3       end

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

mco_970 wrote:
Oh well, back to stalking Jacob, I guess

Hey, I heard that!

xbarcelo
Total Posts: 487

Richard, since you're around, I'm wondering if you could make an adapter for the C/Y AE lenses, in particular I'm interested in the Distagon 18. Leitax offers replacements for the MM mount, but they don't seem to be all that interested in the AE, which happens to be the most usual one (at least, the cheaper one). If you were to make them, I kind of think that it would be of interest to quite a few people.
Let us know if you decide to do it,

Xavier

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

What about the C/Y 35/1.4?

hiepphotog
Total Posts: 824

mortyb wrote:

You have to convert it to M42 using Leitax. And the best M42 to Alpha is probably from James Lao.

sebboh
Total Posts: 9676

richard if i were you, i'd would make a batch of 20 or so spacers for the rokkor and put them up on ebay with directions on how to replace the spacer, mount (you could always add some chipped adapters to the package too), and tune infinity focus. i wish i had done that that when i converted mine, there seems to be a lot of demand and it's a lot quicker to do 20 on the lathe than go back to the lathe 20 times. i also cringe everytime i hear about people grinding down the minolta spacer. i'm really surprised leitax doesn't have a replacement mount for sony since they have one for eos and they would be basically the same.

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

hiepphotog wrote:
mortyb wrote:

You have to convert it to M42 using Leitax. And the best M42 to Alpha is probably from James Lao.

Thanks!

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

mco_970 wrote:
Anything Nikon mount (Nikkor, Zeiss ZF, Voigt) - easier conversion

The FFD of Nikon is bigger than Sony. So why not a simple adapter?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

xbarcelo
Total Posts: 487

Because the throat is not wide enough, or so I've heard

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Oh...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

ebookman
Total Posts: 483

I just had my Rokkor 58mm 1.2 converted to M42 instead of Sony Alpha. Now I can use the lens on my A77 or my Nex 5N

sebboh

ebookman wrote:
I just had my Rokkor 58mm 1.2 converted to M42 instead of Sony Alpha. Now I can use the lens on my A77 or my Nex 5N

wait, how is that different than converting it to alpha mount where you could use it on both?

artur5
Total Posts: 439

sebboh wrote:
ebookman wrote:

wait, how is that different than converting it to alpha mount where you could use it on both?

M42 instead of Alpha could be cautious foreboding for a possible swap to Canon or Pentax .

sebboh

artur5 wrote:
sebboh wrote:
ebookman wrote:

M42 instead of Alpha could be cautious foreboding for a possible swap to Canon or Pentax .

yeah, it's not great for IBIS on alpha mount though.

hiepphotog

^^How's it so? I think as long as you have it chipped correctly, IBIS would be the same.

sebboh

hiepphotog wrote:
^^How's it so? I think as long as you have it chipped correctly, IBIS would be the same.

well you need an adapter, so you either need to buy an extra adapter for each lens with a chip or use the same adapter and have some lenses pass the wrong focal length to IBIS.

hiepphotog

James Lao can do 4 different focal and aperture combos in one chip. His M42 adapter is among the accurately aligned ones as well.

Steve Spencer
Total Posts: 6990

Getting a not-too-$$ solution for a Sony A99 is a bit of a challenge because Olympus OM and Minolta MC/MD lenses, which can represent some great bang for the buck, are more difficult for A-mount. With that said there are still some great possibilities out there. Here would be my budget solution for A-mount

Basic set of primes:

Wide angle: C/Y mount Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 converted with Leitax -- your might also look at the new Voigtlander SLII 28mm f/2.8 which is due out shortly with a Leitax conversion.

Normalish: Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 with conversion discussed in this thread or Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 with a Leitax conversion. If you prefer 50mm then the two C/Y 50's 1.4 and 1.7 are both very good and fairly inexpensive. I also like the Leica R 50 summicron especially with the Leica close-up lens for close focus work. If you prefer shorter than 50, the the Voigtlander 40 f/2 is a decent option as well.

For a fast short tele I would go with the Samyang 85mm f/1.4

If a slower short tele the C/Y 100 f/3.5 or the Nikon 105 f/2.5 are both excellent lenses. The C/Y is a fantastic landscape lens and the Nikon is quite wonderful for portraits. From what I have seem the Minolta A mount f/2 is just a tremendous lens and although not exactly cheap, I think it is an excellent value.

If you want ultra wide angle cheap, it gets harder. The Voigtlander 20 f/3.5 or one of the Nikon 20s are not too expensive, but they have their weaknesses. You can of course use the ZF 21 f/2.8, but it isn't cheap, but this dilemma is not unique to A-mount, but rather is an issue for every system.

For 200ish lenses the I think Nikon ED 180 f/2.8 is very good value for the money.

Basically, there are tons of options for Sony A-mount. Maybe not quite as many as Canon, but still lots of choice. Personally my main concern would be lack of tilt/shift options, but that is not a not-too-$$ issue.

mco_970 wrote:
I am seeing:

Anything Nikon mount (Nikkor, Zeiss ZF, Voigt) - easier conversion
Some Leicas - how are they to convert?
Some Contax - tricky conversion

What about other lenses?

Do Rokkors require conversion? For ex. 58/1.2?

What would a nice, not-too-$$$ alt setup for Sony A99 include?

sebboh

hiepphotog wrote:
James Lao can do 4 different focal and aperture combos in one chip. His M42 adapter is among the accurately aligned ones as well.

i've heard they have the tendency to spontaneously change focal length though. never used one, but i ran into similar issues with a variable focal length chip when i shot olympus that ruined a few shots.

hiepphotog

I have not heard any problem with James' multi focal chip. He's pretty much the best guy in the business and I personally have used 7 chips from him, though single focal only.

timballic
Total Posts: 699

ricardovaste wrote:
Some people just can't focus is well enough (patience, skill, eye problems), and often that combines to people calling it 'soft' or 'useless at 1.2'. I have experienced some that have a glow at 1.2, but the detail is still there, but of course I personally prefer glow-less as it's just a cleaner picture that way.

mco_970, forgive me an "aside", not to hijack the thread, but I thought all 58/1.2s "glowed" at 1.2. mine certainly does. Are the later rubber sleeve one's less prone to this? Mine is a "yellowed" optics, metal ribbed style.

The A99 with that angled LCD is certainly a draw...If I didn't have so much EF and EF adapted glass......

3       end