wanted the oiled brown version, but also found out after some digging on their Tumblr gallery, that it has been discontinued, and in it's stead is the Chestnut Bridle color. *sigh*
Oh well.



the_rebel
Registered: Oct 26, 2005
Total Posts: 1230
Country: Canada

A friend of mine shot a wedding with me and it was the first time i saw a HF strap in person.
Unfortunately i asked him if he made it himself since i had no clue what it was
The ends of the straps started to curl a little and to me it looked like old waist belts that were re-used for a camera strap...The belt style loop and pin made it look more so Definitely wouldn't guess that it's an actual product being sold for the money they are. Doesn't matter if it's leather or not.
Functionality aside, the strap to me was ugly, and looked cheap and home made



mosier
Registered: Feb 02, 2008
Total Posts: 1723
Country: United States

the_rebel wrote:
A friend of mine shot a wedding with me and it was the first time i saw a HF strap in person.
Unfortunately i asked him if he made it himself since i had no clue what it was
The ends of the straps started to curl a little and to me it looked like old waist belts that were re-used for a camera strap...The belt style loop and pin made it look more so Definitely wouldn't guess that it's an actual product being sold for the money they are. Doesn't matter if it's leather or not.
Functionality aside, the strap to me was ugly, and looked cheap and home made


That's interesting. I have the black water buffalo straps and have shot 6 weddings with them. They still look as new and operate perfectly. Far better then my Black Rapid straps did. To each there own I guess.



g-money
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 814
Country: United States

mosier wrote:
That's interesting. I have the black water buffalo straps and have shot 6 weddings with them. They still look as new and operate perfectly. Far better then my Black Rapid straps did. To each there own I guess.



Jeff, How do your shoulders feel at the end of the day compared to the BR? I really like the style of the moneymaker, always though the BR looked a little dorky, but I really like the padding that the BR brings to the shoulder area. Especially during a long day of shooting.

Greg



Ghost
Registered: Feb 22, 2005
Total Posts: 2042
Country: Canada

Those HF looks like a standard baller gear.

I am unconvinced of its ergonomics when a size-able camera and lenses are strapped with it. But it's just from my own visual observation of the strap itself. Those metal buckle rivets give me pause as well.

If you don't want the "Call of Duty" look, there are tons of neat artisan straps available online. Saw a few in Amazon too.



mosier
Registered: Feb 02, 2008
Total Posts: 1723
Country: United States

g-money wrote:
mosier wrote:
That's interesting. I have the black water buffalo straps and have shot 6 weddings with them. They still look as new and operate perfectly. Far better then my Black Rapid straps did. To each there own I guess.



Jeff, How do your shoulders feel at the end of the day compared to the BR? I really like the style of the moneymaker, always though the BR looked a little dorky, but I really like the padding that the BR brings to the shoulder area. Especially during a long day of shooting.

Greg


Greg,I feel great afterwards, but I always hated the pads on my BR. They would shift constantly throughout the day. Also when I drop down to one camera the MM stays balanced a lot more then my BR did.



mosier
Registered: Feb 02, 2008
Total Posts: 1723
Country: United States

Ghost wrote:
Those HF looks like a standard baller gear.

I am unconvinced of its ergonomics when a size-able camera and lenses are strapped with it. But it's just from my own visual observation of the strap itself. Those metal buckle rivets give me pause as well.

If you don't want the "Call of Duty" look, there are tons of neat artisan straps available online. Saw a few in Amazon too.


I shoot with a D3S + 70-200 75% of the day, it's great! Again, I feel it is more balanced then a BR harness. This is just my opinion of course.



RichardLavigne
Registered: Jan 13, 2007
Total Posts: 5353
Country: United States

^^^ Come on jeff, quit holding out, post the pictures of you with the Moneymaker on...



RichardLavigne
Registered: Jan 13, 2007
Total Posts: 5353
Country: United States

paparazzinick wrote:
TTLKurtis wrote:



Thanks... Now I have to spend $200 to get the strap I want


That looks so pimp... wow.



Swaggart
Registered: Oct 09, 2012
Total Posts: 111
Country: United States

Ghost wrote:
Those HF looks like a standard baller gear.

I am unconvinced of its ergonomics when a size-able camera and lenses are strapped with it. But it's just from my own visual observation of the strap itself. Those metal buckle rivets give me pause as well.

If you don't want the "Call of Duty" look, there are tons of neat artisan straps available online. Saw a few in Amazon too.


HAHA I don't know what "standard baller gear" means, should I take that as a compliment?

But I carry a 300 2.8 on a D3x often, along with 2 other cameras in tow so I designed the straps to be able to handle what I carry on a regular basis, so for me and many others it works great! I've been a pro for many years and didn't set out to make pretty camera straps, I consider design as form and function working together-I don't think one should ever outweigh the other. Of course that becomes subjective!



the_rebel
Registered: Oct 26, 2005
Total Posts: 1230
Country: Canada

mosier wrote:
the_rebel wrote:
A friend of mine shot a wedding with me and it was the first time i saw a HF strap in person.
Unfortunately i asked him if he made it himself since i had no clue what it was
The ends of the straps started to curl a little and to me it looked like old waist belts that were re-used for a camera strap...The belt style loop and pin made it look more so Definitely wouldn't guess that it's an actual product being sold for the money they are. Doesn't matter if it's leather or not.
Functionality aside, the strap to me was ugly, and looked cheap and home made


That's interesting. I have the black water buffalo straps and have shot 6 weddings with them. They still look as new and operate perfectly. Far better then my Black Rapid straps did. To each there own I guess.



Here's what i'm talking about.
Sorry for the bad shot, the focus was not on Lew (he's on here) he just managed to step into my shot during the garter toss, but you can clearly see what i'm talking about.







With the loop rollers and the utility hoops it just looks "cheap" to me. At that point i really don't care how comfortable or functional it might be since it looks like i riveted two old leather belts together

I personally use a Camera Slingers harness....it's far from the best, their customer service leaves much to be desired, and the price is outrageous, but that the time i got it, it was the best i can get, and looks very incognito when i wear it. It could use a connecting strap on the back to prevent cameras from swinging when leaning.


mosier
Registered: Feb 02, 2008
Total Posts: 1723
Country: United States

Yeah, mine doesn't look at all like that.



Swaggart
Registered: Oct 09, 2012
Total Posts: 111
Country: United States

Well first of all he's wearing it upside down. But when it comes to the wear on the leather, I have no control over how someone will wear the product or what they'll put it through. And I personally love the look of leather as it ages, it tells the stories of all of my shoots and I like that. And of course that's my taste and I understand if you think differently!

I don't use cheap materials and these are built to not only last you, but you'll be able to let your children use these-I consider everything I build as heirloom pieces. I chose the materials I chose because they last and not fail.



the_rebel
Registered: Oct 26, 2005
Total Posts: 1230
Country: Canada

give it time, i'm sure it will, after all it is leather.
6 weddings is hardly putting it through it's paces.

I'm guessing Lew has shot well over 30 weddings with that strap.
My CS strap still looks brand new after about 80 weddings, my Rstraps are still sitting around somwhere and they have had quite a bit of use on them as well...



Swaggart
Registered: Oct 09, 2012
Total Posts: 111
Country: United States

Yeah I've got almost 2 years of near daily use on my MoneyMaker and I get stopped everywhere I go with people asking me where to get one, before this I've never even heard of a compliment on a strap...but either way, it's to each his own! There are plenty of great choices out there



CTWalter
Registered: Oct 19, 2009
Total Posts: 142
Country: United States

Me using the MoneyMaker Black Bison Dual Camera System.

I have two D4's with G Glass up to 70-200 VRII with total confidence. So much so, that I got the brown bison version too. Great customer service and second to none quality. Made in the USA



Inku Yo
Registered: Nov 29, 2007
Total Posts: 4456
Country: Afghanistan

the_rebel wrote:
mosier wrote:
the_rebel wrote:
A friend of mine shot a wedding with me and it was the first time i saw a HF strap in person.
Unfortunately i asked him if he made it himself since i had no clue what it was
The ends of the straps started to curl a little and to me it looked like old waist belts that were re-used for a camera strap...The belt style loop and pin made it look more so Definitely wouldn't guess that it's an actual product being sold for the money they are. Doesn't matter if it's leather or not.
Functionality aside, the strap to me was ugly, and looked cheap and home made


That's interesting. I have the black water buffalo straps and have shot 6 weddings with them. They still look as new and operate perfectly. Far better then my Black Rapid straps did. To each there own I guess.



Here's what i'm talking about.
Sorry for the bad shot, the focus was not on Lew (he's on here) he just managed to step into my shot during the garter toss, but you can clearly see what i'm talking about.







With the loop rollers and the utility hoops it just looks "cheap" to me. At that point i really don't care how comfortable or functional it might be since it looks like i riveted two old leather belts together

I personally use a Camera Slingers harness....it's far from the best, their customer service leaves much to be desired, and the price is outrageous, but that the time i got it, it was the best i can get, and looks very incognito when i wear it. It could use a connecting strap on the back to prevent cameras from swinging when leaning.

I don't see how the leather would roll like that unless he's rolling it up after using it and storing it like that.


Swaggart
Registered: Oct 09, 2012
Total Posts: 111
Country: United States

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swaggart/8080747523/in/photostream


Honestly not trying to be defensive here, but I can guarantee that the strap in this photo has more wear on it than the other one. It was the very first one made in the Water Buffalo hide and has been worn nearly everyday.



StephenAndrew
Registered: Oct 31, 2011
Total Posts: 45
Country: United States

Question for you Money Maker owners out there - do you find the cameras swing around if you lean/bend forwards, or do they stay put by your side? I've used other dual straps before, but my main gripe was that they would swing like pendulums and bang against each other if I had to bend down. I'm using a Spider belt now, which doesn't have that problem, but the metal clips dig into my hips so I'm looking around for another solution. The Money Maker looks great, but if the cameras swing about too freely then it's a deal breaker.



1       2      
3
       4       5       end